Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Run With the Ferrari 360...CONT

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 11:33 AM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nissansource
i always do a glance but on a power straight i rarely focus on gauges let alone many. I look at oil pressure and af only for the sec
I glance on the straight as well....maybe I'm looking too long but I scan them all.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:35 AM
nissansource

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
I glance on the straight as well....maybe I'm looking too long but I scan them all.

pretty much on a WOT run is when ill take a quick peek. never on partial
Old 07-06-2006, 11:41 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by USED
No we are not. We are keeping with the pretense of a "daily driver" as originally stated. That's 91 octane and such. It's unfair to begin with. I'm just keeping the parameters as similar as possible.
Both race pads, and race gas are legal for street use and available. I used to have race pads in my daily driven Z and there is 100 octane at the pump in select gas stations around town.

It all depends on what you consider street legal. Technically even Hoosier road racing tires are DOT approved, but Hoosier will tell you that they are not intended for street use.

So my opinion stands that race pads and 100 octane are fair game as is R-Compound tires. Hoosiers may be stretching it a little, but an R-Compound raidal is for sure fair game in my eyes.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:43 AM
nissansource

i agree 100%
Old 07-06-2006, 11:52 AM
Nismo350ZRT

+1. If you can buy it at a gas station, it's totally legal. I run with a 92/101 mix for a nice 96 octane.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:53 AM
mraturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by 350ZNV
Both race pads, and race gas are legal for street use and available. I used to have race pads in my daily driven Z and there is 100 octane at the pump in select gas stations around town.

It all depends on what you consider street legal. Technically even Hoosier road racing tires are DOT approved, but Hoosier will tell you that they are not intended for street use.

So my opinion stands that race pads and 100 octane are fair game as is R-Compound tires. Hoosiers may be stretching it a little, but an R-Compound radial is for sure fair game in my eyes.
MB,

Where have you been...

I begged you to get off your *** this past Sunday to join me at Willow Springs so you could drive the Ferrari, But NO NOT EVEN A PHONE CALL BACK??? Oh well, the owner Joe can run 1:35 in an M3 so he is an awesome driver, just my G35 is a little faster than the Z we are challenged to build...So My G wasn't quite fair, exept I do want to point out my G weighs almost 500 lbs more than a G.

What a D....?

LOL

I am glad all are enjoying this, I have to admit I glance at my AF Gauge at the beginning of a session and even a freeway bounce with WOT, so maybe we need to consider at least that.

As for others, they are convenient and interesting, just don't have the time to glance and analyze, however I do know this, if over boost happens on the track...BYE BYE cause detonation comes quick after.

I do find that if we focus too much on the gauges, it can also be very distracting when it comes to lap times.

As for R Compound and pads, my contention is the Ferrari Stock with Whatever tire the Z is running. Just to not get any squabbling...Those tires are 4 seconds faster. Amazing what some Hoosier Rubber can do to your lap times?

As long as the cars have the exact same rubber or similar. Just don't want the Ferrari to show up with 355 slicks, wouldn't be a fair fight then. What am I saying, it isn't a fair fight from the beginning, David and Goliath with ONLY $20k budget, yet still up for the challenge.

Having fun and hope we can make this happen.

M

Last edited by mraturbo; 07-06-2006 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:58 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by mraturbo
Where have you been...I begged you to get off your *** this Sunday so you could drive the Ferrari, But NO NOT EVEN A PHONE CALL BACK???

What a D....?
I know I know. I was actually in Huntington Beach with some friends and forgot my cell phone charger back in Vegas so I didn't get your message until Tuesday night. My car is still down with that suspension issue from LVMS anyways. I have been lazy and haven't even taken my numbers off yet lol. If I would have known that I would have had the chance to even ride in a Ferrari 360 around Willow Springs I would have ditched my friends and made it out lol. Oh well. I will be at the ROVAL on the 21st though. I have already pre-paid for that one.

OFF TOPIC: I am delivering my G35 to you sometime this weekend for the supercharger removal, and I am thinking I can pick it up the 15th and drop my Z off to get that turbo seal fixed. Then maybe you can deliver that to me at Cal Speedway the 21st... I will give you a call in a little bit to discuss.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:02 PM
knight_white99

My car is very close to what VRT is talking about doing. I have a non-built motor with the JWT TT kit, some minor engine mods (Nismo cams, Crawford plenum and UR crank pulley), a larger radiator and oil cooler. I already had a Clutchmasters Stage 1 clutch and lighter flywheel and a Stillen exhaust.

For suspension mods, I have some cheap Tokico shocks and inexpensive Tom Motorsport springs, some Hotchkis sway bars and Cusco a-arms. That's it.

I have a set of 6-pot Rotora 14" brakes in front, and 4-pot rears.

Other than safety mods like a racing seat, Kirk roll bar and G-force harnesses, that's about it. I did have Mike add some Autometer gauges (I wanted these since I knew I would be tracking the car reglularly - I paid extra for them).

I have a set of track wheels and tires. So I think my car is already sort of setup to about the same level as we are talking about.

I am still learning to drive this car now that I have the JWT TT kit installed, and was just learning the Willow Springs main track this weekend, but I think I am a qualified driver and am willing to try this with my own car if no one steps up with the $20K.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:02 PM
mraturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by o snap its eric
i want to know more about this custom coil-over from VRT has to offer? How much to buy it separately? How does it compare to the other coil-overs out there? I sent you a PM and has not gotten a response back, perhaps you can answer this on a thread or you can PM me. Thanks
We are only prototyping them on our race cars for now. Will keep you posted ASAP, they will compare to Tein Flex and JIC, just with a better street ride because of dampening.

SOON...

M
Old 07-06-2006, 12:09 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by mraturbo
We are only prototyping them on our race cars for now. Will keep you posted ASAP, they will compare to Tein Flex and JIC, just with a better street ride because of dampening.

SOON...

M
Monotube? Sorry hard to guess. The Teins are twin tube and the JIC are mono..
Old 07-06-2006, 12:15 PM
symalik

so is USED sending the car or what? or the deal is not happening because of Gauges?
Old 07-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Kevd007

Exclamation Exhaust???

Hey Mike,
on the VRT spec sheet, I didn't see any exhaust upgrades. That's not part of a Twin Turbo package? I thought to get the most out of the turbo there has to be an exhaust upgrade? hmm...

At any rate, sounds like you build em ta win...Wish I had 20k in hand!
Old 07-06-2006, 12:17 PM
mraturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by Kevd007
Hey Mike,
on the VRT spec sheet, I didn't see any exhaust upgrades. That's not part of a Twin Turbo package? I thought to get the most out of the turbo there has to be an exhaust upgrade? hmm...

At any rate, sounds like you build em ta win...Wish I had 20k in hand!
No Exhaust needed. Stock is fine at this level.

If racing Test Pipes would be cool and definitely let her breath better. If we were making more than 500 WHP, at least a 2.25 dual would help yet Test pipes make a huge difference on the track for TT car.

M

Last edited by mraturbo; 07-06-2006 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Navygolf13

Amazing what happend on here in a couple of hours. Sorry I was not here to respond to my post, but as has been said there is a time and place for the gauges and most of the time on the track no one is looking at them, as Mike said on the freeway at WOT sure, but going around a track, I do not find much time to look at them.
As far as being something to safely run the car for a long time sure....but for this instance do you need them? No. I don't think so. I run EGT, Boost, and A/F...honestly I do not look at them all that much. Should I look at them more? Yes.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Bullitproof

***These are not prices sourced by VRT. This is just me doing a search of some of the online companies a normal person would use. VRT's prices may be lower or higher***

Here is What VRT Will Offer USED for his $20k in 350Z Modifications
* Obviously this doesn't include any applicable tax.
* As mentioned, No Turbo Kits in California are CARB as of yet so this build is for OFF ROAD PURPOSES ONLY.

FI
JWT Twin Turbo Kit/ Out of the Box
-BB530 Turbos- 7800 dollars-Inter-cooler for the 350Z
-Split Second Air/Fuel/Timing control
-Fuel/Boost Pressure Regulator included
-Waste Gate Springs Adjusted to 8.5 PSI
-Install 20 hours (I believe this is VERY forgiving-$2000. You guys gotta be at 100 dollars and hour for labor)
- Don't forget tuning(unless you confident this kit will run 400whp out the box) 500 dollars
Clutch and Flywheel
* If Needed ONLY...You need a clutch for 20 laps at over 400rwtrq
JWT Clutch and Flywheel-700 dollars
-Install 500 dollars
Brakes
Ap Racing
6 Piston Fr/14.25 and 4 Piston Rear-5000 dollars-Install 500(we are talking new calipers, rotors, lines, and bleeding the system)
Rear End
Stock 350Z Rear End - Assuming this isn't a One Wheeled Wonder!
-I'll leave this one alone for now
Suspension
VRT Custom Coil Over for the 350Z-2000 dollars(tein flex and edfc)
Stillen Adjustable Sways Front and Rear-(300 dollars)
VRT Front Camber for the 350Z/G35-Stillen front camber arms- 800 dollars
VRT Rear Camber/Toe-Stillen rear camber arms-400 dollars
-Install the camber arms plus corner balance and alignment(1000 dollars)
Wheels
Enkei NT03 +M 18” MAT track wheels 9.5”F/10.5”R

Tires
Nitto NT-01 275/35 F and 315/30R or
Kumho ECSTA V710 285/18/30 and 315/18/30
* 350z and 360 Ferrari are to run on the EXACT SAME TIRE Brand and Size...
Just for the sake of argument, i'll say 2500 dollars for wheels and tires
Cooling
VRT Upgraded Radiator and Oil Cooler-800 dollars(koyo rad, stillen cooler)
* High capacity aluminum radiator
Nismo 1.3 Bar Radiator Cap
- install 300 dollars
ECU
JWT ECU Re-flash for 7300 Rev and Top Speed

Boost Controller
None - Springs set to 8.5 PSI

Gauges
No Gauges Necessary, car will be tuned for 8.5 PSI and Air/Fuel Ratios in healthy 11s
- You've gotta be nuts to run a car on the track with no guages at all
Boost-100 dollars
Wideband-350 dollars
oil press-150 dollars
install-300 dollars

Other
Light Weight Pully System-330 dollars(unorthodox set)-install 200 dollars

Profit and Labor
Yes, we have calculated a Profit that makes sense for VRT. ( what does this mean? This is supposed to be what you would charge a normal cutomer, not how low you can keep your profit margin)Trust me, would love to put at least a built bottom-end (rods and pistons) to boost 12 PSI yet then it wouldn't make sense to even VRT at $20k (NO PROFIT).

LOL...Would make this easier for sure to Beat the Ferrari 360 to simply turn up the boost EVEN on the track with Race Fuel (100 Octane Unleaded would be fine) however would like to keep the power reasonable, - what the hell. We have raced many Non-Built motor on the track on racefuel with great results at 10 PSI, that will be a decision for race day. We are having fun at any rate.
Note: We do not ship the JWT kits to other shops so what their or your estimated cost for install doesn't apply. It is what VRT can do it for! USED said a $20k budget and I said, send the car and he will get what he wanted, a Z that can beat a 360 on the road race track. Please don't waste my time about there is NO WAY WE CAN DO THIS FOR THIS PRICE. VRT will do this for this price! If you have any doubts, send the car and the $20k and let's get the show on the road - No hesitation from VRT.

Tuned Power Expectations
410 WHP and 400 Ft/Lbs Torque (with no exhaust at 8lbs of boost?)
-Exhaust(1000 Dollars)
Special Notes
Legal Disclaimer (Remember we are on a Public Forum)
USED Will provide a 350Z to VRT. We will build him the car with $20k (not including applicable tax) in modifications for the purpose of Racing Off-Road. VRT contends these modifications will allow the Z with a QUALIFIED driver the ability to Compete and Yes (We will see - Beat) a Ferrari 360 Modena (With Same Tires) in a 20 Lap Timed Trial Event at Willow Springs Raceway. Best Time Wins for the 20 laps! In the end, We can ONLY hope for the best. I am just stoked that Nissan has created an Fm Platform with the VQ that can even compete at any Supercar level with a reasonable amount of modifications. You might say, How Is $20k reasonable when you can buy the car used for almost $20k? And you put $20k into it.

Well Precisely, for an estimated $40k+, you have a legit Sports Car Road or Track that can compete with cars in price ranges from $75-$200k! Not bad as far as VRT is concerned.

Grand total 27,000 dollars approximately, not including the car. Now I'm sure that there are places that you can cut your costs to try to bring you closer to the limit, but i don't see it happening. also, as far as i know altered atmosphere in maryland and performance factory in new york both do jwt installs. correct me if i'm wrong. if you guys get a minute or two please list your pricing up agsainst your build sheet so we the masses can see what prices are parts and what is labor. that would probably help a lot of your customer base decide if this 20,000 dollar package is worth it.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:35 PM
MoodDude

Sorry, but I have to say this:
If you take a stock Z and just add some R-Compounds to the car and do some free weight reduction mods I bet you could beat a stock 360 on a road coarse! Weight is everything on a road coarse and the TT set up adds a ton of weight to the car! And Tires are so much more important than the difference between 300 hp and 400hp on a road coarse. And before you go and flame me - I do have TT Z that I take to the track.

Although most people won't like the interior to the car since it will be stripped, but I think it would look so much better than all that heavy plastic!

There you go - a Z that will beat a 360 for the cost of 4 tires.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Bullitproof

That's not the point of this thread mood dude
Old 07-06-2006, 01:50 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Oooh, I forgot about free weight reduction.

Bullitproof - Good research, but I think the target is in range. Camber and toe arms can be had for way cheaper, labor is a little on the high side for some of the things, exhaust is not necessary and neither are the gauges. Very possible to hit $20k.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Nismo350ZRT

Originally Posted by 350ZNV
Oooh, I forgot about free weight reduction.

Bullitproof - Good research, but I think the target is in range. Camber and toe arms can be had for way cheaper, labor is a little on the high side for some of the things, exhaust is not necessary and neither are the gauges. Very possible to hit $20k.
You VRT guys sound like broken records. Just provide a breakdown on the price of parts and installation. We're all still waiting...
Old 07-06-2006, 01:54 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by MoodDude
Sorry, but I have to say this:
If you take a stock Z and just add some R-Compounds to the car and do some free weight reduction mods I bet you could beat a stock 360 on a road coarse! Weight is everything on a road coarse and the TT set up adds a ton of weight to the car! And Tires are so much more important than the difference between 300 hp and 400hp on a road coarse. And before you go and flame me - I do have TT Z that I take to the track.

Although most people won't like the interior to the car since it will be stripped, but I think it would look so much better than all that heavy plastic!

There you go - a Z that will beat a 360 for the cost of 4 tires.
You really think that with equal drivers, a weight stripped 350Z on hoosiers can beat a 360 Modena? Not that much weight can be removed from the Z without spending money. My Z weighed 3240 before, then I added a TT and gutted the car, lighter wheels, carbon hatch, lexan rear window, replace steering wheel, removed airbags, changed seats, and much much much more, and it still weighs 3240 lbs. So all of that weight reduction didn't even equal the added weight of a TT setup and a few other small things. I would be suprised if you could get more than 100 lbs off of the Z without spending a dime and still keeping it street legal (IE, keeping the air bags, door bars, and bumper supports)

Quick Reply: Run With the Ferrari 360...CONT