Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Will 2 JWT popchargers on a PE TT kit work well?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 12:41 AM
AParshall04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will 2 JWT popchargers on a PE TT kit work well?

Hey guys, I have been posting a lot of questions here latey because my PE tt kit should be on the doorstep any day now.

I have a popcharger on my car right now and i was wondering if you guys think it would be a good idea to buy another popcharger (assuming the first one fits) and put them on the kit rather than the "air impulse" air intakes that come with the kit.

I was just thinking the JWT filters seem to perform so well and i have never heard of anyone using an air impulse filter for anything else besides the pe kit itself.

All feedback is appreciated,
Alex

Last edited by AParshall04; 07-30-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:55 AM
AParshall04

bump
Old 07-30-2006, 11:55 AM
AParshall04

bump
Old 07-30-2006, 02:32 PM
BrokeZ

There is nothing wrong with using the PE air filters..they probably work just as well as the JWT. If the PE filters are used and are kinda dirty, im sure you could fit the JWT filters in there, there is decent space (unless JWT filters are huuge, never seen them in person). Good luck with the kit! Let me know how it turns out
Old 07-30-2006, 02:41 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by BrokeZ
There is nothing wrong with using the PE air filters..they probably work just as well as the JWT. If the PE filters are used and are kinda dirty, im sure you could fit the JWT filters in there, there is decent space (unless JWT filters are huuge, never seen them in person). Good luck with the kit! Let me know how it turns out
They are pretty huge. I'm not familiar with the space allowed on the PETT kit, however...
Old 07-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would honestly just replace them with K&N filters. Just get the size and go to the K&N web site and match it up.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:04 PM
KTaylor

really doubt you could fit them in the PE location. if this is a must for you scrap the PE piping all together and reroute it all with bigger piping . but then your talkin real big money. Im also trying to decide on a filter to use but im going to be relocating their position and replacing the intercooler/piping. let me know what you decide on going with
Old 07-30-2006, 04:43 PM
AParshall04

eh, ill probably just end up using the air impulses to avoid extra work. From pics it looks like the Popchargers may fit though. I could be ghetto and have 1 pop charger and 1 air impulse lol. Of course i guess that would mean different air flows to each turbo and that might not be the best idea.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:39 PM
BrokeZ

Originally Posted by AParshall04
eh, ill probably just end up using the air impulses to avoid extra work. From pics it looks like the Popchargers may fit though. I could be ghetto and have 1 pop charger and 1 air impulse lol. Of course i guess that would mean different air flows to each turbo and that might not be the best idea.
It'll work but it wont look pretty. The difference between the two filters wont affect the airflow to the turbo. I wouldnt worry about that.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:38 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

pop chargers are too large for the original PE airfilter location...

the PE airfilter is a pretty big restriction if u plan on running big boost over 9+.. you're best bet would be opening up the air inlet into the turbos with custom piping-
Old 07-30-2006, 09:54 PM
KTaylor

Originally Posted by Chebosto
you're best bet would be opening up the air inlet into the turbos with custom piping-
Chebosto have you done this? if so what type of gains did u see?
Old 07-31-2006, 02:19 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by KTaylor
Chebosto have you done this? if so what type of gains did u see?
in the process of modifying the piping...

from one quick test, i got like nearly half more PSI of sustained boost into the engine from taking OFF the air filters when i was on the dyno-, just leaving the velocity stack at the end of it- but i would assume most turbos would be able to get more power w/ no restrictions like that...

i'll let you know after the piping is finished how much more gain you can get from modifying the air inlet and turbo charge pipes.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:12 PM
KTaylor

from one quick test, i got like nearly half more PSI of sustained boost into the engine from taking OFF the air filters when i was on the dyno-, just leaving the velocity stack at the end of it- but i would assume most turbos would be able to get more power w/ no restrictions like that...

i'll let you know after the piping is finished how much more gain you can get from modifying the air inlet and turbo charge pipes.

will do. i cant wait to get my car back and test/ retune it
Old 07-31-2006, 05:23 PM
ryan350z

I been toying with this idea for my greddy system, not much room in the bay. How does the PE kit look for room? I was going to fab some pipe and route the filters above the intercooler. It is onhold till after my move into my castle next month.

RYan
Old 08-02-2006, 11:05 AM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

pop chargers are too large for the original PE airfilter location...

the PE airfilter is a pretty big restriction if u plan on running big boost over 9+.. you're best bet would be opening up the air inlet into the turbos with custom piping-
Really Ches?

You think the filters are the limitation? The turbo design itself is a 45mm openign, hence the 45mm piping design (I thought). So you are redisning the piping? please tell me more about this, or call me when you can.

- Gurgen
Old 08-02-2006, 11:57 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by GurgenPB
Really Ches?

You think the filters are the limitation? The turbo design itself is a 45mm openign, hence the 45mm piping design (I thought). So you are redisning the piping? please tell me more about this, or call me when you can.

- Gurgen

yea- been talking with howard about this- he says for bigger boost i gotta open it up, and make the filtration better.

also that Y section right before the Intercooler is a jam too.. i'm losing 3 psi thru : the charge pipe coming right out of the turbo, y collector, intercooler, and into the throttle body. i'm interested in seeing how your flexible pipes are doing. i know you related the filter else where--
Old 08-02-2006, 02:56 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

yea- been talking with howard about this- he says for bigger boost i gotta open it up, and make the filtration better.

also that Y section right before the Intercooler is a jam too.. i'm losing 3 psi thru : the charge pipe coming right out of the turbo, y collector, intercooler, and into the throttle body. i'm interested in seeing how your flexible pipes are doing. i know you related the filter else where--
You mean a total of 3 psi drop measured between the turbo charge pipe and before the TB?

I happen to think that the filters are more than sufficient. It;s very important to relocate them for better/cooler air induction. Also, remember that I had that Y-piece refabbed (thanks to Tony of Motordyne), so i do not think I have any pressure drops now. I will be taking pressure measurements pre/post IC , pre-post the Y-piece to hopefully understand if/where the pressure drops are?

I also strongly feel that a further opened up exhaust will help, espicially the test pipes.

- Gurgen
Old 08-02-2006, 06:19 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Please keep us posted!
Old 08-02-2006, 06:43 PM
KTaylor

--
What type of air filteres are you goin with?

Originally Posted by GurgenPB
I happen to think that the filters are more than sufficient. It;s very important to relocate them for better/cooler air induction.
- Gurgen
where did you relocate your filters to?

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2006, 07:23 PM
mchapman

Thats true, any turbo responds well to less restriction infront of the compressor inlet.

Quick Reply: Will 2 JWT popchargers on a PE TT kit work well?