Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech Supercharger!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 03:11 PM
AKAkracker247

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech Supercharger!?!?

On another forum on another website, I asked about any other brand of supercharger besides Stillen was being made. Someone told me that Vortech was supposively making a non-eaton supercharger (so you don't have to replace your hood). I don't know about you guys but i'd sure buy it!
Old 02-25-2003, 03:31 PM
AKAkracker247

Any comments? Or has anyone else heard about this? Please reply..Thanks!
Old 02-25-2003, 03:43 PM
inG35coupe

I can't wait to see what it looks like. Maybe they could tune it to produce big HP
Old 02-25-2003, 04:06 PM
blackS

...you know, it would be a really good idea if we had a lot of people in here start e-mailing Vortech and Jackson Racing about wanting a SuperCharger kit for the Z. What really determines wheather a kit for any car gets made or not and how fast, is if the company thinks that there will be a good demand for it. I would think that especially with the situation of so many peole being turned-off of the Stillen unit because of the location/hood, it would make it even more desireable for a big-name company to develop another kit, but they need to know that there's interest, and that we don't want to have to get a new hood to fit it. Perfect example is the JR supercharger for the RSX-S which at one point JR said wouldn't get made because of spacing issues, but there were so many people from clubrsx.com asking them about the kit over and over, that they finally showed the working kit at SEMA this year...
Old 02-25-2003, 10:13 PM
Jason

Right, Vortech superchargers are centrifugal. They have an impeller very similar to that of a turbo and are placed at the front of the motor instead of the rear. Their power delivery characteristics are a lot like a turbo as well. Their S2000 kit turned out amazing.

I'd really love to see a Vortech supercharger kit for the Z. However, I don't think they have much background with Nissans, so who knows. I haven't heard anything official about a supercharger from them.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:15 PM
Jason

As for JR... they started off with Miatas and then added Honda products. A lot of their product base seems to revolve around how easily they can re-use applications across vehicles.

Why else would they make a kit for the CR-V?
Old 02-26-2003, 04:34 AM
gfornal

Well, Vortech did make a nice kit for the s2000. It put good numbers down on the dyno, but when put out in the real world the car was not that much faster for the amount of money you spent for the kit.

The vortech suprecharger is a centrifical supercharger which is same thing as a turbo, but belt driven. A turbo uses waste from the car to make power and the vortech increase drive train loss to turn it.

Jackson racing only makes roots style suprechargers not centrifical. If Vortech can come out with a kit I'm sure it will be popular.

My vote is turbocharger... but that is just my 2cents.

thanks,
Greg
Old 02-26-2003, 03:00 PM
ITR#203

Actually, I was under the impression that Jackson Racing started with Hondas. However, they bought out a company called Moss Motors (I think?) that focused on roots type superchargers for Miatas. I've talked to Jackson personally, and he seems like a knowlegable guys but certainly, his focus now is selling as many superchargers as possible, and his opinions were kinda biased if you ask me. Also, the supercharger systems he makes are questionable at times. For example, the system for Integra type R's produced up to 40 hp less than advertised b/c they didnt adress the ITR ECU dumping in way too much fuel at high rpms to guard against knock. It's taken these guys a lot of time and money to get it up to the advertised price.

As far as Vortech goes, I think it is just what 350z owners need. You guys have plenty of low end torque, but it falls off around 5500 rpms to redline. Because a centrifugal superchargers are controled by engine revs, at low rpms you will get little to no boost. By 1/2 your engine's capable rpms, you will have 1/4 of the max boost. From then, boost increases exponentially to redline. For S2000 guys, it turned good point gains and people like it cause it doesnt change the fun peaky power output BUT a roots type (which wouldnt fit) or a quick spooling turbo would be better cause the car needs low end help.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:28 PM
MardiGrasMax

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stillen used a Vortech blower on their Maxima VQ30DE SC kit. I have one and am geting pretty good results. For a VQ35DE add ~50whp more according to Desktop Dyno 2k

The actual totals were 439whp/389wtq

Last edited by MardiGrasMax; 02-26-2003 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:00 PM
Jason

Let's email Vortech and ask
Old 02-26-2003, 09:07 PM
raceboy
Banned

I was at Vortech the other day and all I can tell you is that a supercharger is coming, but nothing has been started yet except for measurements.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:18 PM
AntiPXT

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
Stillen used a Vortech blower on their Maxima VQ30DE SC kit. I have one and am geting pretty good results. For a VQ35DE add ~50whp more according to Desktop Dyno 2k

The actual totals were 439whp/389wtq
Man those are some awesome numbers!!!
Old 02-27-2003, 12:23 PM
350z_taquito

what's the point of going w/ a centrifugal sc? you get the worst of both worlds, the lag of tc and the parasitic loss of sc.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:28 PM
jran76

Originally posted by AntiPXT
Man those are some awesome numbers!!!
MardiGras runs the smallest pully available, and has many more mods than just the S/C. However, he is on stock internals if that tells you anything about the potential of this motor.

I think people seriously underestimate the potential of the VQ motor, us Maxima guys have know it for a while.

I here a lot of comments about the compression and aluminum block, but 400 RWHP I do not think will be a problem. As I have said before if you tune it right (as MardiGras has done, he turns back timing at high boost I believe) it will be reliable. It won't run to 200,000+ miles like a N/A VQ, but it WILL last.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:31 PM
jran76

Originally posted by 350z_taquito
what's the point of going w/ a centrifugal sc? you get the worst of both worlds, the lag of tc and the parasitic loss of sc.
How is the lag that much worse than a Eaton type, I would like to hear your explanation. The priciple is similar, it is still driven off the crank. I think it is more a configuration issue. All the S/C Maxima's I have been in had no more lag than ANY car I have been in with a Eaton type blower.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:41 PM
AntiPXT

Originally posted by 350z_taquito
Well im assuming it would be cost($$$).

A centrifugal supercharger will give you some pretty descent hp up high, but its a steeper curve on the dyno. The thing with superchargers is that they can be pullied to provide boost earlier on and more boost at the high end.

While there is more parasitic loss than a turbo you dont really suffer from 'turbo lag' with a supercharger per se.

Just my .02
Old 02-27-2003, 12:46 PM
jran76

Someone point out the lag on Matt's dyno (MardiGras), it looks smooth as a babies *** to me. He uses a vortech (Stillen) V2 S/C.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:55 PM
mattwp103

Originally posted by raceboy
I was at Vortech the other day and all I can tell you is that a supercharger is coming, but nothing has been started yet except for measurements.
thats good b/c when i e-mailed them a few days ago they said that they havent started anything yet but may have a s/c by the end of the year