Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

what issues does the unichip have?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006 | 06:23 PM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

Default what issues does the unichip have?

what sort of bugs or glitches and issues doe the unichip have?

I'm assuming you can buy one that'll be able to run any sorta FI setup such as a vortech - I live near a unichip tuner.
Old 08-01-2006 | 06:27 PM
wtf no turbo

Just dont have alot of head room for big power. A couple have made good amouts with them but most will say above 500 go another route. The other downfall you have covered with a local shop. Buy my unichip next week from my aps st and the injectores to go with it 440s i believe for 600 bucks shipped.
Old 08-01-2006 | 07:51 PM
westpak
SFZCC
Premier Member

It depends on whether you are talking about the older (classic) unichip like what comes with the APS kits or the newer Q Unichip, the newer one can handle injector resizing which the older one can't, we have used it on an APS kit with built motor and tuned it to 500 RWHP with no issues, we will tune it for more later when the car comes back and see.
Old 08-01-2006 | 08:14 PM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

right now I'm using the emanage ultimate and there's some things about it I'm not happy with.

I'm not happy that it fried 3 of my coils and is in the process of frying more - I can tell when I start up the car and you'll occaionally make a mechanical sound that sounds like grinding a gear or something.

I can't use my hks ignition amplifier

and recently my A/F gauge sensor has either been damaged from a recent event (long story) or it's uncalibrated. This is important cause the EU is using that A/F for it's target A/F map and it's screwing it all up. I know I can disable that feature and not use the target A/F map.

My ECU is going to be scaled for my 750 injectors and have base map. I just need a piggyback to tweak the A/F and timing hopefully in a minor way and I'm tired of dealing with the emanage ultimate and want something with not as many issues and am thinking the unichip might be more what I'm looking for at this point.

So I don't need the unichip to do any injector scaling if my ECU is flashed to scale my injectors up. I've been told the engine will idle better like that as opposed to a piggyback doing the scaling.
Old 08-01-2006 | 09:21 PM
MIAPLAYA

I agree with Westpak. The old Windows 95 DOS based Unichip is a joke compared to the Unichip Q. I'm attaching some data on it from a Modified Mag article in which they used it to tune a Turbonetics powered car to 460/540 at 14 PSI.
Attached Thumbnails what issues does the unichip have?-thursday-july-06-2006-2-.jpg  
Old 08-01-2006 | 09:39 PM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

when and where can you get the unichip Q? At this point I'm interested
Old 08-02-2006 | 04:28 AM
westpak
SFZCC
Premier Member

Originally Posted by sentry65
when and where can you get the unichip Q? At this point I'm interested
It is out, all of the ones we have bought lately have been Q, just be careful that whoever you buy it from checks to make sure it is a Q and not an older one they might have left over in stock. It is easy, the Q has a Q on the serial number and also the plugs on the Unichip are black instead of white.

I posted some of the things the Q+ does on top of the Q version on this post https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ip#post2451926
Old 08-02-2006 | 04:44 AM
BrianLG35C

Can you update the older Unichips to a Unichip Q? When did the Q come out?
Old 08-02-2006 | 04:48 AM
westpak
SFZCC
Premier Member

The Q came out earlier this year.

You can exchange the older "classic" unichip in for the Q for a price if it was purchased after 01/01/06, but probably not the unichips that come with the APS kits because those are not from Unichip North America.
Old 08-02-2006 | 04:52 AM
BrianLG35C

I know a few Z/Gs have reached 500whp with the old chip. Can it be expected to exceed those numbers on a Unichip Q? What do they run $?
Old 08-02-2006 | 04:54 AM
BrianLG35C

Originally Posted by BrianLG35C
What do they run $?
Sorry, I missed your link.
Old 08-02-2006 | 05:12 AM
BrianLG35C

Originally Posted by westpak
It depends on whether you are talking about the older (classic) unichip like what comes with the APS kits or the newer Q Unichip, the newer one can handle injector resizing which the older one can't, we have used it on an APS kit with built motor and tuned it to 500 RWHP with no issues, we will tune it for more later when the car comes back and see.
Why can't the Unichip get over 500whp? Is it the MAF sensor?
Old 08-02-2006 | 06:12 AM
westpak
SFZCC
Premier Member

Originally Posted by BrianLG35C
Why can't the Unichip get over 500whp? Is it the MAF sensor?
It can do it, it just gets a little tough, not the MAF it has a clamp but more the injectors, since it can't resize you are limited by the adjustments on the fuel map and you will reach a point you can't lean out any more.
Old 08-02-2006 | 06:15 AM
MIAPLAYA

Some other things to add to that list Westpak posted.

Closed loop boost control that can also be tied to the 5 performance maps. Push one button and you can switch fuel, timing, and boost curve at once. Also the unichip Q can drive an intercooler sprayer or water/meth injection device based on user defined inputs. Theres also a multi map switch similar to the Utec that allows you to switch maps via a 5 position switch. Or you can change performance maps via the Bluetooth access to the Unichip. There is 6 channel data logging for 30 minutes via the Bluetooth link as well.
Old 08-02-2006 | 06:22 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Personally, i wouldnt use the old Unichip on high powered car anymore. I was a big EU fan, as everyone will recall, but as technology changes, progressive shops have to adapt. Right now, the UTEC or the Unichip Q are both good solutions. As you reach higher and higher power levels, you really need 100% complete control of fuel and timing. In this category, only the UTEC and the FCON/Mareli/AEM computers will suit the task.

Of course, you can make big power...even on a split second box. But making big power, and doing it safely for a long period of time are two different things. Heck, I made 622whp on an EU, but I dont plan on doing that ever again with the EU.

But no question, the Unichip Q is a huge upgrade from the original Unichip...just like the EU was a huge upgrade from the original emanage blue. The really cook feature of the Unichip, as that it can be adapted to work on just about ANY car. You can even run German cars on them.
Old 08-02-2006 | 07:50 AM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

if the unichip Q is out right now, who carries them? is there a Z specific harness? Are there a bunch of other harnesses you gotta get along with it like all the other piggybacks?

I'm suprised I didn't hear more about the Q's release if it's supposed to be really great. I mean when the EU or UTEC were simplly announced, there were huge threads everywhere talking about how great they are.
Old 08-02-2006 | 09:35 AM
westpak
SFZCC
Premier Member

if the unichip Q is out right now, who carries them? is there a Z specific harness? Are there a bunch of other harnesses you gotta get along with it like all the other piggybacks?

I'm suprised I didn't hear more about the Q's release if it's supposed to be really great. I mean when the EU or UTEC were simplly announced, there were huge threads everywhere talking about how great they are.
You didn't hear about it because hardly anyone in here could sell it or even tune it so therefore no vested interest in promoting it. We sell it and tune it but since it is autorized dealer/tuner driven we sell it for local cars and don't sell it much outside of that since you have to go to an authorized tuner anyway might as well buy it from them.

The Unichip is plug and play like the Utec, for FI you need to get a boost module so you can map with boost and it also can control the boost, you can also get a remote switch.
Old 08-02-2006 | 09:39 AM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

what about a supercharger like the vortech where the boost is controlled by the pulley and rpms? I'm not sure I really need teh boost controller
Old 08-02-2006 | 09:42 AM
taurran

what about a supercharger like the vortech where the boost is controlled by the pulley and rpms? I'm not sure I really need teh boost controller
I'm pretty sure it is a modular addon like the UTEC boost controller. You won't be able to control boost anyway, as you have no wastegate.
Old 08-02-2006 | 10:01 AM
westpak
SFZCC
Premier Member

Ah sorry I missed that, then all you need to do is supply a boost voltage signal and wire it to the Unichip

Quick Reply: what issues does the unichip have?