Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Well, I found out how much power the tranny can handle...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 05:28 PM
fito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my experiences, everything else inside is perfect and after rewelding, the trannys have been working perfectly.

The only tip would be to take the opportunity and put new syncros at least in third.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how much power you guys making down there in PR Fito??

you guys always seem to figure stuff out!! nice job

i have a 2500 dollar brand new ATS triple carbon clutch that i am thinking about not using cause i dont want to put it in and break the tranny, then be out a good tranny and a good clutch.

i am thinking about a TH 400 and be done with it, i am about 50/50 on what i am going to do...

FYI i am darton sleeved fully built greddy tt, i can only turn it up to 13 psi then the clutch starts slipping, (470-500 whp) so as soon as i put in the clutch or change the tranny, well then i am going to see what this can do!!!
Old 08-05-2006, 08:20 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by fito
In my experiences, everything else inside is perfect and after rewelding, the trannys have been working perfectly.

The only tip would be to take the opportunity and put new syncros at least in third.

i'll keep you posted and take some pics when i get the tranny opened up...

-Thanks again for sharing!

TODD
Old 08-06-2006, 12:10 PM
fito

Originally Posted by Performance Factory
how much power you guys making down there in PR Fito??

you guys always seem to figure stuff out!! nice job

i have a 2500 dollar brand new ATS triple carbon clutch that i am thinking about not using cause i dont want to put it in and break the tranny, then be out a good tranny and a good clutch.

i am thinking about a TH 400 and be done with it, i am about 50/50 on what i am going to do...

FYI i am darton sleeved fully built greddy tt, i can only turn it up to 13 psi then the clutch starts slipping, (470-500 whp) so as soon as i put in the clutch or change the tranny, well then i am going to see what this can do!!!

first, were in Orlado are you? I fly there all the time, but have been there two times to tune some 350z at CFT.

The first time the tranny problem happend @ 550hp and the second car had 601hp. Clutches on these cars are a pita! Normally a ACT with a solid disk "correctly instaled" (I'll go there in a sec.) will hold good. Tilton clutch will brake every axel you put there (no matter what STAGE it is). Carbon clutches normally put less stress on the tranny because they tend to slip a little before gripping, but have not test them yet. We are currently using ïn house modded" ACT clutches and have been hold good so far. The only upset is the pedal gets HARD for daily use.

We have lots of 350z's in the 500's and our top contender rigth now is a totally daily driven 690hp @18psi. We stoped @ 18psi because of injectors and not to fall into the headlift issue, but this car should be good into the 750hp.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:13 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

first, were in Orlado are you? I fly there all the time, but have been there two times to tune some 350z at CFT.

The first time the tranny problem happend @ 550hp and the second car had 601hp. Clutches on these cars are a pita! Normally a ACT with a solid disk "correctly instaled" (I'll go there in a sec.) will hold good. Tilton clutch will brake every axel you put there (no matter what STAGE it is). Carbon clutches normally put less stress on the tranny because they tend to slip a little before gripping, but have not test them yet. We are currently using ïn house modded" ACT clutches and have been hold good so far. The only upset is the pedal gets HARD for daily use.

We have lots of 350z's in the 500's and our top contender rigth now is a totally daily driven 690hp @18psi. We stoped @ 18psi because of injectors and not to fall into the headlift issue, but this car should be good into the 750hp.
I wonder who you tuned @ CFT?
Old 08-06-2006, 12:18 PM
fito

Sergio is my brother-in-law, did you see a Orange convertible they built?

By any chance your 350z is blue? with Grex calipers?
Old 08-06-2006, 12:24 PM
BawlZTT

Since we have a lot of knowledgable tranny people in this thread, can anyone tellm e why my tranny locked up in 5th gear while rev matching 2 times, on 2 different tranny's, in a 2 month period?

Basically, I attempted to drop from 5 to 4th and rev matched at the same time. It never left 5th gear and the shifter was in the nuetral position. I took the tranny apart and as soon as I started seperating the bell housing, it came back out of 5th. Then I started shifting again while still apart to try and replicate it, and it did get stuck again. Could it be possible that 5th gear is just too close to the bell housing and when I broke the seal and started lifting it up, it just loosened? One of my mechanic buddy's thought it could be a roller or something of the sort.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:27 PM
fito

Originally Posted by BawlZTT
Since we have a lot of knowledgable tranny people in this thread, can anyone tellm e why my tranny locked up in 5th gear while rev matching 2 times, on 2 different tranny's, in a 2 month period?

Basically, I attempted to drop from 5 to 4th and rev matched at the same time. It never left 5th gear and the shifter was in the nuetral position. I took the tranny apart and as soon as I started seperating the bell housing, it came back out of 5th. Then I started shifting again while still apart to try and replicate it, and it did get stuck again. Could it be possible that 5th gear is just too close to the bell housing and when I broke the seal and started lifting it up, it just loosened? One of my mechanic buddy's thought it could be a roller or something of the sort.

hahahahahah! that happend to car once at the track, I tried to shift into 5 but the tranny got stock into 4. We kept trying and trying until it let loose after like 2 hours. Dont know why do!
Old 08-06-2006, 12:30 PM
BawlZTT

hahahahahah! that happend to car once at the track, I tried to shift into 5 but the tranny got stock into 4. We kept trying and trying until it let loose after like 2 hours. Dont know why do!
Glad to see I am not the only one, did you replace your tranny completely, or were you ever able to fix it. I just want ot be prepared if it happens again. I don't mind the cost, but replacing the tranny is a PITA!
Old 08-06-2006, 12:34 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Sergio is my brother-in-law, did you see a Orange convertible they built?

By any chance your 350z is blue? with Grex calipers?
nope, and the only person i knew of with the grex kit around here wrecked his car. Are they locals or from down south
Old 08-06-2006, 12:38 PM
fito

Originally Posted by ZU L8R
nope, and the only person i knew of with the grex kit around here wrecked his car. Are they locals or from down south

Oh no, Idon't even ask name or info.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:55 PM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info Fito!!

Thanks
Old 08-07-2006, 06:41 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by ZU L8R
Did that guy with the blinged out HKS SC'd roadster wreck it or something?
Old 08-07-2006, 08:44 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Originally Posted by taurran
Did that guy with the blinged out HKS SC'd roadster wreck it or something?
I'm sorry I forgot Jorge had the Grex kit too. That's whose car you tuned. No, his car is fine it was in the Tien booth @ HIN. Rich wrecked his TT couple awhile ago.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:59 AM
nissansource

Man i thought the trans was pretty damn good like the VG trans. I seriously hope this isnt gonna be as big of an issue as my FWD 500hp SR20s ripping 3rd apart
Old 08-07-2006, 09:13 AM
USED

I didn't read the whole thread, but I have a 12k mile trans for sale if your interested. PM and we can come up with a price.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:06 PM
BamBam

Alright, I am interested in getting an idea of the power levels you guys have been at when you are shearing these tranny's. My engine build is completing now, and we intend to see ho far we can push it.

Todd, I know your boost is going to be set high, same with you Jeremy. What problems have you guys had on the West coast? Is anyone running 20PSI or more? BriGuy, Marin.. any thoughts on possible limits on the tranny under ‘normal’ road conditions?

Fito, have you guys had this problem with the tranny multiple times on the same car, or it happens and your weld fixes the problem for good? I have spoken to Sam before about his transmission and at the time thought I could go without for a while… It is sounding like this might be something I should rethink if I really want to push the envelope.
--B

OH, Todd, that is some INSANE amounts of tq man.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:29 PM
fito

Originally Posted by BamBam
Alright, I am interested in getting an idea of the power levels you guys have been at when you are shearing these tranny's. My engine build is completing now, and we intend to see ho far we can push it.

Todd, I know your boost is going to be set high, same with you Jeremy. What problems have you guys had on the West coast? Is anyone running 20PSI or more? BriGuy, Marin.. any thoughts on possible limits on the tranny under ‘normal’ road conditions?

Fito, have you guys had this problem with the tranny multiple times on the same car, or it happens and your weld fixes the problem for good? I have spoken to Sam before about his transmission and at the time thought I could go without for a while… It is sounding like this might be something I should rethink if I really want to push the envelope.
--B

OH, Todd, that is some INSANE amounts of tq man.
The ones that we have rewelded are ok up to date. On another hand we have had cars in the 600hp+ that have not presented any problems. I think it's the abuse that the onwner put on it. (my car was one of the cars with the problem )
Old 08-07-2006, 12:38 PM
BamBam

The ones that we have rewelded are ok up to date. On another hand we have had cars in the 600hp+ that have not presented any problems. I think it's the abuse that the onwner put on it. (my car was one of the cars with the problem )
Thanks for the information. I will do the "wait and see" on my tranny. I don't think I drive mine particularly hard (except at the track) and can't really afford a new one at this time.
Thanks again for sharing with those of us up north.
--B
Old 08-07-2006, 05:18 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Ok, not that I am doubting you, I just need some more info please...

I have talked to several poeple today..here was the consensus:

"3rd gear is not welded to anything...what is he talking about???"

"tranny gears are hardened, near impossible to weld...you need extremely specialized equipment to do that"

"even if you could weld it, WHERE would you weld it???"

so please, could you further explain the process, I really do hope that you are correct, as I'd like to have peace of mind that 3rd gear, after being welded, will resolve this issue, at least for awhile

do you have any pics? I looked at a pic of 3rd gear, where is welded again? I saw a gear and a synchro..please do explain..thanks!!!

-TODD

Quick Reply: Well, I found out how much power the tranny can handle...