Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Warning: JBZ Race Cars & Customs

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 10:33 AM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Warning: JBZ Race Cars & Customs

Well I took my 2005 G35 coupe to JBZ to have a 6-point roll cage with swing out bars installed. I wanted the cage for my own safety and so I could at least make a couple passes at the track.

Well the first time I took the car and talked to them, they were very nice and seemed eager to do it. The guy lives next door to the shop and welcomed me to come by anytime I felt like it. I stopped by one time to see how things where going while they had the interior stripped out and everything looked like it was going well. Couple days later they call and say the cage is done and that I can come pick it up, sooner the better b/c they have other cars to get in the shop (its small). So I bring my trailer to pick it up and the first thing I notice is that the leather on the seats has white streaks all over it, residue from DUCT tape is everywhere. The paint in the door sills has multiple deep scratches and is hazed very badly where it looks like they tried to use something to get the tape residue off.

Now I look inside the car and the next thing I notice is that there are no seatbelts. I said from the beginning I wanted to keep them since I will be driving the car on the street more then anything else. Well they couldn’t fit them back in since they made the bars to close to the trim.

Third they broke most of the clips off the interior trim getting it out, so of course nothing would fit back right. Also the edges were all mangled where they used a bare screwdriver to pry everything off. The leather on the rear panels has tears in it and they couldn’t get the rear shelf to mount back right so it’s loose. The tan trim pieces that the seatbelts feed through and that go around the small windows in the back were totally mangled.

I also had them cut away my core support b/c at the time I wanted to do a v-mount setup with a chromoly tube frame made for the front end but have since scrapped the idea do to JBZ's carelessness. I specifically told them to call me before they made any modifications to my TopSecret wide body front bumper in the mounting process and design of the front end.
Well they decided to go off on there own and drill holes in the wrong places to mount the thing, and have ruined my bumper. A bumper that is not exactly replaceable.

I was very frustrated when I saw all this and outraged at the notion they my car was in 100% better shape before I brought it to them then it was now.
In my own stupidity I paid them because they said I could bring it back when they get more chromoly in and they would redue the cage so I could get the seatbelts back in.

Ok so a month later I bring the car back to them after paying them in full for the first cage(right over $2000) they say they’ll redue it for the same price like it was my fault or something that it didn’t turn out right the first time. I didn’t know what else to do at this point and didn’t know where else to take it so I let them have the car again. I try to explain to them how I want the hoop done so they seatbelts will work, I will still have protection and the seats will still be able to move back far enough for me. They just keep saying over and over they will get it taken care of. I also dropped off some new interior pieces to replace some old ones that they messed up. They take them and don’t even say anything, like it’s my job to replace what they damage.

I come back 2 days later to see the car and pick it up. Well, first off they damaged the paint and seats even more, left metal shavings everyone on the paint and in the car, and have ruined the headliner and visors and moon roof trim. They didn’t do the bar how I asked so now the seats will not move back far enough or even bolt back into place. They ripped the leather on the steering wheel and ruined the plastic on the doors and bottom of the dash. The passenger side swing out bar does not line up and you have to hammer the pin back in. They put none of the seat belts back in right or even in the right places (Mind you I have them the service manual for the interior so they would know how everything went back into place). They messed the plastic trim up ever worse in the back and managed to scrap up the brand new plastic pieces I had brought for them to put in that went around the windows in the rear.

So I need to now replace

-steering wheel
-misc dash trim pieces
-door trim pieces
-leather on seats
-have roof and door sill repainted
-have metal shavings vacuumed out of floor pan
-replace all trim from b-pillar to truck area
-replace all trim pieces associated with rear shelf area
-replace roof liner and visors
-repair all stripped bolts from when they removed core support
-repair TS wide body front bumper
-factory wheels if I was going to use them b/c they messed those up at the shop too
-factory rear bumper if I was going to use it, they messed that up too
-leather armrest on center console

It basically comes down to new everything but glass and frame.

Thank you JBZ for waiting my money and time. In fact you cost me more money then the original cage cost to fabricate and install in the first place.
After I got the car home and saw the rest of the damage I had had enough. Stopped payment on the check and will be seeking repayment for excess damage done to my vehicle.

Last edited by meatbag; 08-20-2006 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:41 AM
plumpzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why dont you sue them...that looks like they did some pretty extensive damage.
Putting in a rollcage is hard to do, espeically in a tight space.. You really need to make sure these people need to know what they're doing..

Hope that shop has insurance, cause you're obviously going to win
Old 08-18-2006, 10:43 AM
meatbag

They were supposed to be good and have a good reputation in the drag racing world as far as i know. I even asked them before hand if they would do it and keep the interior nice b/c it was a show car too and they were eager to do it.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:48 AM
G352NV

I kind of think some of knew this was coming. I dont know why you gave them a chance to fix things.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:55 AM
CEO350Z
That's bad juju

time to lawyer up man

top secret kits are hard to come by...
Old 08-18-2006, 10:56 AM
meatbag

Yes im really kicking myself over it now. I just wanted people to know what kind of work they do.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:58 AM
meatbag

Originally Posted by CEO350Z
time to lawyer up man

top secret kits are hard to come by...
The bumper can be fixed with fiberglass work, but its the point of me asking them not to do anything to it before talking to me b/c of how hard it is to get and to replace.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:16 AM
roncfpz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel for ya. This is the frustrating part of modding a car. I get very anxious anytime I use a new shop (even with a good reputation) cause you never know. For those thinking about walking down this minefield, it's always a good idea to stop in unannounced and take poloroid shots of the car before, during and after.

Meatbag, you should consider filing a small claim for the damages if fairly excessive and it looks like it from that list.
Good luck
Old 08-18-2006, 11:17 AM
TENGAI

f'k the lawers, that's an a$$whippin' ticket
Old 08-18-2006, 12:11 PM
BoOsTedz33TT

Hate to be a ****, but if your putting in a cage, and a proper one to race in, your cars a drag car, whenever you take apart the full interior, no one really ever gets it right. I would have supervised each step, and made them aware theat i am a **** **** when it comes to my car, because ill do a CHARGEBACK on my credit card if they MESS up anything...

Simple to get your first payment to them back, call your bank company and tell them you have been a victim of fraud or something, they will have to dispute it,and thats a pain in the ****, so theyll probaly fix everything if you take there money away......

oh sanp you canceled the check......lol

Last edited by BoOsTedz33TT; 08-18-2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:37 PM
meatbag

I understand that there was going to be somethings not absolutely perfect. I know things would have to be cut for the bars, etc.. and I would have been fine with some minor scratches. But I believe the damage is very excessive and was a result of just not doing a good job and carelessness.

At this point im not sure if i should have canceled the check or not, but i felt backed into a corner with a huge repair bill for the damage caused and knowing their attitude I have a feeling i wasnt going to get anything back.

Last edited by meatbag; 08-18-2006 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

aww man. sorry to hear about the fukk up JBZ did on your ride

do you have any of the previous agreement in writing (ie. will retain seatbelts, will minimize damage to leather, etc?)

hmm.. if they're really hesitant on repairing what they messed up, legal action is timely but usually the threat of legal action might make them fess up.

i hate it when a shop won't stand by their workmanship.

best of luck man,

--cheston
Old 08-18-2006, 12:52 PM
meatbag

No nothing in writing which i know is going to hurt me in the long run.
They just gave me blank looks when i told them about the damages to the interior and how much some of the pieces were. They offered to bring the cost of the redue down to just what it costs in labor, but thats not going to cover anything.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:58 PM
G352NV

Take Lots Of Pics Now!
Old 08-18-2006, 01:04 PM
Zilvia

i smelll a lawsuit
Old 08-18-2006, 03:34 PM
meatbag

I just got back from taking pictures.

I guess they saw one of the posts i made on another forum b/c JBZ called me and wants to work it out. So im going up there with all my pictures and stuff monday to see what they say. Maybe they will redeem themselves.

The cage they built is really nice, its just tearing up the car is not acceptable.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:37 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

can someone tell me what I missed?
Old 08-19-2006, 08:29 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Pm sent, Meat...best of luck bro.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:47 AM
draxxus07

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
can someone tell me what I missed?
ha yea i just read the first post and was like

but from the others ill take it they messed up his ride pretty bad if hes talkin about lawsuits
Old 08-19-2006, 03:13 PM
BoOsTedz33TT

1st step www.bbb.org.com
2nd step, call your bank and get your money back for the first install, even if you gotta say it still isnt done, get them in a chargeback issue....THEY WILL TAKE THERE FUNDS AND PUT THEM ON A HOLD...they dont want that, an that gives you some leverage to play with.

If there funds are held, they are -XXXX whatever you paid, in a long dispute, time to get pro-active

Quick Reply: Warning: JBZ Race Cars & Customs