Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Baby at 13 PSI

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 12:41 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mrtomcat
Right now it has non-synthetic oil after that I was going to go back to Amsoil but Sam is recommending Redline, so I might go that route
amsoil > redline IMHO
Old 09-22-2006, 01:41 PM
mrtomcat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman
amsoil > redline IMHO
that was my understanding as well however I did have the problem that after around 2000 miles I would start loosing oil pressure and needed to tip off.
I always contributed that to the oil getting too hot and me needing an oil cooler.
Sam whitout me ever telling him that mentioned that there was a market test done that showed that amsoil starts to detiriorate (sp?) after about 2000 miles and redline stayed strong.

food for thought I guess
Old 09-22-2006, 01:46 PM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He is correct.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:29 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that was my understanding as well however I did have the problem that after around 2000 miles I would start loosing oil pressure and needed to tip off.
I always contributed that to the oil getting too hot and me needing an oil cooler.
Sam whitout me ever telling him that mentioned that there was a market test done that showed that amsoil starts to detiriorate (sp?) after about 2000 miles and redline stayed strong.

food for thought I guess

I respectfully disagree. Everytime I do an oil change (around 5000 miles) I send a sample into Blackstone labs. They send me reports on how my engine is wearing and how the oil holds up. I currently use AMSOil 5w-30 and have changed my oil twice since the turbo install and each report came back with normal wear on my motor (same as when I was N/A) and the oil was still in very good shape @ 5000 miles.

Any "report" you've heard of AMSOil breaking down before other synthetics is hogwash. AMSOil has consistantly tested to be one of the best synthetics you can buy. And my experience does nothing but support that.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:30 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by XBS
He is correct.

Again...how does your friend "test" oil?
Old 09-22-2006, 02:32 PM
rookie

Pretty sure he's talking about gurgens testing of various synthetics using blackstone labs as well.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:49 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Exclamation

food for thought I guess
Hey Thomas

I'm in town, tomorrow night, Sam, Gurgen and I (and a bunch of my friends) are planning on meeting up in Long Beach at a friend's house for the UFC fight..you are welcome to meet up if you can!

Let me know, my cell is 505-480-1923...

BTW, I went by GTM today and went through a tour of the shop, very impressive! I ttok a bunch of pics, I'll post a tour soon to show off GT Motorsport's setup

-TODD
Old 09-22-2006, 05:41 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
I respectfully disagree. Everytime I do an oil change (around 5000 miles) I send a sample into Blackstone labs. They send me reports on how my engine is wearing and how the oil holds up. I currently use AMSOil 5w-30 and have changed my oil twice since the turbo install and each report came back with normal wear on my motor (same as when I was N/A) and the oil was still in very good shape @ 5000 miles.

Any "report" you've heard of AMSOil breaking down before other synthetics is hogwash. AMSOil has consistantly tested to be one of the best synthetics you can buy. And my experience does nothing but support that.
Do you have an oil cooler and how are you weather conditions?
I heard that once you get the oil cooler the oil lasts longer which I'm hoping for. For my first change once I go back to synthetic I'm still going to use Amsoil because I still have a batch. If I continue to get low on oil around 2000 I'll switch otherwise I'll stick with it - since I have an oil cooler now.

Oil change at 5000miles? You are a brave man, I'm impresed
Old 09-22-2006, 05:43 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
Hey Thomas

I'm in town, tomorrow night, Sam, Gurgen and I (and a bunch of my friends) are planning on meeting up in Long Beach at a friend's house for the UFC fight..you are welcome to meet up if you can!

BTW, I went by GTM today and went through a tour of the shop, very impressive! I ttok a bunch of pics, I'll post a tour soon to show off GT Motorsport's setup

-TODD
Damn it I forgot to call you today, I was in budget meetings all day long.

I will be at Cali Speedway in Fontana all day tomorrow if I have some energy left I'd be happy to join you guys thanks

Sam promised to show up at the track tomorrow, maybe if you have time you can join us as well
Old 09-22-2006, 06:29 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Do you have an oil cooler and how are you weather conditions?
I heard that once you get the oil cooler the oil lasts longer which I'm hoping for. For my first change once I go back to synthetic I'm still going to use Amsoil because I still have a batch. If I continue to get low on oil around 2000 I'll switch otherwise I'll stick with it - since I have an oil cooler now.

Oil change at 5000miles? You are a brave man, I'm impresed

No oil cooler...and the last run was over the summer where it was above 90F for weeks at a time...

My oil level gets lower too...but I think it's because the oil sneaks through the seals on the turbos on decel...since I smell a little oil coming to a stop sometimes. It doesn't do it enough to smoke..but I can smell it.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:37 PM
mrtomcat

Interesting.
I had quite a bit of oil in the pipes when they took it apart. One of the reasons I got an oIl catch can now
it'll be interesting to see how it'll go now
Old 09-22-2006, 07:40 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Interesting.
I had quite a bit of oil in the pipes when they took it apart. One of the reasons I got an oIl catch can now
it'll be interesting to see how it'll go now

Yea...it blows through the PCV system pretty bad with boost if you don't have a catch can. Forgot about that. That doesn't have anything to do with the oil that you run.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:09 PM
XBS
Veteran

It was Gurgen doing the test, this week were testing the redline in my engine after 2000 miles to see how it held up, what series AMSoil were you running? Ill find out which specific one he tested, the amsoil 5-30 sheared to a 21wt which isnt very good, ill see what documentation he has on it.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:39 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
Hey Thomas

-TODD
Todd,

Sorry forgot to call you today...had a dinner lined up with a friend after work, just got home.... let's definitely meet tomorrow.

The "respectfully disagree" part is in the least insincere when you call it "hogwash"., and obviously George (XBS) didn't just hear it, he saw this report...whcih i had posted here a long time ago.

Let me just say the following: At the least, you are wrong about Amsoil 5w30 if you are talking about the ASL variety (which is probably the case)..there is another Amsoil variety that might be better.... And at most...well..you are just plain wrong.

Here are the test results, which were not only tested by Blackstone but professionally read by Terry Dyson of Dyson analysis... and he agreed not to use it in this car..the temperature of the turbos seemed to be the culprit of the sheer. N/A car and this oil may be fine... here is the result:

Viscosity of 53.6 is equivalent to approximately 20wt...
Old 09-22-2006, 11:40 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

BTW... this is only after 2000 miles...it would probably have sheared further down if it were longer
Old 09-22-2006, 11:43 PM
XBS
Veteran

BAM! Thats what I meant
Old 09-23-2006, 05:54 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by GurgenPB
Todd,

Sorry forgot to call you today...had a dinner lined up with a friend after work, just got home.... let's definitely meet tomorrow.

The "respectfully disagree" part is in the least insincere when you call it "hogwash"., and obviously George (XBS) didn't just hear it, he saw this report...whcih i had posted here a long time ago.

Let me just say the following: At the least, you are wrong about Amsoil 5w30 if you are talking about the ASL variety (which is probably the case)..there is another Amsoil variety that might be better.... And at most...well..you are just plain wrong.

Here are the test results, which were not only tested by Blackstone but professionally read by Terry Dyson of Dyson analysis... and he agreed not to use it in this car..the temperature of the turbos seemed to be the culprit of the sheer. N/A car and this oil may be fine... here is the result:

Viscosity of 53.6 is equivalent to approximately 20wt...

I have two reports sitting at home that both have 5000+ miles on standard AMSOil 5w-30 (red cap). Neither of them show the tested viscosity anwhere out of the normal range. I'll post them up later when I'm off work today.

ONE report on ONE motor proves absolutely nothing.

Furthermore, I believe you are running a Greddy kit (correct me if I am wrong) and the Greddy kit doesn't have watercooled turbos, so that "might" (not saying that it is) be why you experienced this breakdown of the oil. Although I would expect that to carry over to most other oils too.

Telling me I'm flat out wrong based on ONE oil analysis that you have is pretty presumptuous.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:04 AM
XBS
Veteran

Hey has a PE TT kit with the IHI turbos with the water cooling hooked up, Its a big diffrence from his test showing the oil shearing at 2,000 mi vs. yours not shearing after 5,000 miles. You said you used the red cap amsoil? which series is it ASL? series 2000? Dont know which one the red cap is. Im just intrested to see why your tests are so diffrent.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:38 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by XBS
Hey has a PE TT kit with the IHI turbos with the water cooling hooked up, Its a big diffrence from his test showing the oil shearing at 2,000 mi vs. yours not shearing after 5,000 miles. You said you used the red cap amsoil? which series is it ASL? series 2000? Dont know which one the red cap is. Im just intrested to see why your tests are so diffrent.

It's ASL 5w-30 as far as I know. It's not series 2000.

I'll post both of my wear reports up later today...
Old 09-23-2006, 09:43 AM
XBS
Veteran

Intresting we also tested the amsoil ASL5w-30.... wonder why such diffrent results... such thing as a bad batch of oil? lol

Quick Reply: My Baby at 13 PSI