Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Baby at 13 PSI

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 10:40 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XBS
Intresting we also tested the amsoil ASL5w-30.... wonder why such diffrent results... such thing as a bad batch of oil? lol

I don't know...maybe. This is the first I've EVER heard of someone having a bad experience with AMSOil.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:57 AM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

BriGuy...

Yes like george said i am running PE turbos with water cooling.

I'd like to see the reports as well.... I did by the way run the car VERY hard while on Amsoil... if that's not the case with you, then it must be that the harder you run it the more the breakdown.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:12 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by XBS
Intresting we also tested the amsoil ASL5w-30.... wonder why such diffrent results... such thing as a bad batch of oil? lol

Here are my two reports...I was wrong...only around 4000 mile on each, but still double what Gurgen exposed the oil to.

Viscoscity totally normal and actually above average for the abuse it was exposed to. I ONLY drive my car HARD.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:50 PM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm intresting, I think we might have been running 2 diffrent types of amsoil. Can you double check you were running ASL amsoil?
Old 09-23-2006, 02:05 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by XBS
Hmmm intresting, I think we might have been running 2 diffrent types of amsoil. Can you double check you were running ASL amsoil?
That's what I'm running....standard 'ol AMSOil 5w-30 that you can buy at many auto parts stores.

From reading this product list on AMSOil's website:
http://www.amsoil.com/products/motoroils/index.aspx

The only 5w-30 gasoline motor oils they sell are the ASL and the XLF and I know I don't have the XLF. I think they changed the packaging recently for the ASL 5w-30 because it looks slightly different.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:28 PM
XBS
Veteran

Im pretty sure we tested the XLF thats what they sell at autobacs and it looks familiar, this could be intresting..... Ill keep you guys posted.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:42 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by XBS
Im pretty sure we tested the XLF thats what they sell at autobacs and it looks familiar, this could be intresting..... Ill keep you guys posted.

The XLF should preform even BETTER than the ASL. I thought this whole time you knew that you tested the ASL???
Old 09-23-2006, 04:01 PM
XBS
Veteran

now that i look at the pictures with the link you provided i believe it was the XLF, im going to double check with Gurgen later. I know it should be better, but it wasnt....
Old 09-23-2006, 09:57 PM
mrtomcat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that MoodDude had the same 2000 mile break down problems with amsoil that I had and his disapeared after adding the oil cooler which is my hope as well.

I am btw using the following:
AMSOIL 10W-40 100% synthetic
High Performance
Exceeds API Service SL CI-4 Specs
Old 09-23-2006, 10:11 PM
mrtomcat

btw Went to Cali Dragway today and I swear this new track is worst track I have ever been to. They moved it next to what is basically a gigantic sand box. Just around our first run a huge sanstorm broke out carrying away our easy up and almost pushing me off the track. I had to get out. The track was covered in sand.
Next run I was basically slipping like crazy, I usually launch at 5500 rpm on et Streets after a good burnout, this time I went at 4500 and was slipping like crazy. After watching almost every car on slicks almost loose it and some do loose it (never seen so many cars loose control) I decided I was done running. Later in the afternoon the wind was not as bad and I saw some other fast cars starting to hook up better so I ran again. I launched a bit better but then had to get out again I was almost going sideways.
so my best run of today was a whoopin 12.6 which is one of the worst runs ever, I did 12.1's with 150 whp less on the old track.
The car felt great though in regards to power. I think I am going to get some wide ET Street Radials and forget about the ET Streets. I hate that wobble feeling.

On my way home my car died on the freeway, I was able to roll off to an exit
I thought I ran out of gas (remember my fuel gauge is not yet working correctly) I called AAA who brought some gas, car would start but would not go higher than 500 rpm and made a weird sound. So I called a tow truck and had it towed home. Called Sam and he gave me a few things to check out but I am too tired tonight I'll do it tomorrow. No leaks or anything and it does not sound like a mechanical problem but a bad ending to bad day....

So in case there are some videos showing up of me running 13.4 today now you know why

Keep your fingers crossed that it's just a minor problem

PS. Just want to mention how much better I feel that I was able to reach Sam at 10 pm on a saturday and he immediately offered to help instead of pushing me off....that's customer service!
Old 09-23-2006, 10:36 PM
rookie

Man was it windy out there today. Everytime I passed by your Z today no one was around. Hope the engine stuff is minor.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:14 AM
caucasiancoupe

Originally Posted by rookie
Man was it windy out there today. Everytime I passed by your Z today no one was around. Hope the engine stuff is minor.
It was really tough conditions! no cars ran good times. The sand and dust on the track and the 50 mph side winds and the 100 degree weather. made it dam hard to run good times. Only cars we saw run respectable times were the evo's and sti's. the traction advantage they had was amplified yesterday.

Here is a vid of the lambo that ran. Don't see this often. The second video shows you how bad it was yesterday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxze-6Cqk38
Old 09-24-2006, 12:30 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mrtomcat
btw Went to Cali Dragway today and I swear this new track is worst track I have ever been to. They moved it next to what is basically a gigantic sand box. Just around our first run a huge sanstorm broke out carrying away our easy up and almost pushing me off the track. I had to get out. The track was covered in sand.
Next run I was basically slipping like crazy, I usually launch at 5500 rpm on et Streets after a good burnout, this time I went at 4500 and was slipping like crazy. After watching almost every car on slicks almost loose it and some do loose it (never seen so many cars loose control) I decided I was done running. Later in the afternoon the wind was not as bad and I saw some other fast cars starting to hook up better so I ran again. I launched a bit better but then had to get out again I was almost going sideways.
so my best run of today was a whoopin 12.6 which is one of the worst runs ever, I did 12.1's with 150 whp less on the old track.
The car felt great though in regards to power. I think I am going to get some wide ET Street Radials and forget about the ET Streets. I hate that wobble feeling.

On my way home my car died on the freeway, I was able to roll off to an exit
I thought I ran out of gas (remember my fuel gauge is not yet working correctly) I called AAA who brought some gas, car would start but would not go higher than 500 rpm and made a weird sound. So I called a tow truck and had it towed home. Called Sam and he gave me a few things to check out but I am too tired tonight I'll do it tomorrow. No leaks or anything and it does not sound like a mechanical problem but a bad ending to bad day....

So in case there are some videos showing up of me running 13.4 today now you know why

Keep your fingers crossed that it's just a minor problem

PS. Just want to mention how much better I feel that I was able to reach Sam at 10 pm on a saturday and he immediately offered to help instead of pushing me off....that's customer service!

oh my god... Tom that is horrible!! I'm also hoping it's something minor

did you throw any CEL, if you need to use my cipher for any reason give me a call, I'll PM you my phone #

+1 on everything Tom said about sand on the track... yesterday did NOT have good conditions by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:41 PM
mrtomcat

there were no cels thrown so I'm still hoping it's just the lack of gas. I am about to run out and pick up 5 gallons which Sam stated should fix the problem. Thankfully I have one of these big *** VP juggs
Old 09-24-2006, 12:48 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by 98MODMTR
What was your MPH?

Albeit a tad high due to wheel slip; but should give you a good idea of ET if you made a full pass without letting out.
MPH was pathetic but it was because I hardly even went WOT. The power is there no doubt.
I think another reason is that the 26x10.5x15 tires are not wide enough.
I looked at some of the videos they took yesterday and I was going sideways a lot.
I'm hoping getting some 295 dr's will do the trick. I really do not like the ice skating feeling the slicks make

Bottomline the car feels like a completely new car and I'm planing on doing quite a bit of practise on the 1/8 in Irwindale first before going back to 1/4

I'm very curious to see how Alberto is going to do once he goes bac to the track since I think he has the same et streets as well.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:36 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

10.5" is more than enough if you properly heat them up. Cars with double our power hook up on that. With that said, I have 16 X 11.5" (26" diamater) the guy I bought them off ran that so I do to, works for me. Its anight and day difference when yuo really heat em up though. One more reason I need line locks, these half a$$ burnouts I used to do to get by just wont cut it anymore. Keep us updated on your car-Im sorry to hear your having issues with it.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:59 PM
mrtomcat

I noticed when watching the videos that my burnouts were not long enough, maybe nervousness because I usually do it well.
But the fact that I really didn't see any cars on slicks do well and there were barely any 12 second runs even by the big muscle cars makes me feel that it was just simply a bad track yesterday
Old 09-24-2006, 03:18 PM
mrtomcat

well bad news, I put the 5 gallons of gas in as instructed by Sam but no dice. The engine won't turn over.
Just left a message for Sam.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-24-2006, 04:42 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Can you hear the fuel pump whine when the key is on the "ON" position?

Quick Reply: My Baby at 13 PSI