Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Replacement APS ST turbo options...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 11:56 AM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Not sure...but even if it does I'm sure there's a Turbonetics unit that is cheaper and better all around than the cr@p that garrett makes.
And people say I instigate stuff? I'm sure there is something comparable. If he wants a GT40 then he can get a GT40. I was just trying to give him options. I guess thats not allowed on the board even though his thread title suggests thats what he's looking for.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:04 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
And people say I instigate stuff? I'm sure there is something comparable. If he wants a GT40 then he can get a GT40. I was just trying to give him options. I guess thats not allowed on the board even though his thread title suggests thats what he's looking for.

Trying to give him options?? A more expensive option that arguably isn't as good a turbo and just happens to be made by Turbonetics. Nice "options". Sounds more like a sales pitch to me.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:58 PM
tig488

Originally Posted by Blake350z
Would a Garret GT40R fit in the place of the current turbo setup?
its possible but why? the 35R is plenty capable of providing any power requirements you might need. they are capable of running 35+psi, unless youre motor is built, you dont need a 40r.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:01 PM
Blake350z

Im looking to build my motor and hit 500-550whp. So far i havent seen it under the stock turbo so thats why im asking if i need to upgrade.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:22 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Trying to give him options?? A more expensive option that arguably isn't as good a turbo and just happens to be made by Turbonetics. Nice "options". Sounds more like a sales pitch to me.
I was under the assumption he needed a new compressor housing and CHRA. The price difference would have been at most $200 if that was the case and he would have had a MUCH better warranty. How is that not a valid option?
Old 09-26-2006, 03:54 PM
baptist

Dont people ever get bored of this constant APS/Turbonetics *****ing that goes on??? It just never ceases to amaze me how much time and effort people devote to all the snide brand vs. brand comments in these threads.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:33 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by baptist
Dont people ever get bored of this constant APS/Turbonetics *****ing that goes on??? It just never ceases to amaze me how much time and effort people devote to all the snide brand vs. brand comments in these threads.

Who even mentioned "APS" in this thread???? This is not an APS vs. Turbonetics thread. This issue has absolutely nothing to do with APS or TN.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:54 PM
Nealoc187

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
That depends on who is making the compressor wheel. Keep in mind that a wheel trim design and the material the wheel is made of are two differnt things. You can make a 62-1 compressor wheel trim from the same material as you make a GT35R wheel and I assure you the weight is negligible. I know those plots are assuming linear regression which why I said it was a "rough" estimate. An accurate estimate is not possible unless he can provide a boost graph that logs boost at each load point. As for 62-1 turbo price here is an excerpt from the August 2006 Turbonetics Price sheet

Tig,
Yes you can get the 62-1 with any turbine you want (T3) with a 5 bolt discharge flange and internal wastegate.
Indeed you are right that wheel weight and wheel design are two different things - and it's accepted in the industry that the wheel designs of the GT series wheels are more aerodynamic, on both sides of the cartridge, than the T series are. This further lends itself to my contention that the 3582R will have superior spoolup characteristics.

Even if the weight is negligable - and you've provided no evidence that it is at this point - I am going to stick with my original argument that it is not which at least has anecdotal evidence.

I really don't understand your argument at this point. You posted a plot which is a rough estimate, which I CANNOT fault you for because I did the same thing using a diffferent rough estimate, so I won't fault you for that, but what is your point? If at redline they have identical efficiencies like you said, EVERYWHERE else in your estimate the GT35R is in a superior state of compression efficiency... why would he change to a compressor which even in your own plots clearly shows that it does not compress air as efficiently as the cheaper alternative. Why change from something that is more efficient in 95% of the plot, of the same efficiency in 5% of the plot, and cheaper - to a more expensive and less efficient piece of equipment? That makes no sense. The only reason I can see to do that would be if someone were insanely brand loyal to turbonetics, which is retarded in and of itself but that's a whole different issue.

baptist - for me this argument has absolutely nothing to do with APS vs Turbonetics. This is about XXX compressor wheel vs YYY compressor wheel. I don't have APS, I don't have turbonetics, I don't even have a 350z. I do however have a strong belief as to which compressor wheel is more appropriate in this situation regardless of price, and the fact that the GT3582R center cartridge is significantly cheaper than replacing the entire turbo with a 62-1 only serves to further solidify my position on the topic.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:11 PM
JoeDirtPharmD

New CHRA arrived today - that snap ring is a *****'

NEW:

OLD:
Old 10-02-2006, 07:33 PM
ht4

Congrats... hurry up and get that beast back on the road!

Any problems fixing the crack in the exhaust housing?
Old 10-03-2006, 12:35 AM
AboostedG
Twin Spoolin

Would love to hear more about the GTK Stage 2 + kit?
Old 10-03-2006, 06:13 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by AFitchTLS
Would love to hear more about the GTK Stage 2 + kit?

Then why don't you do a search or post up a turbonetics related thread instead of trying to further jack this one.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:27 AM
Enron Exec

IIRC I saw a graph on Garretts website, with a bunch of thier compressor maps, showing a GT35R on a 3.5L would be on the high end of falling off the efficiency curve for 550 hp. That would be around 467 rwhp with a 15% drivetrain loss. I also remember Peter telling me the GT35R would be good up to 550 hp a while back. Either way, i think JoeDirt is at the limits where the turbo is happy at. Pushing it any harder wouldnt net much more power. Get a GT40R or GT42R.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:39 AM
JoeDirtPharmD

Originally Posted by Enron Exec
IIRC I saw a graph on Garretts website, with a bunch of thier compressor maps, showing a GT35R on a 3.5L would be on the high end of falling off the efficiency curve for 550 hp. That would be around 467 rwhp with a 15% drivetrain loss. I also remember Peter telling me the GT35R would be good up to 550 hp a while back. Either way, i think JoeDirt is at the limits where the turbo is happy at. Pushing it any harder wouldnt net much more power. Get a GT40R or GT42R.
I really don't think you could get one to fit in the same location - that would be a helluva squeeze! We'll find out with an external wastegate if I can get a little more 'ooomph' from it - Garrett claims a possible 640hp (530rwhp) - I'll see what I can do
Old 10-03-2006, 11:08 AM
tig488

evos run appx 550-ish on the 35r but they are using other adders like meth inj. and its a little 2.0L engine,

have you assembled the turbo yet, im anxious to see if it is in fact an off the shelf cartridge, i was sure it was but you are the guinea pig.

you could always get a larger exh housing, and change the comp wheel to gain a little more ooomph.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:11 PM
JoeDirtPharmD

It is, in fact, an off-the-shelf cartridge

Thanks again for all your help, BTW.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:37 PM
tig488

great, no problem man, good luck getting it all back together quickly.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:14 PM
JoeDirtPharmD

The remainder of the APS parts arrived today - should be road-worthy by Sunday.

Interesting thing to note for the APS guys (keep in mind I've boosted for over 40k mi.):

The hose going from the BC to the wastegate had a large hole in it near the wastegate. It looks as though one of the steel-braided lines may have chaffed through - unclear if this was an install error on my part...

The point where the chaffing occurred, the rubber was rock hard and very fragile - easily broke away. So very likely that my boost was controlled only by the spring itself - wondering if that had other implications in trying to maintain a steady boost?

In any case, if you haev a chance to crawl around down there, take a peek at that part - was about 2 inches about the wastegate.