Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Special $10,000.00 Turbonetics kit?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 01:29 AM
Osix350Z
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Special $10,000.00 Turbonetics kit?!

Why do people want to screw me over??? Here's my story...

4-5 months ago I got recommended to AAM by a "former" friend. He's no longer my friend cause he recommended me to AAM. Anyway, I went seeking a safe yet affordable set-up. First they recommended a Vortech for my 06. (Vortech doesn't make a kit that fits an 06) Next, they recommended a "custom" TN kit, with an ATS twin disc clutch... capable of 800whp, when I'm looking to make 380. An AAM fuel system, AAM line kit, AAM spacer, and tuning from the "head lift master" himself. Even after I told them my budget AND whp goals, they insisted that I spend 10K+ again on a "safe" set-up. Upon choosing a UTEC for my tuning needs, they offered me the tuner reg wideband at the super low rate of $300 per tuning session... when I could have bought it myself for $99 more.

Needless to say, this left a bitter taste in my mouth. The final straw was broken when I went to go pick the kit up from AAM. Some homeless looking guy was wispering and pointing at me from the other side of the counter. In the end, I decided to go with another installer/tuner. One that displayed an infinite amount of honesty compared to the folks at AAM. I feel like I was a step away from getting raped in the a$s like a 6 year old at the Neverland Ranch. I just wanted to share this with the community, in hopes of saving someone else from making a grave mistake. The AAM ship is sinking. I caught a life raft out, for those of you wondering, there's still room.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:50 AM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

yeah some people think you dont know anything about cars and try to gip you
Old 10-08-2006, 04:22 AM
Peking

Originally Posted by Osix350Z
Why do people want to screw me over??? Here's my story...
4-5 months ago I got recommended to AAM by a "former" friend. He's no longer my friend cause he recommended me to AAM. Anyway, I went seeking a safe yet affordable set-up. First they recommended a Vortech for my 06. (Vortech doesn't make a kit that fits an 06) Next, they recommended a "custom" TN kit, with an ATS twin disc clutch... capable of 800whp, when I'm looking to make 380. An AAM fuel system, AAM line kit, AAM spacer, and tuning from the "head lift master" himself. Even after I told them my budget AND whp goals, they insisted that I spend 10K+ again on a "safe" set-up. Upon choosing a UTEC for my tuning needs, they offered me the tuner reg wideband at the super low rate of $300 per tuning session... when I could have bought it myself for $99 more.
Needless to say, this left a bitter taste in my mouth. The final straw was broken when I went to go pick the kit up from AAM. Some homeless looking guy was wispering and pointing at me from the other side of the counter. In the end, I decided to go with another installer/tuner. One that displayed an infinite amount of honesty compared to the folks at AAM. I feel like I was a step away from getting raped in the a$s like a 6 year old at the Neverland Ranch. I just wanted to share this with the community, in hopes of saving someone else from making a grave mistake. The AAM ship is sinking. I caught a life raft out, for those of you wondering, there's still room.
You decided to throw away a friendship over a suggestion? That is a little harsh IMO.

So you didn't get anything installed by them, but you did buy what they talked you into? Or am I just confused by that part of your post?

Why even do that if you did? I would have walked away even sooner. And I wouldn't blame your friend, AAM has had it share of positive experiences in the past (pretty much it seems lately they have been on the down hill slide).
Old 10-08-2006, 04:27 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by Osix350Z
I feel like I was a step away from getting raped in the a$s like a 6 year old at the Neverland Ranch.

My new favorite Quote!!!My old favorite quote was SexyImportGirl's quote of "I just take the whole thing and shove it in my mouth!"
Old 10-08-2006, 04:38 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no offense, but I am sure there is more to this then what you posted. Like the other side!
Old 10-08-2006, 05:23 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had 5 or 6 guys PM me asking why they couldnt get a safe tune from the Vortech kit . They all said AAM told them they ran lean up top and needed thier return fuel system and bigger injectors . AAm kept trying to flash for the whole tune and not use the SS box . They knew they couldnt flash the ECU for more than 6 or 7 psi , but kept doing it and getting the customer to buy more stuff...not honest IPO
Old 10-08-2006, 05:38 AM
GMZ

Very interesting indeed. There has been alot of negative press regarding AAM lately. I wonder what their side of it is.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:42 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GMZ
I wonder what their side of it is.
SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!
Old 10-08-2006, 06:28 AM
blueper4mancez

two of my friend up there for tuning , they charged 600 for an hour of tuning ????????? for whatever ecu that came with the hks supercharger . jeez man people do makes the big bucks now aday just so easily.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:42 AM
Wholey Smokes

Wait, doesn't a locked F-CON come with the HKS kit? I mean locked as in not tuneable.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:43 AM
GMZ

Originally Posted by blueper4mancez
two of my friend up there for tuning , they charged 600 for an hour of tuning ????????? for whatever ecu that came with the hks supercharger . jeez man people do makes the big bucks now aday just so easily.
SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!
Yes this looks like the case!
Old 10-08-2006, 06:47 AM
BobbyRitz

AAM is HKS certified and thus able to tune HKS engine management systems.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:55 AM
bigslim350Z

I recently installed an ATI procharger on my 2004 350z and had AAM do a dyno session and tune the engine and the fuel management unit that came with the kit. (just dyno and tuning resulted in 600 for an ecu reflash and 400 or so for dyno time ) According to ATI nothing else was needed, but the engine is detonating at anything above 6000 rpms. Therefore, AAM told me the same story, I need bigger fuel injectors 440 or 550 cc, a UTEC and also a return line fuel system plus tuning. (600 for injectors, 1000 for the utec and 1000 for the fuel system, and probalby about 500 for tuning. plus installation.) I can understand the need for fuel and timing adjustment. but instead of a utec i saw a greddy emanage ultimate for half the price that seems like it would do the same thing. Are there any other good shops in the area that can work on and tune 350Z's or is AAM the best in the area and also most expensive?
Old 10-08-2006, 07:03 AM
Z PHAT Z

I remembered one time when I gathered all my internal parts and ready to build my block. I gave AAM a called and ask them how much to build my block. They wanted 3k to put everything together. Then I asked to put in my JWT cams( I provided the cams) they wanted $1800 just to put in the cams. I mean...since everything is apart when assembling the block...shouldn't it be cheaper to install cams? I never called back
Old 10-08-2006, 07:03 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

thats pretty dramatic to ditch your friend over a suggestion... regaurdless of what is going on with AAM now.. they didn't build a reputation on sh!tty work.. at one point they were doing good work... so i don't see ditching a friend on AAM's current miscues..
Old 10-08-2006, 08:07 AM
trefling

I had a very similar situation with AAM as well. Now please let me first say that I do have the AAM Y-pipe & 3" single exaust which I really like. About a few years ago I blew my engine and had my car shipped up to AAM. Every time I talked with Mike the price for the job kept getting bigger and bigger. I had already paid like $700 just to ship my car up there but got such a creppy/dishonest feeling from Mike that I turned around and had my car shipped to SGP Racing in Houston which was another $700 or so. Man and I glad I hooked up with SGP Racing! They are not cheap but I have NEVER had a bad gut feeling with Mark at SGP

The most glaring problem that I see with AAM is that if they believe the customer does not know much about cars they seem to try to exploit as much money as possible. But on the other hand they have some very happy customers too.

Last edited by trefling; 10-09-2006 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:29 AM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

I don't know if this counts, but i bought my AAM spacer and return lines tuesday night with 2 day express shipping. Called and left an email asking for a tracking number with no call back or return email on Saturday (yesturday). I'm going to ask for a partial refund of my shipping costs if i don't recieve this unit Monday. Wish i would have seen these comments before i gave them my money.
Bought a UTEC, CJM fuel return, and Greddy catch from Sharif@Forge on that same night. He not only called me to varify my order before noon the next day, he knocked off several hundred dollars and beat every price I found online AND provided me with a tracking number later that day. Now THAT is what i call service. HIGHLY RECOMEND!
Old 10-08-2006, 09:01 AM
Osix350Z
Banned

They are sinking..........When do you guys think Mike is going to "come out"?
Old 10-08-2006, 09:52 AM
tig488

that seems to be the norm with AAM.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:11 PM
k3silk

Its funny cause they do make some really nice parts and i cant take that away from them but as far as the shop i have seen plenty of threads and know personally 3 people not including my self get treated so wrong. The last few weeks i have done alot of thinking about this whole thing with shops and in the end all shops are just out for one thing " To make big money off ya" And is it worth it? some times yeah and sometimes No but i know for sure if you pay alot of money your $hit should be done right.

Quick Reply: Special $10,000.00 Turbonetics kit?!