Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

300zxTT vs 350zTT

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 03:19 PM
zemaestro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 300zx vs 350z

There aren't alot of concrete answers here, but I can clear up a few myths. The 300zx was/is a great car, period. It is however beginning to show it's age. Remember it was released in 1989 thats 17+ years ago..there are probably some forum members that aren't even that old yet. The Z was fast, and with Jim Wolf and Clark Steppler's tuning help, the car was as reliable, more so than any other vehicle I have driven. They were bullet-proof, from the diff to the motor. I beat them to death on a daily basis, with nothing ever breaking other then a clutch. My stock turbo, stock injector car went 12.0 @ 116 along time ago. That was on a crappy 235/60-15 drag radial with 1.80 60ft times. With skinny's on the front and E.T. streets on the back with a set of lightweight wheels, in addition to some dyno tuning, good gas and an AFC, 11.6's were possible. It also weighed 3460 w/o driver, so it was heavy too. Wheel hop was due to low profile tires and too much air pressure,which caused for and aft movement of the subframe. My m3 and m5 have wayyy more wheelhop then any 300zx. My car still had HICAS in place and never wheel-hopped once on the strip, even madly spinning the tires. Hicas wasn't so bad or otherwise the 300zx wouldn't have recorded slalom times sooo close to these new cars. Motortrend said "we don't know what it does, but it works." The cars were fast on top-end too, with speedlimiter removed they were good for 165 bone-stock. That's fast period, today or yesterday.......If you were on a budget and wanted to go fast the 300zx TT is the way to go. The VQ's heads are light-years ahead of the VG. That is the biggest reason you guys are making incredible power at such low boost levels. From what I know the VQ is even dynoing more then cobra 4.6 turbo's at these low-boost levels.....who the first to turn up the boost? 25 p.s.i. with 20g's or 60-1 upgrades????? Don't forget protect you and your loved ones from Tricosalan, teflon, deodorants with aluminum compounds, aspartame, Unorthodox solid crank pulleys, and lightweight flywheels......Your rod bearings need a dampner and your lightweight flywheels don't help your 1/4 times, peace Yo...9's with the A/C on is my goal, that is a true street car
Old 11-14-2006, 07:27 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zemaestro
There aren't alot of concrete answers here, but I can clear up a few myths. The 300zx was/is a great car, period. It is however beginning to show it's age. Remember it was released in 1989 thats 17+ years ago..there are probably some forum members that aren't even that old yet. The Z was fast, and with Jim Wolf and Clark Steppler's tuning help, the car was as reliable, more so than any other vehicle I have driven. They were bullet-proof, from the diff to the motor. I beat them to death on a daily basis, with nothing ever breaking other then a clutch. My stock turbo, stock injector car went 12.0 @ 116 along time ago. That was on a crappy 235/60-15 drag radial with 1.80 60ft times. With skinny's on the front and E.T. streets on the back with a set of lightweight wheels, in addition to some dyno tuning, good gas and an AFC, 11.6's were possible. It also weighed 3460 w/o driver, so it was heavy too. Wheel hop was due to low profile tires and too much air pressure,which caused for and aft movement of the subframe. My m3 and m5 have wayyy more wheelhop then any 300zx. My car still had HICAS in place and never wheel-hopped once on the strip, even madly spinning the tires. Hicas wasn't so bad or otherwise the 300zx wouldn't have recorded slalom times sooo close to these new cars. Motortrend said "we don't know what it does, but it works." The cars were fast on top-end too, with speedlimiter removed they were good for 165 bone-stock. That's fast period, today or yesterday.......If you were on a budget and wanted to go fast the 300zx TT is the way to go. The VQ's heads are light-years ahead of the VG. That is the biggest reason you guys are making incredible power at such low boost levels. From what I know the VQ is even dynoing more then cobra 4.6 turbo's at these low-boost levels.....who the first to turn up the boost? 25 p.s.i. with 20g's or 60-1 upgrades????? Don't forget protect you and your loved ones from Tricosalan, teflon, deodorants with aluminum compounds, aspartame, Unorthodox solid crank pulleys, and lightweight flywheels......Your rod bearings need a dampner and your lightweight flywheels don't help your 1/4 times, peace Yo...9's with the A/C on is my goal, that is a true street car
Nice post, and surprisingly I'm in agreement with everything you said (especially about the UR crank pulleys!)

Which car are you trying to get into the 9s with A/C? You know there are at least two full-interior, A/C, stereo, etc., street Z32s in the 9s (not street tires of course): http://www.z32racing.com/ Look at number 1 and 2. My rig can't stretch the 9s without a lot more devotion to the suspension, however, solid mid-10s at 130+ are in order.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:49 PM
RedBeauty84ZX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zemaestro
Good post . I will agree the main advantage the VQ has is much more superior flowing heads.