Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

**Went to the track-VIDEO-another tranny bites the dust---> Sam@GTM where are you?**

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 04:59 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Im gonna change my motto from "Never lift to Shift" to "dont even race with our POS Nissan tranny's and if you do shift like grandma and hope for the best...."
and just think, a few days ago you were saying that my TH400 wasnt a good idea... hmmm, this is the exact reason i am doing it..
Old 10-22-2006, 05:02 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Ryan- dont have DSS axles(no $$$ right now), I was going to do those when I broke them, I wanted to see how far I could push the stockers, I think people are quick to diss them I want to prove they are decent (handled my 400whp TN launches fine).

Oleg- no,I would never consider putting in an auto racing tranny, even if it dropped my time 1 second. I simply love to bang gears to much, I'll figure out a way to do this with some sort of reliability
my th will be more reliable at 1000hp than a nissan 6MT.. i am going to push the stockers as well, i wanna break them!!! im sure as soon as i get those BIG *** 28x9s to hook, there will be pieces flying everywhere!!
Old 10-22-2006, 05:03 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Jeremy I never said it wasnt a good idea, just not an option for me, as I enjoy "driving" to much
Old 10-22-2006, 05:06 PM
clemlover15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I shead a tear

lets us all know what you plan on doing to beef of the tranny!!
Old 10-22-2006, 05:08 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by clemlover15
lets us all know what you plan on doing to beef of the tranny!!
Keep me away from it, and it may live COUGH:GTMgearset:COUGH
Old 10-22-2006, 05:15 PM
kalima275Z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Brutal....oh so brutal.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:29 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

thats why in the videos i granny shift it, just like at the track the other day, i think trapping 124 granny shifting on the tires i drove there on deserves better than your post saying , not too bad... lol stupid trannys!!!
Old 10-22-2006, 05:54 PM
Nealoc187

That's a bummer man, sorry to hear that. I know how it feels to break gears - get that GTM gearset in there this winter.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:58 PM
BobbyRitz

Damn Bert...

That's unfortunate, man. I absolutely feel your pain.

My next question is...what's the next weak point after a beefed up transmission???

Good Luck!!! I now you'll find the best way to approach this problem.

Rob
Old 10-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Besides axles, Im thinking the diff. I launch pretty conservative though, Im confident the diff can handle a few of my launches.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Oleg

Jeremy I never said it wasnt a good idea, just not an option for me, as I enjoy "driving" to much
Can you find a capable shop that would be able to mate some stronger manual tranny to the VQ?
Old 10-22-2006, 06:11 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Besides axles, Im thinking the diff. I launch pretty conservative though, Im confident the diff can handle a few of my launches.

Sorry to hear about your car. Don't worry about the diff. Nissan diffs are know as the "ford 9-inch" of the import world. I actually haven't heard of anyone breaking a 350z rear end with power.

I wouldn't exactly call the Nissan Trans "crap" either. You threw over double the stock power at it and powershifted on slicks and expected it to just take it? Maybe consider not powershifting anymore.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:13 PM
EM-EFER

I feel sick to my stomach for you...

After spending all that money and being happy.. Kinda brings you down again.

Just FYI..

Tim from Speed Force Racing had mentioned him having someone to strengthen the transmission considerbly. His name on here is TurboTim or you can call him..619-328-4012 (Just to verify)
Old 10-22-2006, 06:14 PM
Sam@GTM
Sponsor
GT Motorsports

Well guys, I went to the dragstrip, good news I drove the car home, bad news no 3rd gear anymore or times Here is what happened.

First and only run I promised myself Id take it easy, as I wasnt sure how the car was going to handle a powershift-until yesterday I hadnt tried on the street due to sever wheelspin/sideways action. So I launch-like total crap, garbage, weaksauce (insert your insult here ) and I decide Im gonna go for it. Hit 2nd, all is well, car stayed straight and felt SICK the car didnt even have slight "lag" and I proceed to 3rd gear. Again all went well with the shift, I didnt go sideways, and about .0002 seconds into 3rd, I get what was the most violent shaking I have ever experienced in an automobile, like a 7.4 on a richter scale. It felt like wheelhop, but from the front of the car The center console where the 3 guages sit, popped out towards me, I had to push the clip back in. At this point Im locked out of every gear. I make my way down the track from only the momentum of 1st and 2nd gear. If you watch the vid, at this point my ATS Triple disc starts acting up, with the car in nuetral the revs stayed at about 2300rpm's. Then I got back into a gear, tried the other gears some were locked out, I get back in 3rd and you can hear what sounds like clutch disks banging around inside my tranny(around 20-23 seconds) and shaking my car.

Let the car cool down for 2 hours or so. Tranny feels like crap when the car is on, hard to get in/out of gears. With time it got better, good enough to drive home. In 3rd though, car starts shaking and the tranny spits the shifter back into nuetral, I think 3rd gears synchro is owned. Well, Im done for the season, I knew something was gonna give-I was worried about my axles. BTW-this was on low boost.

Well Id LOVE to try the new GTM gearset, not to sound cocky but I think if it can handle my abuse it can handle anything. Sam-think it can keep up with me? Id love if when you had the time you PM'd me, I know your busy with the stroker kits/other projects. Thoughts? Questions? Feel free to laugh at me...here is the vid----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc1AsuN_mqg
Hey alberto sorry to hear about your tranny .our gear set are available,we are doing some final testing in our shop car right now. we will have a press release shortly, then we will be ready to go ,I will call you to discuss further more
Old 10-22-2006, 06:25 PM
Sam@GTM
Sponsor
GT Motorsports

here is a little teaser
Attached Thumbnails **Went to the track-VIDEO-another tranny bites the dust---> Sam@GTM where are you?**-mvc-675x.jpg  
Old 10-22-2006, 06:44 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Wow-talk about customer service, Sam @ GTM called me on my cell within an hour of putting this post up. I wont get into great details but I will say this. Tranny will come out of the car ASAP, and be heading over to Cali to see the crew at GTM. With time, everything will be analyzed-as to what went wrong, and I'll be back on the road (wait didnt I just get back on?) better than ever Sam-thanks again for calling me, Im very happy about working with you in the future.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:49 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Wow-talk about customer service, Sam @ GTM called me on my cell within an hour of putting this post up. I wont get into great details but I will say this. Tranny will come out of the car ASAP, and be heading over to Cali to see the crew at GTM. With time, everything will be analyzed-as to what went wrong, and I'll be back on the road (wait didnt I just get back on?) better than ever Sam-thanks again for calling me, Im very happy about working with you in the future.
Congrats, thats great news

Good luck with everything, excited to hear the review.

Later
Aceman
Old 10-22-2006, 07:00 PM
mrtomcat

that's horrible Alberto, that is my other big fear and on the savings plan....

I saw the gears when I was a GTM and they look awesome. I can't think of a better test candidate than you because of your power shifting.

good luck
Old 10-22-2006, 07:01 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Good to hear about the gear set. If they are what GTM says they are ill need a set here pretty soon.

BTW nice helmet Alberto, I have the same one for my bike.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:02 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Here are a few pics from yesterday...

Worst part of it all---->I got beat by this damn Civic

Quick Reply: **Went to the track-VIDEO-another tranny bites the dust---> Sam@GTM where are you?**