Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

**Went to the track-VIDEO-another tranny bites the dust---> Sam@GTM where are you?**

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 07:04 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mrtomcat
that's horrible Alberto, that is my other big fear and on the savings plan....

I saw the gears when I was a GTM and they look awesome. I can't think of a better test candidate than you because of your power shifting.

good luck
Thanks for the words Tom-I'll pray for your transmission, I know you drag alot, and you make similar power. No doubt not powershifting can help longevity but I feel like with double the power this is inevitable, I just killed mine prematurely where as others take longer...

meatbag-I love that Helmet, I decided I wanted afaster car instead of buying a bike so I kept the helmet and put it to use
Old 10-22-2006, 07:45 PM
jackie chan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

junk yards are your friend. is the 6speed in the z in a bunch of nissans? i know the xterra and frontier have them now. if so for a cheap replacement in the now, make some phone calls and ask for the truck version. when i wanted to toss a fresh stocker shortblock in my car, 100k 5.0s were 900. explorer motors were 500 with 40k on them(not to mention they are a gt40 motor, the same as the 93-95 cobra except for valve springs, rockers, and cam)
Old 10-22-2006, 08:31 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

woah i've never seen a video of you drag racing.. your shifts really are kind of rediculous!
Old 10-22-2006, 08:33 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GTM gearset will definately get you back on the road. I tend to agree here...no stock tranny at near 600whp is going to hold up to a no-lift shift without some kind of ECU intervention. I know you can do 10;s, even with lifting.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:01 PM
in2therain3

Hey maybe the launch you did caused tons of stress on the drivetrain+powershifting right after might have lead to the transmission failing? Maybe if you have spun the drag radials, this might not have happened.. Anyways, I always love how you shift that beast so keep it up! Hope everything works out well
Old 10-22-2006, 09:11 PM
Xx SiFaKa

Damn man that sucks! I was really looking forward to you're time slip... Really I've been waiting...
Old 10-22-2006, 09:20 PM
kalima275Z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure he still got a time slip from that run. Just ask.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:35 PM
Zincognito

such frustration.....take your time getting back on the road. good luck man
Old 10-22-2006, 10:47 PM
baptist

Sorry to hear about your problems, Alberto! That GTM gearset looks like it was made for your car.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:03 AM
Gators2001

Pave the way, Bert.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:05 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by in2therain3
Hey maybe the launch you did caused tons of stress on the drivetrain+powershifting right after might have lead to the transmission failing? Maybe if you have spun the drag radials, this might not have happened.. Anyways, I always love how you shift that beast so keep it up! Hope everything works out well
That launch was so weak it barely stressed the drivatrain man.

One thing I didnt mention, Id love to hear from more people with carbon clutches on this:

I have been told with carbon clutches you need to warm them up before racing them hard. Pulling the e-brake, putting the car in gear and revving to say 2500rpm's and slowly putting load on the clutch for example. Few seconds, and rounds of this and your good to go. Essentially "burning" the clutch seems so unnatural to me, and because with the shifting I've done on the street and not having any issues then I didnt warm up the clutch before the run.

Me not doing that may have caused the clutch to get warm on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift, and when it finally reached full boost/load in 3rd the tranny took a huge shock. Now I could be wrong, this may have been a contributing factor to what happened, but the clutch def acted up initially after the run. As you can see in the vid Im in nuetral off the gas and the revs are rising and holding around 2000rpm's as I coast down the track. Any ideas/thoughts on what happened there, and on how to prepare a carbon clutch for hard drag racing??
Old 10-23-2006, 07:09 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
meatbag-I love that Helmet, I decided I wanted afaster car instead of buying a bike so I kept the helmet and put it to use
why not have both
Old 10-23-2006, 07:23 AM
bigbri

Damn bro...see what I told you guys...Can you imagine with more power how fast you'd *** the tranny up?? This sucks bro you just got your car back...Good luck buy a tranny from a junkyard...The GTM gears are the best but I think they cost $3500-$4000+ Good luck bro only granny shift esp. with slicks
Old 10-23-2006, 07:24 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

I dont have enough self control for a bike, and because MD drivers are horrible and I'd likely get taken out by a soccer mom on the cell phone or a young girl doing her makeup on the way to school. I just cant justify it...now keep this post OT
Old 10-23-2006, 07:27 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well bert i really hate to see this thread,your car is now offcially a money pit.hope to see you saturday in the beater.if you need anyhelp with the tranny let me know.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:31 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Keith it was a money pit the second I blew the motor bud...I'll likely see you Saturday, you know Im not missing that b-day party/drunk fest/cookout
Old 10-23-2006, 07:34 AM
doug

I dont have enough self control for a bike, and because MD drivers are horrible and I'd likely get taken out by a soccer mom on the cell phone or a young girl doing her makeup on the way to school. I just cant justify it...now keep this post OT
yeah i know you want it ON TOPIC.. but jsut one last thing..

if you take a motorcycle riding course... and you learn how to ride properly... learn at the proper levels.. ride the right bike for your abilities.. you will have no problem with a motorcycle..

i tell you what... you think taking off down the street in a high hp car is exhilarting? there is no other feeling like riding a motorcycle.. .. wether you are cutting up corners... blasting down the highway.. or curising with your boys at 80 mph... nothing beats riding a bike..

one thing i will tell you though... riding a bike makes you a better driver... you are more aware of your surroundings.. you learn how to be a better defensive driver.. and you learn a whole lot more..

just don't go riding with a bunch of squids (guys who are always stunting with no helmet.. no jacket or gloves) always wear your gear.. saved my life too many times.. i have a cracked helmet from hitting the highway at 85 mph to prove that...
Old 10-23-2006, 07:37 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Doug I hear ya-1 more thing I forgot to mention, dont know how I could have forgotten. Insurance for somebody under 25 in MD on a "sports bike" is ridiculous!! $4000-5000 a year! No BS, its stupid why pay 1/2 cost of a bike every year of insurance. Maybe in 2 years I'll reconsider...
Old 10-23-2006, 07:40 AM
doug

Doug I hear ya-1 more thing I forgot to mention, dont know how I could have forgotten. Insurance for somebody under 25 in MD on a "sports bike" is ridiculous!! $4000-5000 a year! No BS, its stupid why pay 1/2 cost of a bike every year of insurance. Maybe in 2 years I'll reconsider...
check it for liablity only.. first off.. i hope you have a garage.. because if you don't.. forget getting a bike.. second.. get liability only... more than likely when you crash your bike you will fix it yourself.. thats what i did when i tottaled my bike.. i pay $75 / month .. progressive is the only place to insure a bike.. but do it through an independent agent.. they are cheaper.. don't know why.. everybody else will rape you on insurance. Also with liability you can get theft coverage for a little bit more. That way.. if it gets stolen you get the money back.. but if you crash it.. you fix it yourself..

ok i am done with the bike talk
Old 10-23-2006, 07:42 AM
Gators2001

Damn are the gears really 3Gs+?

Quick Reply: **Went to the track-VIDEO-another tranny bites the dust---> Sam@GTM where are you?**