Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

brand new stillen supercharger, need a little advice please...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 07:16 AM
Spartan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brand new stillen supercharger, need a little advice please...

hey i am supercharging my 06 Z with a stage 3 supercharger. i am going to put a LSD in the rear end. and of without a doubt new exsaust. but my question is do i go true duel or not? and what is a good brand? any help would be great.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:33 AM
FrickU

Congratulations...I would personally go with the Stillen true duel.

It flows really good, and sounds good.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:34 AM
chimmike

true dual will be good, but you'll see the most significant gains by going with headers and HFCs or testpipes.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:46 AM
chichi506

isn't the stillen true dual a really heavy exhaust? if i had the cash, i'd go with the HKS twin canister.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:12 AM
TheLastSpartan

you stole my name hah

I would recommend buying the exhaust you like the sound of the best. All of them give basically the same gains and you dont have a turbo to have to worry about. Its a matter of taste really.

However i would recommend getting HFCs/Tps and a new y pipe since those are the most restrictive parts of the exhaust. Your exhaust only flows as well as its weakest part.

I personally have the nismo and i love it (I also had the topspeed Pro-1 for awhile)
Old 11-05-2006, 05:27 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by Spartan
hey i am supercharging my 06 Z with a stage 3 supercharger. i am going to put a LSD in the rear end. and of without a doubt new exsaust. but my question is do i go true duel or not? and what is a good brand? any help would be great.
Congrats on your car and your upcomming Stillen SC. First of all I have probably just as much, if not WAY more experience (going on 4 years) with these Stillen SC as anyone,.. LOL (good and bad)

You will not see any gains with this SC by adding exhaust, and especially HF cats/ test pipes. Unfortunately, you are more than likely going to experience a loss of boost, thus giving you a LOSS of power. These roots type blowers love back pressure. Wait on the exhaust untill you hear the SC on your car with the stock exhaust, you might want to keep it. Every exhaust mod (headers, down pipes, HF cats, etc.) I have performed on a Stillen/Eaton M62 blower not only didn't add any real power, in most cases it lost power.

Now with the LSD, you should like this. Just be carefull on which one you get. Although all of them seemed to have worked great, some people do not like the crackeling ratcheting feel and sound of the Nissmo, Cusco, etc. but the Quaife LSD is very good for those who do not want that broken rear end sound or feel, but still want a high quality LSD.

Last edited by WA2GOOD; 11-05-2006 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:15 AM
Spartan

thanks alot guys your advice is great. it will be very helpful when i build my car in like 2 weeks.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:51 AM
JMS71585

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep the stock headers and stock cats. Replacing those will cause you to lose power - go with a 3" exhaust, thats all you really need. I had called stillen to get info on their s/c kits, and they recommend just a 3" exhaust...
Old 11-06-2006, 12:14 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3" exhaust is WAY too overkill for the Stillen SC. Like Scott said, the Stillen loves backpressure so the stock exhaust is your best bet, especially since its free.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:06 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

I've read all the threads, but I still don't understand why a better flowing exhaust would cause a loss of power. I can somewhat see the logic in the lower boost #, but what you're after is hp/tq, not psi, right? I do think a 3" exhaust is too much, even for a stage 4. I've stayed away from a true dual setup too, but I just can't wrap my mind around why HFC's/test pipes and headers would cause a loss of power?
Old 11-06-2006, 11:01 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
I've read all the threads, but I still don't understand why a better flowing exhaust would cause a loss of power. I can somewhat see the logic in the lower boost #, but what you're after is hp/tq, not psi, right? I do think a 3" exhaust is too much, even for a stage 4. I've stayed away from a true dual setup too, but I just can't wrap my mind around why HFC's/test pipes and headers would cause a loss of power?
I see what you are saying. I/we have done everything there is to do to a Stillen SC to inprove its power. including, but not limited to exhaust ie; headers, test pipes and better flowing cat backs. Believe me, there is no power/tq. gain you will get from exhaust with this Stillen/Eaton M62 blower. These units thrive on, and seem to make thier power with a decent amount of backpressure. Trust me......
Old 11-07-2006, 05:34 AM
wtf no turbo

Just to chime in on the exhaust since i know squat about stillen s/c. Greddy makes a straight bolt on muffler that doesnt sound bad and may even up you back pressure. SP2 maybe?
Old 11-10-2006, 05:21 AM
BlackSpec02

I would have to reinforce definitely NO HFCats or Headers... but I would encourage the stillen exhaust... i run it and love it... looks wise I would get the HKS Ti over it. I think there is a dyno out there showing that the stillen true dual makes more power w/ the S/C than stock exhaust.... w/o other mods... i run the s/c, pop charger, and stillen exhaust.

I know that this S/C set up makes the dynamic of the engine's power gains very different but with the x pipe the back pressure is still pretty sufficient and although like i said w/ s/c the power works different but this exhaust dynos among the highest for stock and n/a Z's too.

Last edited by BlackSpec02; 11-10-2006 at 05:24 AM.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:32 PM
350Z84

Do all superchargers lose power when you open up the exhaust side of things???
Old 11-15-2006, 08:31 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by 350Z84
Do all superchargers lose power when you open up the exhaust side of things???
No, in fact this roots type SC is the only SC that I have ever seen that does not benefit from an open exhaust. The ATI Pro-Charger and Vortech love open exhaust.