Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Full Stand-alone for RB Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 05:04 AM
kalima275Z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
They were swapping 2JZs into those cars not RBs.
Oh yah, my bad. LOL.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:20 AM
002-M-P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats true but there are beter solutions out there. My buddy at Desynz has been using the HKS Fcon V Pro a lot lately. And honestly for the price there is nothing more complete than the AEM EMS. Its been beyond proven. In all honesty you don't NEED to keep the stock ECU. The AEM EMS will run the car with or without it. The only if with using the EMS is IF you can make the ECU still work to control the CAN bus which would be an IF with any EMS you choose for this type of setup.
What about abs?
Old 11-16-2006, 06:55 AM
widebody350

Correct me if I am wrong but I think that can be left to factory ecu or you can have it set up to wrong on any of the EMSs listed. I was planning on leaving it to the factory ecu though if possible.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:59 AM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

You definitely need to keep the factory ECU in the Z. We took it out when we did a complete race Marelli standalone for my car and EVERYTHING quit working. Turn signals, lights, of course gauges, I even think windows. It was easy when we were dealing with Supras and you could pull the ECU and everything continues to work fine. I guess that is what you get when you switch to a 98 to an 03-04.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:09 AM
MIAPLAYA

Good point. The stock ECU will have to exist in some form...
Old 11-16-2006, 07:35 AM
002-M-P

Originally Posted by InjectedPerf
You definitely need to keep the factory ECU in the Z. We took it out when we did a complete race Marelli standalone for my car and EVERYTHING quit working. Turn signals, lights, of course gauges, I even think windows. It was easy when we were dealing with Supras and you could pull the ECU and everything continues to work fine. I guess that is what you get when you switch to a 98 to an 03-04.
Was everywire from the main harness still connected to the factory ecu in your car with all the factory sensors and whatnot disconnected from the engine, so you could utilize the entire Marelli loom directly to the engine? Or did you cut your factory harness up and just connect the Marelli from there leaving only the main connections on the factory harness (abs, interior stuff, etc)?
Old 11-16-2006, 07:38 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by 002-M-P
Was everywire from the main harness still connected to the factory ecu in your car with all the factory sensors and whatnot disconnected from the engine, so you could utilize the entire Marelli loom directly to the engine? Or did you cut your factory harness up and just connect the Marelli from there leaving only the main connections on the factory harness (abs, interior stuff, etc)?
I believe they have a plug and play harness for that unit So the wires are pre spliced into the engine specifc wiring on the main harness and the stock ECU remains with only the necessary wires going to it. In talking to Greg at SEMA he said he just unplugged the stock ECU from their plug and play harness so the only source to anything was coming from the Mariellis wiring to the engine.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:47 AM
002-M-P

I believe they have a plug and play harness for that unit So the wires are pre spliced into the engine specifc wiring on the main harness and the stock ECU remains with only the necessary wires going to it. In talking to Greg at SEMA he said he just unplugged the stock ECU from their plug and play harness so the only source to anything was coming from the Mariellis wiring to the engine.
So say you were going to run the RB and had a PFC or AEM EMS that was plug and play with the RB engine harness....would the best possible plan for wiring up the car be to plug the RB and all of its components into the standalone, then put a autosport harness between the stock Z ecu and harness and cut all wires that go to pins on the ECU that will no longer be utilized and figure out a way to run the RPM, speed, water temp, etc. to the factory gauges?

I know what I am saying here is extremely crude and it is not that simple, but you get the idea of what I am getting at
Old 11-16-2006, 07:52 AM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

The first time around when we were designing variable cam and DBW we completely removed the stock harness and ECU. The plug and play setup we have now is a patch harness going between the stock ecu and the Marelli with an additional harness going to the engine bay for air temp, water temp, boost sensor and MAP. The stock ecu controls all the creature comforts while the Marelli controls ignition timing, fuel, boost, VCT, and just about anything else you want.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:57 AM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

So say you were going to run the RB and had a PFC or AEM EMS that was plug and play with the RB engine harness....would the best possible plan for wiring up the car be to plug the RB and all of its components into the standalone, then put a autosport harness between the stock Z ecu and harness and cut all wires that go to pins on the ECU that will no longer be utilized and figure out a way to run the RPM, speed, water temp, etc. to the factory gauges?

I know what I am saying here is extremely crude and it is not that simple, but you get the idea of what I am getting at

Good luck! You can probably do that if I am reading above correctly. The pinout diagram on the 350z ECU is very informative. The stock gauges will probably flip out because of how it is all wired, but you could probably run a hybrid setup between the RB ECU and 350z ECU. Having the necessary sensors feeding directly into the RB ECU with everything still feeding the Z one for gauges, ABS, etc. as well. Make sense?
Old 11-16-2006, 08:02 AM
MIAPLAYA

I'm wondering you can basically run two engine harnesses without the RB ECU. If I recall the EMS can 100% replace the RB ECU so it doesnt even have to be there. If thats the case I would basically run both harnesses into the car. Have the stock Z harness hooked up to the stock ECU with the engine specific wires disconnected and use the AEM EMS to plug right into the RB harness. You'll obvciousy need to cross wire some inputs to the Z ECU. I'm not sure how many are needed but I think the EMS has like 16 configurable outputs you can use.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:05 AM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

The AEM ecu can replace the RB ecu (no need to purchase the RB ecu, only need the harness). It is much like the 2JZ's and does not have all that technologically advanced crap

I'm wondering you can basically run two engine harnesses without the RB ECU. If I recall the EMS can 100% replace the RB ECU so it doesnt even have to be there. If thats the case I would basically run both harnesses into the car. Have the stock Z harness hooked up to the stock ECU with the engine specific wires disconnected and use the AEM EMS to plug right into the RB harness. You'll obvciousy need to cross wire some inputs to the Z ECU. I'm not sure how many are needed but I think the EMS has like 16 configurable outputs you can use.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:06 AM
widebody350

For the most part.--002 looks like you might be the next one to do this swap...seem real interested? Thank you all very much for answering so many questions. I'm looking forward to this and calling around some more today to see if I can't find some lower mileage engines. Well it's a good thing that I don't need the ECU because a lot of the engines available don't have them. A lot of these companies that import these engines really don't know what they're doing/talking about.

Last edited by widebody350; 11-16-2006 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:06 AM
MIAPLAYA

Or you can just ditch ABS and the stock gauges and use standalone units. I think a set of Autometer Carbon Fiber Speedo, tach, water temp, oil pressure, and voltmeter would be sick in the Z. And instead of the little info gauge on the left you put in a boost gauge and get everything you really need for a "factory" boosted car. You could still then run a pillar with a wideband, oil temp, and EGT to round out the needed gauges.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:08 AM
MIAPLAYA

The AEM ecu can replace the RB ecu (no need to purchase the RB ecu, only need the harness). It is much like the 2JZ's and does not have all that technologically advanced crap
Perfect. So then you just plug the AEM EMS into the RB harness and run the singal outputs needed over to the Z ECU from the EMS. That should do the trick. (not as easy as it sounds but still a clean way to do it)
Old 11-16-2006, 08:14 AM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

Marelli!!!

Or you can just ditch ABS and the stock gauges and use standalone units. I think a set of Autometer Carbon Fiber Speedo, tach, water temp, oil pressure, and voltmeter would be sick in the Z. And instead of the little info gauge on the left you put in a boost gauge and get everything you really need for a "factory" boosted car. You could still then run a pillar with a wideband, oil temp, and EGT to round out the needed gauges.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:30 AM
MIAPLAYA

Marelli!!!

Mmmm...digital display... How many parameters can be monitored at once on that Greg?
Old 11-16-2006, 08:42 AM
widebody350

Baring anything going wrong with this deal I have found the motor and when I get home will probably send out the paypal payment. RB26DETT(everything but the ECU) with the RB26 tranny(I'll put it on E-bay). He is also including the full R33 front clip with Brembo brakes. It is nearby in MD and he said that when I go to pick it up they will compression test the engine for me. It also includes a 30 day warranty. The mileage is 106,000km which is about 60,000miles.

Last edited by widebody350; 11-16-2006 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:54 AM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

8 alarm channels, 10 internal channels, 2 warning outputs for external warning lights, and lap time. Side button switches between 3 user defined maps (practice, warmup, and race). Per map I believe you can have 5 parameters + rpm or mph (user preference). Display is also back lit with two distinguished colors (red - warning and green- gearshift).

Mmmm...digital display... How many parameters can be monitored at once on that Greg?

Last edited by InjectedPerf; 11-16-2006 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:28 AM
002-M-P

Yea, when I was saying RB ecu I was actually refering to the aftermarket EMS that plugs directly into the RB harness. The one issue I have with completely removing the factory ecu is this is a street driven car so the CAN bus must work so I can get it inspected.

I don't know if i'm the next person to do this yet, I just like to get all of my information.... I kind of like the idea of doing everything custom rather than buying a kit from JE import performance (I bet its going to be a rediculously expensive kit anyway)

I assume I could get the power steering to work, but I'm not sure about A/C...not a huge issue though. I guess I am going to be researching this alot more.

Quick Reply: Full Stand-alone for RB Swap