Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Full Stand-alone for RB Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 07:46 PM
002-M-P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally like the original plan as well MIA. Seems like much less headache...at least for the initial install. Maybe slowly convert it over when you happen to get bored
Old 12-05-2006, 09:43 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by 002-M-P
I personally like the original plan as well MIA. Seems like much less headache...at least for the initial install. Maybe slowly convert it over when you happen to get bored
Absolutely. As you do more work to the car you can trim off portions of the two harnesses you don't need if you want to. I would full expect when you do something like this you aren't planning to get rid of the car for quite some time but if you ever do want to put a VQ back in leaving the factory harness there and intact would make putting a VQ back in much easier the next time around. Personally I would tuck away the VQ harness and hack up the RB one to get rid of non-engine related stuff if you need the room.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:09 PM
Zexy

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Absolutely. As you do more work to the car you can trim off portions of the two harnesses you don't need if you want to. I would full expect when you do something like this you aren't planning to get rid of the car for quite some time but if you ever do want to put a VQ back in leaving the factory harness there and intact would make putting a VQ back in much easier the next time around. Personally I would tuck away the VQ harness and hack up the RB one to get rid of non-engine related stuff if you need the room.

+1 Seems like a much better and less complicated idea.

So what would be the point of trimming off portions you don't need? For the clean factor although it'll be hidden?
Old 12-05-2006, 10:20 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Zexy
+1 Seems like a much better and less complicated idea.

So what would be the point of trimming off portions you don't need? For the clean factor although it'll be hidden?
No for room if needed. You are going to be tucking away the equivalent of one complete ECU harness when its all said and done. The non-engine side of the RB harness and the engine side of the VQ harness. I'm just thinking at some point you may run out of room to put the wire. In which case I would only cut away the parts of the RB harness you aren't using. If you want to be real nifty about it you could run a smaller battery and make a nice little cover plate to go over the ECU harness parts you aren't using tucked away in the battery compartment. Theres actually quite a bit of room in there anyways. But you could switch to a Braile battery and have tones of room and then use the new battery mounts as a mounting spot for a little SS cover to sit on top of the spare looms and cover them. Just makes it cleaner all around. And the harnesses have to go that spot anyways to get into the passenger compartment and the VQ ECU anyways.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:07 AM
Triple8Sol
Banned

It's a bitch to fit the oem wiring harness with the VQ. Not sure if the RB will leave more room, but I still think it'll be a tough task
Old 12-07-2006, 05:40 AM
Zexy

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
It's a bitch to fit the oem wiring harness with the VQ. Not sure if the RB will leave more room, but I still think it'll be a tough task

Like MIA said, you can trim out and wiring you won't need to leave room. It's pointless to leave it stored unless you think you might swap the VQ35 back someday.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:15 PM
nismo69

Anyone have a clue on the price of this kit yet???By the way have a good friend with 240sx with a rb and has power fc its great esp for the price.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:51 PM
ArCtM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any progress on this swap???
Old 12-18-2006, 03:32 PM
Zexy

Originally Posted by ArCtM
Any progress on this swap???
This doesn't take 2 weeks. I'm sure 002-MP is still in the process of tearing the motor apart.

Let the thread die and updates should be posted.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:51 PM
002-M-P

Yea, I am taking the head off tommorow and going to inspect even more. Zexy and I both don't seem to be in a huge rush. I am doing everything right, so it may be some time before anymore updates.

I may be putting updated pictures in my website gallery though before I post any actual new threads... http://mp-racing.net/Gallery