Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Full Stand-alone for RB Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 10:58 AM
widebody350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Stand-alone for RB Swap

I don't want to turn this into an RB vs. VQ, or wishfull thinking, bs what if, kind of thread like all the others about putting an RB26DETT in a 350z so please don't. A shop came out with a kit that allows you to put an RB in a 350z and while it is not cheap it is different which is what I am after. I plan on doing this over the winter so that it is ready for spring. They recommend using an APEXi Power FC unit which I was told by a competent person, wasn't the best thing to use. I am looking for recommendations for other options as well as pros and cons. Again, please don't turn this into another RB vs. VQ, or thread full of any extremely newb questions/what ifs. -Also sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:08 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by widebody350
I don't want to turn this into an RB vs. VQ, or wishfull thinking, bs what if, kind of thread like all the others about putting an RB26DETT in a 350z so please don't. A shop came out with a kit that allows you to put an RB in a 350z and while it is not cheap it is different which is what I am after. I plan on doing this over the winter so that it is ready for spring. They recommend using an APEXi Power FC unit which I was told by a competent person, wasn't the best thing to use. I am looking for recommendations for other options as well as pros and cons. Again, please don't turn this into another RB vs. VQ, or thread full of any extremely newb questions/what ifs. -Also sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.
I'm pretty sure HKS makes a plug and play app for the RB26DETT. If so Fcon V Pro is what I would use. Unless for some reason AEM makes an EMS for it..
Old 11-15-2006, 11:19 AM
THE TECH

Just depends what kind of money you want to spend. You can do anything from a Power FC to A Motec.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:31 AM
002-M-P

I had a PowerFC on my rx7 and it was a great unit for a great price. One reason alot of people don't like it is because it doesn't come with a way to interface it with a pc out of the box (only supported by certain shops) and usually comes with the PFC Commander handheld unit/display. The commander works good but there is no way to datalog with it or change information in the fuel/ign tables except for cell by cell individually. But there is a guy from NZ who has been making these components to interface it with the computer for sometime now (they are vehicle specific and they have one for ever series RB26 motor IRC). I will see if I can find this information for you, I just got to remember what he calls it.

BTW...who makes this kit for the swap?
Old 11-15-2006, 11:31 AM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

AEM does make an EMS for the RB26DETT. If you need one let me know.

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
I'm pretty sure HKS makes a plug and play app for the RB26DETT. If so Fcon V Pro is what I would use. Unless for some reason AEM makes an EMS for it..
Old 11-15-2006, 11:36 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by InjectedPerf
AEM does make an EMS for the RB26DETT. If you need one let me know.
Thats the way I would go then... At least the EMS can be adjusted by the end user later without a trip back to the tuning shop...although I wouldn't adjust too much unless you were on a dyno..
Old 11-15-2006, 11:36 AM
widebody350

With a swap like this I'm not going to penny pinch. I would rather spend a grand or two more to make sure that the tuner has everything he needs to make sure that the car will run properly and not have to be in and out of the shop all the time. I checked out Motec and I'm looking into the M600 or M800. There is a Motec dealer not too far from my house so I think I will give them a call later to see about prices. I will look into the AEM now as well.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:37 AM
MIAPLAYA

With a swap like this I'm not going to penny pinch. I would rather spend a grand or two more to make sure that the tuner has everything he needs to make sure that the car will run properly and not have to be in and out of the shop all the time. I checked out Motec and I'm looking into the M600 or M800. There is a Motec dealer not too far from my house so I think I will give them a call later to see about prices.
For the money you are going to spend on the Motec you could get the AEM EMS AND a Turbo upgrade a manifold to match... the EMS will do everything the Motec can for a lot less. Plus you can make small changes yourself later. Thats the way I would go...
Old 11-15-2006, 11:39 AM
002-M-P

Here is that Power FC Datalogger I was talking about...called FC-Datalogit... http://www.fc-datalogit.co.nz/fc-datalogit.html

The Power FC will be nowhere near as powerful as the Motec M600 or the AEM EMS, but it is still an option that is very widely used on GTR's around the world.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:42 AM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

I agree with MIAPLAYA. The AEM EMS has been proven in hundreds of Toyota Supras running deep into the 8 second quarter mile as well as many other import and domestic cars. While Motec and even Magnetti Marrelli is at the top, I don't think it is needed. The forum help you can get with an AEM is a lot more than the Motec by far.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:50 AM
002-M-P

I think your best bet would be to get on a forum like www.skylinesaustralia.com or www.skylinesdownunder.com and see what they are running for their engine management and what you like best. I was looking hard at a RB26 swap for a 240 for a long time and planned on running the power fc just because of my familiarity with it, its good reputation, and cost. Also look at what the shops around you are familiar with tuning.

You have actually got my gears turning a little bit on this one though...would you mind letting me know who is making this kit?
Old 11-15-2006, 11:52 AM
widebody350

Thanks Mia...really respect your opinion...I know you know your sh*t. 002 really appreciate you finding that out for me. I have just read too many stories on the internet where people have shorted certain parts of the swap and had a bad result because of that. I would rather spend a bit more money the first time and have it done right than having to deal with the extra money/hassels to fix the car later. Injected Performance can you PM a price.
JE Import Performance makes it. Basically they sell a cross-member, motor mounts,and an intake manifold so that it fits under the hood. They used an RB26 tranny(AWD) and modified it to be RWD, but I plan to just use an RB25 tranny so I don't have to mess with the tranny.
I've wanted to do the swap for a long time but always wrote it off as wishful thinking until I came across JE. With the MasterGrade kit and my plans for it I am e-mailing/talking to some of the motor importers and it looks like I will be getting a discount on the motor as well which should help me bump the power output a bit.

Last edited by widebody350; 11-15-2006 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:56 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OP-I know you dont "skimp" on anything car related, so like I said while the PFC may get it done, there are certainly better options out there for you and your future RB powered Z Good suggestions in this post...
Old 11-15-2006, 11:56 AM
002-M-P

Thanks for that info widebody...and I feel ya on not wanting to skimp on anything. I would have to also agree with going with the rb25 tranny instead of a modified rb26 tranny. I think your just asking for problems then.

EDIT: Just as a little extra info...check out this thread (turbo upgrades on a rb26) and look at the number of people running the power fc... http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/for...howtopic=93880

Last edited by 002-M-P; 11-15-2006 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:11 PM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Check out Turbo mag Jan. 07. There is a company that says there are going to make a kit that swaps the rb26 into the 350/G. The company JE Import Performance.

They are also using the Apex' FC.

I check the site out and everything in under construction. That was 2 weeks ago.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:24 PM
002-M-P

Ok after doing a little bit more thinking...how do you plan on keeping your car street legal (i.e. getting it inspected). As far as I know you cannot utilize the CAN bus without the factory ecu, and with nothing to read from it it will never get an inspection, and without an inspection you can't have insurance. Maybe I am just not seeing something, but please enlighten me if there is anyway to do this, i'm intrigued.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:38 PM
widebody350

002 that is a good question and one that I need to look into. If nothing else I can register it as a show car or however they classify some of the Mclaren F1s, which will limit the amount of driving that I am allowed on the streets, but I am sure there is a way to make the car able to pass inspection. If anyone knows by all means, share your knowledge.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:43 PM
MIAPLAYA

I believe with the AEM EMS and HKS Fcon you should be able to leave the factory ECU in to control the CAN bus and use the standalone stuff to only control the motor. Same as the current HKS Fcon V Pro for the Z but with a different harness on the side that connects to the motor.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:04 PM
widebody350

Simple enough Mia...thanks again. I'm really looking forawrd to this. I haven't had my car available to drive in about a year so I am going to enjoy it for a month or so, then when December and snow hits it will go in the shop for this swap as well as interior work.--002 looked at the upgraded turbos link in there and it seems I'll make some pretty good hp pretty easilly. Don't really know what some of those letters are though like rkw or ps or how much horse power that is.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:14 PM
MIAPLAYA

Simple enough Mia...thanks again. I'm really looking forawrd to this. I haven't had my car available to drive in about a year so I am going to enjoy it for a month or so, then when December and snow hits it will go in the shop for this swap as well as interior work.--002 looked at the upgraded turbos link in there and it seems I'll make some pretty good hp pretty easilly. Don't really know what some of those letters are though like rkw or ps or how much horse power that is.
Just as an FYI a good buddy of mine in Australia does a LOT of turbo upgrades on GT-Rs if you need some info on it... His shops name is Desynz Motorsports. I think he usually uses a T72 or T76 on them (built motor of course). Turbonetics typically but I know he has done some HKS T04Z stuff as well. He will be doing a Turbonetics GT-K on his next RB26DETT build. But he can probably work out a nice manifold for you if you are interested and give you some info on what to use to build the motor (if you plan to). He's being doing it for a LOT of years now.

Edit: Forgot to add his name is Dane.

Quick Reply: Full Stand-alone for RB Swap