Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Pics of infamous South Florida RB26 350z

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 08:15 PM
tig488

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stick with the twins, easily make 600whp with em.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:15 PM
atar350

Damn, please more pics, especially when that thing has been fully detailed outside/engine bay. The company that made his parts for the swap should really think about making a kit for the market, I would want to swap an RB26 in my Z real quick, if I ever do power mods again, the only thing I am doing is an RB with either very responsive twin turbos, or a nice single...
Old 12-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Zexy

Originally Posted by 002-M-P
Zexy thanks for the great pics...any pics always help.

BTW are you getting a shop down their to do the installation? Seems right now I'm the only one wanted to do all the fabbing myself.

Most likely i'll be getting a shop to do the swap. But i'm not sure yet.

Fabbing the mounts shouldn't be too difficult. Wiring seems like a big job right now(getting a shop to do it or JE) and driveshaft needs to be done professionally.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:26 PM
002-M-P

Originally Posted by Zexy
Most likely i'll be getting a shop to do the swap. But i'm not sure yet.

Fabbing the mounts shouldn't be too difficult. Wiring seems like a big job right now(getting a shop to do it or JE) and driveshaft needs to be done professionally.
Driveshaft Shop (aka people who make the Level 2 and Level 5 axles for our cars) is only an hour away from my house....and they sell 240sx driveshafts for rb swaps everyday.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:32 PM
plumpzz

very nice. The Z should've came w/ that motor. Well..theres a reason the Z is 30 grand or less.
Personally, the Z should've come w/ a 3L Twin turbo just like the old Z, but using the new VQ block/technology. It would make one MONSTER of a street car/race car/touring car.
BMW's saying is always right: put one hell of an engine in a car, and make it the weakest part of the vehicle.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Zexy

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Zexy, further data. Without the stock VQ ECU you have no creature comfort. Its going to have to stay there somehow. As for this car it looks very sick but he should ditch that turbo. Its WAY to big for a stock block RB. Its most likely surging itself to death across most of the power band. When you do this and pick your single turbo, pick one that a LOT smaller for the stock motor.
I'm going for a smaller setup for sure. I really don't know if surging is a problem for his setup but he says it's golden at full boost and has no issues with it.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:36 PM
Zexy

Driveshaft Shop (aka people who make the Level 2 and Level 5 axles for our cars) is only an hour away from my house....and they sell 240sx driveshafts for rb swaps everyday.

Ahhh bastid

There's quite a few driveshaft shops here in Orlando too so i think i'm covered as well.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:38 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by tig488
stick with the twins, easily make 600whp with em.
Not without a LOT of boost you won't. The HKS twin units are the only ones I have seen or read come close to 600 WHP on twins. And it took 34 PSI of boost and cams to make it happen. The easiest way to do it is a properlly sized single. T04Z, GT-K 650, something like that.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:42 PM
MIAPLAYA

I'm going for a smaller setup for sure. I really don't know if surging is a problem for his setup but he says it's golden at full boost and has no issues with it.
Dude trust me. The T88 is WAY to big for a stock bottom end car. The compressor is not even close to its efficiency at the low boost he's running and is right at the surge line. Its not just me who thinks this BTW. My buddy in Australia has built more GT-Rs then I think even he can remember and he agress for a stock bottom end, stock displacement RB the T88 is just not efficient at all. Again your car and cash but there are much better options out there. Not to mention the smaller turbos will not only make good power on the stock bottom end efficiently but they can also give you 600 WHP of power all day and still be efficient... T88 for a Supra maybe, not for a Skyline motor in anything close to stock form...
Old 12-04-2006, 08:43 PM
002-M-P

Not without a LOT of boost you won't. The HKS twin units are the only ones I have seen or read come close to 600 WHP on twins. And it took 34 PSI of boost and cams to make it happen. The easiest way to do it is a properlly sized single. T04Z, GT-K 650, something like that.
Yea people are making about 600whp MAX on the twin hks 2530's...built motor and alot of boost as MIA said. T04Z is a totally amazing turbo...but good god what a price tag it carries.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Zexy

Dude trust me. The T88 is WAY to big for a stock bottom end car. The compressor is not even close to its efficiency at the low boost he's running and is right at the surge line. Its not just me who thinks this BTW. My buddy in Australia has built more GT-Rs then I think even he can remember and he agress for a stock bottom end, stock displacement RB the T88 is just not efficient at all. Again your car and cash but there are much better options out there. Not to mention the smaller turbos will not only make good power on the stock bottom end efficiently but they can also give you 600 WHP of power all day and still be efficient... T88 for a Supra maybe, not for a Skyline motor in anything close to stock form...

Trust me buddy. If there's anybody on these forums who i would take word from in terms turbocharger efficiency .. It would be a T-netics representative I definately see your point.

Like i said i'm going with a much smaller setup (GT35R with T4 hotside)
Old 12-04-2006, 08:54 PM
Zexy

Yea people are making about 600whp MAX on the twin hks 2530's...built motor and alot of boost as MIA said. T04Z is a totally amazing turbo...but good god what a price tag it carries.

Heh. The HKS snails definately carry hefty tags. I mean they even look good! I'd sell my body for a T04Z

Good thing we're gifted with Garrett and Tnetics and still take great advantage of a variety of sizing and different options.

Singles are best IMO. Although most tuners overseas love twin setups.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:54 PM
tig488

i didnt say stock twins, most skylines ive seen with upgraded twins are making 600whp without breaking a sweat.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:59 PM
002-M-P

i didnt say stock twins, most skylines ive seen with upgraded twins are making 600whp without breaking a sweat.
You must be thinking of something like the big twins (aka twin 28/35, twin 3037s, etc). The only issue I see with those in the Z is fitment. That single T88 barely fits between the engine and engine bay, stuffing two good sized turbos in there I don't think would be easy...not to mention the wastegate(s) and downpipes. Not saying its impossible..but its gonna be headache enough doing just the swap with a single...i'm steering clear of the twin setup for now.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:07 PM
Zexy

You must be thinking of something like the big twins (aka twin 28/35, twin 3037s, etc). The only issue I see with those in the Z is fitment. That single T88 barely fits between the engine and engine bay, stuffing two good sized turbos in there I don't think would be easy...not to mention the wastegate(s) and downpipes. Not saying its impossible..but its gonna be headache enough doing just the swap with a single...i'm steering clear of the twin setup for now.

The S14 cars already have issues with twins. The steering rack blocks the downpipes on the turbos. The Z's have pretty much the same design racks. Only the LHD racks can allow space for twin downpipes. This is when you wish you had 2JZ configuration heh.. (Turbos on opposite side)

Old 12-04-2006, 09:08 PM
MIAPLAYA

Which twins? Take a trip over to the GT-R boards. With twin HKS GT2530s people are running 30+ PSI and some cams to make 600 WHP. You could go a bit larger but with twin LARGE turbos and only half the displacement you start lagging. Every 600 WHP Skyline I've seen that makes that power efficiently at somewhat decent boost pressure and with good spool up is running some kind of single setup.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:10 PM
MIAPLAYA

Trust me buddy. If there's anybody on these forums who i would take word from in terms turbocharger efficiency .. It would be a T-netics representative I definately see your point.

Like i said i'm going with a much smaller setup (GT35R with T4 hotside)
Sounds like the Turbonetics GT-K 650 to me. Except the GT-K 650 is capable of more HP and has a T4 turine already.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:11 PM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

subscribing so I have something better than ****/girlfriend for tonight!
Old 12-04-2006, 10:06 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone who thinks this motor is what nissan "should" have put in the 350Z is an idiot. Lets scrafice nearly an entire liter of displacement to have a heavier motor that was designed 2 decades ago. YEAH!

There's a reason Nissan ditched the RB26 and now uses the VQ for all of it's factory racing ventures.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:26 PM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Anyone who thinks this motor is what nissan "should" have put in the 350Z is an idiot. Lets scrafice nearly an entire liter of displacement to have a heavier motor that was designed 2 decades ago. YEAH!

There's a reason Nissan ditched the RB26 and now uses the VQ for all of it's factory racing ventures.
Yep it’s called Homologation Ruling!

RB26DETT is a dead motor. Nissan has unlimited funds to design a motor based upon a production motor! Power is only one portion of all their racing ventures so much more $$ is spent on aerodynamics and suspension tuning and tire compound testing that a motor is 2nd in that list. Ask any racer any real racer! JK... But seriously, now... I know the VQ is a fantastic motor but it isn’t a fantastic drivetrain. When Nissan gives you a Z for a single dollar and says start a race team. You have a budget for 25 trannys and 5 long blocks.

The drivetrain in some ventures is what wins a race, But driver and his lifeline to the drivetrain will always get you competing in any race. This means those Nissan racing transmissions no longer even resemble their stock brethren with the exception of a few series where they just replace the stock tranny every few races. I.E. Grand-Am Cup etc.

The RB26 is going the way of the Dinosaur not because of its inferiority but because of marketing and Nissans quest for new technology. New technology doesn’t mean better technology but it is easier to sell to a room full of board members who have never seen a race let alone know what it means to the bottom dollar to re-produce a longblock for a race team that would now be all but extinct. Where as you can produce the VQ platform for pennies on the dollar of the RB.

Not to Start an argument of flame war on what motor is better. I just think that the switch to the VQ is motivated as much politically as it is technologically.

Agree or Disagree its my $.02

Quick Reply: Pics of infamous South Florida RB26 350z