Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Pics of infamous South Florida RB26 350z

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 10:53 AM
2005daytonaZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just think guys...WWJD
Old 12-05-2006, 10:58 AM
002-M-P

It would be nice if we could keep this thread on topic somewhat. There is very little info out there as of yet on specifics of this swap. And for the ones who are doing it, any insight from others is only helpful. So if we could just stop the VQ/RB battle and keep on the topic of the RB swap....not whether or not it is worth it....it would be most appreciated.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:02 AM
DJ SMITTY
Sponsor
CIN Motorsports

002-M-P, I PMed you. I'm really REALLY interested in something like this. I like the VQ motor and all, but I'm definitely on the other side of the fence with the RB26.

-Derek
Old 12-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why doesnt somebody just contact the shop that did this guys swap and ask away? Or email the thread to them. Then we'd get solid info as opposed to speculation on how to go about doing things, what works/doesnt etc....
Old 12-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Zexy

Originally Posted by 002-M-P
It would be nice if we could keep this thread on topic somewhat. There is very little info out there as of yet on specifics of this swap. And for the ones who are doing it, any insight from others is only helpful. So if we could just stop the VQ/RB battle and keep on the topic of the RB swap....not whether or not it is worth it....it would be most appreciated.
+1

Lets just get together for some smores and sing kumbaya guys

My appologies if i raised the notch to aggravate you guys. Lets stay on topic if it's not too much to ask.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:05 AM
roncfpz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chimmike
Less talky about the swap and how great it is, and MORE DO THE DAMN THING OR SHUT UP!
Mike, he is doing the swap. He already has the motor, getting machine work done, etc.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Zexy

Originally Posted by Alberto
Why doesnt somebody just contact the shop that did this guys swap and ask away? Or email the thread to them. Then we'd get solid info as opposed to speculation on how to go about doing things, what works/doesnt etc....

I've done some research and called the shop and the owner. I know what's been done In terms of wiring many of the forum guys and myself are still not clear about it as keeping BCM functions is desireable. This process is a little more complex. The rest is common sense(mounts, driveshft, etc.)
Old 12-05-2006, 11:16 AM
TENGAI

I think that JE Import is doing an out of the box kit for something like this IIRC. In any case, RB vs. VQ debates are all over the place. A few guys already said it, but it's really up to the owner as far as what route they want to go. At the end of the day, you end up spending close to the same amount of $$$, and have similar power gains. TQ delivery is vastly different, and a built VQ can make the same power on less PSI, but you'll be hard pressed to see a VQ push out 20+ psi. Unlike the RB that sreams to 10k+ RPM and can handle 30+ psi on a properly built setup.

Again, 2 completely different animals. The RB is a classic, but the VQ is quickly showing it's potential given proper supporting components. Again, it's just up to the owner on how you want to spread yourself from the rest of the pack...

As always, just my
Old 12-05-2006, 11:29 AM
Javierg35

Default Agree but !!!!!!!

Originally Posted by 002-M-P
If you are paying a shop to do it for you...then yes you are probably looking at a pretty hefty build...but doing it yourself compared to building the Z yourself and twin turboing it, prices aren't very different at all.
I can do the swap myself (been there, done it before on my 2 early`s zx).The real issue about the swap is fully built twin turbo VQ + engine managemente vs Stock RB26 with a single turbo conversion + standalone enigine manegment = $$$$$$$$$ on both , + custom work on the rb26.If price of a fully build long block with twins is almost the same without paying the custom work.(Remenber I have done it before y my other z)Call me lazzy but I rather have a VQ with 600whp with no custom work than a 600whp rb26 .Why I said this ,almost major isues "like the head lift " has been fixed. the only real issue here is going over 600whp on the VQ is an more afordable engine management and tunners to really take the advantage of higher boost
The rb26 with a HKS stage 2 head package can rev to 10,0000 easy ,with a stock block that can support more 700whp (check DSPORT mag GTR with over 850whp stock block)this is why I will use a rb26 over a VQ when going for 600 + whp .The rb is old .But for me dont matter how old or heavy is it ,is just the most power hungry engine ever came out of Japan.you can beat the crap out of this engine and still the FUC#$% comes for more
with a good tunning is almos unbreakable!!!!!
Old 12-05-2006, 11:31 AM
chimmike

Originally Posted by roncfpz
Mike, he is doing the swap. He already has the motor, getting machine work done, etc.

ahh, okay

P.S., i'll be there saturday, Z-less, but that meth injection kit is MINE BABY!
Old 12-05-2006, 11:40 AM
350Z_LEE

Originally Posted by Alberto
+1
Old 12-05-2006, 12:11 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by S1AMEZE
you'll be hard pressed to see a VQ push out 20+ psi. Unlike the RB that sreams to 10k+ RPM and can handle 30+ psi on a properly built setup.:

does it really matter how much PSI you are pushing when the VQ is already making 1800 whp?
Old 12-05-2006, 12:26 PM
bverschage

very nice
Old 12-05-2006, 01:27 PM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
And you think you told me something I didn't already know? The FACT is the VQ has tons of potential and in some applications is already nearly 2000hp with a much fatter, usable powerband than an RB26.

My point is only that a motor swap is kind of retarded when you're replacing a motor that has just as much if not MORE potential. If this was a 1.8L Sentra and you swapped in a RB then hell yea, step forward. But an RB swap to me is almost a step backward. Sure it's stronger in bone stock form..but who the hell leaves a motor completely stock when they make REAL power? Putting an RB in a Z is like putting a LT1 in a C5 Vette, stronger stock for stock? Yes. Good idea? Not in my book.
I doubt there is anything I can say, that you wouldnt already know. I was just putting the other side out there. I any forum its good to have all the info out on the table and just let the people decide what to do with it. It certainly wasnt being brought up. Only one side of the story was being told.

I am certain that the RB26 owners wil enjoy their cars the same as us. I know itd be fun to swap a built RB and run 900 hp onto a stock tranny and not worry about killing it.

Edit: For what its worth I do agree with you, Id much rather have a fat power band of usable power than a huge peak number. This is why I love the VQs great potential in that means.

Last edited by MI 35th; 12-05-2006 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:44 PM
MohamedChan

any videos?? please....
Old 12-05-2006, 02:47 PM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats the weight difference between the Rb and the Vq?
Old 12-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by MohamedChan
any videos?? please....
https://my350z.com/forum/videos/224688-350z-vs-c6-z06-vid.html

Read further if you want to be entertained by nonsense...
Old 12-05-2006, 03:53 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zexy
Key word IMO. I may think a LS1 has horrible torque. I may also think a Honda B series is a extremely powerful motor. Tastes come into play here. It's not a real fact.
You are entitled to your own opinion, but your opinion is retarded. Your opinion is the same as some guy saying that in his opinion he will never get a girl pregnant by not using a condom.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:13 PM
widebody350

If you want a light-weight NA motor then go with an LS1, if you want to go with an F/I motor and a good powerband then stick with a VQ, and if you want a high peak # then go with an RB. If you want a high peak hp # and a good useable hp # then use a built/stroked RB.
The RB powered Z in the pics that is using the T88 is not very effective IMO but I bet he plans to build the motor so he is cutting costs for future mods by jumping the gun and going with the bigger turbo from the start.
In the end it is w/e floats your boat.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:21 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
You are entitled to your own opinion, but your opinion is retarded. Your opinion is the same as some guy saying that in his opinion he will never get a girl pregnant by not using a condom.
Classic...

Quick Reply: Pics of infamous South Florida RB26 350z