Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Pics of infamous South Florida RB26 350z

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 06:11 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know the intent of the thread, stop telling certain people to go elsewhere, its a public forum deal with people's opinions/views, Im not here arguing about the VQ's superiority I simply expressed my views on the 1 RB-Z I have seen in action.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:16 AM
ipcheck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ you always seem to go at it with someone, speaking with such strong opinions, and... anyway.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:19 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MI 35th
I just think that the switch to the VQ is motivated as much politically as it is technologically.
And you think you told me something I didn't already know? The FACT is the VQ has tons of potential and in some applications is already nearly 2000hp with a much fatter, usable powerband than an RB26.

My point is only that a motor swap is kind of retarded when you're replacing a motor that has just as much if not MORE potential. If this was a 1.8L Sentra and you swapped in a RB then hell yea, step forward. But an RB swap to me is almost a step backward. Sure it's stronger in bone stock form..but who the hell leaves a motor completely stock when they make REAL power? Putting an RB in a Z is like putting a LT1 in a C5 Vette, stronger stock for stock? Yes. Good idea? Not in my book.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:22 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by Zexy
First of all i ain't your bro.

Second i have never gotten offended. I asked with all due respect and please. All of us have our preferences and there are any other threads for this debate.

My intent was to share the wealth, answer any Q's, and to leave any VQ discussion out of this one. Calm down now boy.

Neither Alberto or I were responsible for bringing up the VQ in this thead....BRO. Stop whining.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:28 AM
RBlover69

zexy, u sholdve knwn people are gonna express themselves man. Lol i mean its a forum, but ....as for the swap much props. But, i dunno seeing to as the vqs built are producing so much tq with TTs and at the fraction of the cost for the swap and standalone ecus trannies. , I mean it might be more cost effective just to build and boost a vq. Not many built vqs blow up from what i seen and are really amazing tq engines with great linear powerbands. The RB is amazing in its era even to this date but, the vq is a more advanced motor thus its potential will be not capped as the rbs is right now per application and future. lol. but anyways

with that ramble out
when can i see the motor man, u gotta hook a brotha up with witnessing the action
Old 12-05-2006, 06:44 AM
roncfpz

I don't think Rouz's car is the perfectly well rounded RB tuned car. Nonetheless his car if additionally and properly tuned can make great numbers and that Z06 woul dhave been toast much earlier. I'd ditch the VQ for the RB anyday of the week.

But besides that fact i never intended this thread to turn into another VQ vs. RB debate. My search function has plenty(Attn. Briguymax, Alberto) of them.

Move along to your typical 400whp twin turbo threads
Well said bro. I give you major props for having the ***** to do it. It will be different and I look forward to seeing it done and running with ya.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:48 AM
RBlover69

werd, u makig me jealous man,..cause ur the only other z in my area , i cant be out done so quickly lol. well u have been here longer though lol.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:55 AM
03BrickyardZ

Yeah, Its kind of rediculous to post a thread showing an RB-Z and epecting people not to go, "Its cool, but why?"

Keep in mind they made RB's as small as 2.0 (!) liters (lest we forget the RB20DET "red top" from the R31). The RB also shared most of its technology with the VG and CA motor line. It was a great motor for its time.

Also note that the VQ has been on the list of 10 best motors worldwide for the past 12 years (the RB never made the list.)!!
Old 12-05-2006, 06:59 AM
taurran

Looks like a piece of sh*t.

... just kidding! Paint that valve cover!
Old 12-05-2006, 07:31 AM
Javierg35

Smile That T88 ....

Dam is way to big for a stock Rb26 , belive me I have work with rb26 (done rb swaps in early 300zx).Instead of a t88 , I wil prefered a TO4R (good response,nice powerband, and powerfull high end power.

The way I see it is ,the only real benefits of the RB26 over the VQ is the awsome power band (from 3,000 to almost 9,000 stock,with my choice of TO4R turbo).For a real street daily driven car with 600whp top or less I will keep the VQ. Don`t get me wrong I love the RB26dett(bulletproof as bulletproof comes from the factory) But the more I work with the VQ The more I like it (lots TQ with less boost) the only thing I don`t like of the VQ is that does not rev. the way a like "9,500RPM"
To choose a RB engine over the the VQ It comes to just MONEY $$$$ , and just to be diferent. To me money is an issue so I will stick to a fully build twin turbo VQ But just imagine my G with a fully build rb26 make me go like this
Old 12-05-2006, 08:03 AM
EM-EFER

Pretty cool that he had it done, but a T88=Retarded.

And I don't like the owner
Old 12-05-2006, 09:00 AM
MrsHondaGhandi

Originally Posted by gNaRKiLL
Finally a pic of the motor that should have been in the Z. One of the Shops that are sponsors on this board should look into making up a full swap kit for a reasonable price so more people can do this.
Hmmmm.....
Old 12-05-2006, 09:10 AM
002-M-P

Originally Posted by Javierg35
To choose a RB engine over the the VQ It comes to just MONEY $$$$ , and just to be diferent. To me money is an issue so I will stick to a fully build twin turbo VQ But just imagine my G with a fully build rb26 make me go like this
If you are paying a shop to do it for you...then yes you are probably looking at a pretty hefty build...but doing it yourself compared to building the Z yourself and twin turboing it, prices aren't very different at all.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:22 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^
I agree that if you are capable of machining parts and fabrication there is no reason why you could not do it for about the same price as a fully built TT VQ. It would take lots of patience and I would say 1.5-2 years of good work that does not include rushing it and cobbling things together.

Personally, I would use the 2JZ engine as it is more readily avalible in the U.S. which means cheaper and the opposite side exhaust would be beneficial cost wise and fabrication ease.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:30 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

people always bash american cars saying their big V8/V10's are monster huge and heavy etc, but compared to the RB26, they weigh considerably less since they're not made out of iron and then a huge turbo/intercooler/piping on top of that. The RB26 is a great engine, but it's like a freaking train engine as far as weight
Old 12-05-2006, 09:33 AM
Zexy

Thanks for all the VQ loving guys. It's a great naturally aspirated motor IMO. That's that

Enjoy the pics!
Old 12-05-2006, 09:33 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Quamen
^^^
I agree that if you are capable of machining parts and fabrication there is no reason why you could not do it for about the same price as a fully built TT VQ. It would take lots of patience and I would say 1.5-2 years of good work that does not include rushing it and cobbling things together.

Personally, I would use the 2JZ engine as it is more readily avalible in the U.S. which means cheaper and the opposite side exhaust would be beneficial cost wise and fabrication ease.
Its a good motor but the signals and wiring are going to be DRASTICALLY different than on a Nissan car. I mean the RB harness is going to be different no doubt but the hope I have is that the later model ECUs and signal have not changed THAT much signal wise from the curent stuff. Look at the radio harness. The radio harness and pin out has been the same since 95.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs down RB nutswinger....

Thanks for all the VQ loving guys. It's a great naturally aspirated motor IMO. That's that

Enjoy the pics!
Narrow minded a bit? Can't expect to make comments like that and not turn this into an RB vs VQ debate. Yeah, I guess my built VQ with boost has a horrible powerband (HA) compared to a similarly powered RB (at higher boost), yup VQ's only for NA use
Old 12-05-2006, 10:44 AM
Zexy

Originally Posted by Alberto
Narrow minded a bit? Can't expect to make comments like that and not turn this into an RB vs VQ debate. Yeah, I guess my built VQ with boost has a horrible powerband (HA) compared to a similarly powered RB (at higher boost), yup VQ's only for NA use

Key word IMO. I may think a LS1 has horrible torque. I may also think a Honda B series is a extremely powerful motor. Tastes come into play here. It's not a real fact.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:48 AM
chimmike

Enjoy the pics!

Less talky about the swap and how great it is, and MORE DO THE DAMN THING OR SHUT UP!

Quick Reply: Pics of infamous South Florida RB26 350z