Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My APS Extreme TT with built motor story...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 06:45 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My APS Extreme TT with built motor story...

So things didn't go as planned......

I had the motor built locally in Norcal, with everything installed. Sam@GTM has been nothing but excellent and sent us an Fcon V-Pro with a base tune to break the engine in with. Drove it down to Socal for him to tune.

These were the engine mods:

Arias ED 9:1 .020 overbore pistons
Pauter Rods
ARP main studs
ARP L19 head studs
Cosworth bearings
Ferrea Valvetrain
1mm overbore exhaust valves
titanium valve springs
valve seats
JWT S7 rev-up cams

Along with the APS Extreme TT kit, Level 5 axles, Greddy EvoTT exhaust, Bride Stradias seats, Takata Harnesses, harness bar, and a bunch of little things...

Anywho...everything was going along fine...and drove it to GTM and met Sam.

Sam installed the Exedy Dual Carbon clutch, along with Aquamist water/methenol injection.

Sam finally started running it on the dyno, for a base 91 octane map w/o methenol.

550rwhp @ 15psi. hm...that was a bit low for the boost level...maybe the engine isn't as efficient as we had hoped.

ok fine...we up the boost to 18psi...510rwhp!!! Wait...that's 40rwhp LESS at 3psi HIGHER boost! What's going on? And there were smoke everywhere...

So Sam called me up right away...and started performing a complete leadown and compression check... cylinders are losing comp, but there were no oil residue or anything in any of the turbo kit pipings. I was hoping it was a bad turbo, but it turned out to be the engine. After diagnosing with his machinest, they came to a conclusion that it was the piston rings that came with the Arias ED pistons. These piston rings are chrome, so the machining of the cylinders must be absolutely perfect and precise for it to seat properly, which it didn't.

Just this little thing...we'll need to take apart the whole longblock to do, which would kill me in labor alone, let alone if I wanted to add sleeves to it, which I would if it's apart already.

I was picking up the car today, but I guess not anymore.

Now I'm at a crossroad...of what I should do. Part out the whole car and sell it? and Get a Viper or something and TT that? or just keep going with it...?

This car has sucked a lot of money outta me since I got her 18 months ago. Well over 6 figures to be exact. I love the Z's to death...that's why I didn't just get a 911 turbo or something of that sort. I'm lucky to be earning enough to support my hobby, but like most of you here, I'm not made of money. It comes a time when I have to pull the plug.

I loved to push the limits of the aftermarket world for the Z. I love trying to develop new ideas and info for the rest of the Z world. The black 06 headlights trend, the GTS trend, the C-West CF trend, etc. were proud little achievements of mine. And the most recent thing I wanted to do was to test the boundaries of an unsleeved 3.5L VQ. Unfortunately...I came up short.

I would really like to thank Sam for working on my car endlessly...sometimes calling me at 2am or 5am to let me know he's still on the dyno and how my car is doing. I have never seen anyone work this hard for my car before. Anytime I needed, whether it be 2am on a Saturday morning, or 11pm on Wednesday night...he's always by his phone, answering me on any questions I have or providing information.

So I'll have some thinking to do in the next few days...I really have to weigh the financial aspect of this project. We were so close.......so close.

In case I don't return with the Z, I'd like to thank everyone for their contributions on this site. I will always be around, but I don't know what I'll be in. Never that big in the FI forums, however, my car had became an icon in the picture share section that I'm very proud of. It would have been a very very complete street car...

Anyways, again, Sam@GTM, thank you wholeheartedly for all your hard work and dedication on my car.

Everything has been great, and whatever I decide to do, whether it is to keep the car and build it right, or start another project, I'll always be around.

Once again, thank you.

Alex aka. Nitrouz

Last edited by Nitrouz; 12-19-2006 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:54 PM
UGOTZ'D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say don't quit something once you've already started! my freind has been in and out of his local shop for 2 years with his '03 cobra (not because it is a ford) but he stuck with it and now has one of the baddest cobras in Atl! we're talking about 1000+ rwhp and it's streetable! finish your project and after that if you don't like it then move on!
Old 12-19-2006, 06:57 PM
DaveZ06

damn, sorry to hear your loss... that must of been a shi*ty day.

Heres my opinion:
If you can get a nice discount on a new engine or even a free engine then finish up your project cuz it'll feel freakin good! But if they charge you full price again for another engine... part out and buy another car like a ferrari. That's what i think.

Dave
Old 12-19-2006, 07:00 PM
DaveZ06

Originally Posted by UGOTZ'D
I say don't quit something once you've already started! my freind has been in and out of his local shop for 2 years with his '03 cobra (not because it is a ford) but he stuck with it and now has one of the baddest cobras in Atl! we're talking about 1000+ rwhp and it's streetable! finish your project and after that if you don't like it then move on!
well he spent well over 6 figures on it already. It's not as easy as, i'm gonna finish it! It all depends...
Old 12-19-2006, 07:04 PM
rookie

From what I've read Nitrouz's story is even deeper. This is his second APS kit, first being the standard turbo kit. Not sure how much downtime an enthusiast can take.

At 6 figures into the project that's a hard choice. Some cars seem cursed at times.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:06 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Geesh Alex, I had seen another thread where, it had the stroker 4.2L Kit Upgrade and installed for $8,900 total. And it was GT Motorsports (Sam) also. Am I missing something here? I was actually planning on doing that with the jwt cams first and then the APS TT also, actually got the TT box setting in my garage (not the TT Extreme). Even sent an email couple of days ago to them to start making arrangements to bring it down and drop it off. Now, I wonder a little. Don't want it just sitting. This is the thread on Forced Induction, where I got connected and very interested in it. Butttttt after seeing your situation, I don't know now.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:06 PM
drivenCSZ

youve spent over 6 figures on your Z? how in gods name is that possible?

more power to you and we need folks like yourself to push boundaries so i appreciate but thats a ludicrous amount of money, i dont blame you for getting rid of it
Old 12-19-2006, 07:11 PM
DXB350Z

dont give up...a coupla thousand more will hurt but will not kill..
you have a nice car nitrouz...nicer than the ferrari and the viper together..

this is coming from an evo owner too
Old 12-19-2006, 07:12 PM
On Nightfall

I say get a Z06 or something...
Old 12-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Originally Posted by WSchli1672
Geesh Alex, I had seen another thread where, it had the stroker 4.2L Kit Upgrade and installed for $8,900 total. And it was GT Motorsports (Sam) also. Am I missing something here? I was actually planning on doing that with the jwt cams first and then the APS TT also, actually got the TT box setting in my garage (not the TT Extreme). Even sent an email couple of days ago to them to start making arrangements to bring it down and drop it off. Now, I wonder a little. Don't want it just sitting. This is the thread on Forced Induction, where I got connected and very interested in it. Butttttt after seeing your situation, I don't know now.
The GTM 4.2L stroker is a great kit for the money for sure. But $8900 does not include installation. You still need to take the motor out of the car, take it apart, hone and bore and balance everything, put it back together, install in the car. And this does not include heads either.

Either way, GTM has been great. I have complete confidence that the 4.2L stroker is as great as it can be. One talk with Sam, and you'll know what I mean...his knowledge can overwhelm normal mechanic shops.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:30 PM
Changvi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alex, don't quite on something that you are passionate about. You already have spent time and money in this project which it was almost finished. Things happen, and you can not let this obsticle end your conquest for perfection. I would love to see you finish your project.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:35 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

Originally Posted by Nitrouz

After diagnosing with his machinest, they came to a conclusion that it was the piston rings that came with the Arias ED pistons. These piston rings are chrome, so the machining of the cylinders must be absolutely perfect and precise for it to seat properly, which it didn't.
Isn't there any recourse in this? After all, you've spent thousands of dollars, had no control over the knowledge and/or the workmanship of the shop, and the requirements of the pistons were not known until after the install and test, shouldn't there be some kind of concession or special deferment in additional $$$? Or at least a discount? I'm not trying to crap on the people who did the work but I bet with the amount of money you've spent with them you're like VP there. If I had a "whale" type of customer coming to my business dropping large sums of money and giving me free advertising, I would do whatever it takes to make that person happy. Shops make hand over fist on labor and parts. I'm just having a hard time understanding why this is as big of a financial set back within the scope of this situation given that you've done all you could have from a customer's perspective. The people who did the work should have to answer some questions. .....But on a more personal note...don't give up man. take some time to think it over. Evaluate everything carefully and dont make a decision based on emotions. At the end if you still think financially it's worth walking away then there's nothing wrong with that. I personally would see this as a challange of trying to finish what I've started.

Last edited by JDMFairladyZ33; 12-19-2006 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:40 PM
350Zteve

I would consider legal action against the engine builder.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:43 PM
hiz-n-herz

Wow!

Sorry to hear about your troubles

I know almost nothing about FI, but...

I'd continue the project, but maybe change shops for rebuilding the short block; one that's better/more experienced at matching rings/sleeves and one that has more exprience with FI VQ35s. One that knows what will work. - unless this shop is willing to put some work into it at reduced or no cost. Or order a built short-block from a good shop.

Can you get any support from Arias? Along the lines of trying to help confirm the diagnosis on the nature of your failure?

Sounds like you are _this_ close.

You could spend big $$ on another car and build that up, but you may not be happy. Wouldn't it suck to pay 6 figures for a nice porsche, only to be considered "stock" amongst your new peers, until you start making mods? Then, who will you surprise on the street with how fast you are???

Like when I sold my highly-modified 91 CRX for a "stock" M3. I regretted that trade for a while! I could never afford to do any engine mods ot the M3.

Seems like you are one who enjoys the journey as much as the final destination.

Tough call, man. You're an idol to the rest of us But you have fought a fair fight with this one. We won't bash you if you walk away

If I had the means, I would be driving a c6 Z06. But you can't do too much (FI) to that engine either without problems. I have driven a C6 vette and it did not have the "fits-like-a-glove" feel of the z. But it sure did haul a$$!!

Let us know what you decide...
Old 12-19-2006, 07:44 PM
B-Unit

Wow alex. hate to see this happen to you bud. absolutely amazing how much time and $ you put into the Z.

What else besides a viper are you looking/interested in?

-B-
Old 12-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Abishop

yea, the people who installed those rings need to pay for their mistake.....
Old 12-19-2006, 07:45 PM
Changvi

who installed the long block and the pistons??
Old 12-19-2006, 07:46 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Originally Posted by JDMFairladyZ33
Isn't there any recourse in this? After all, you've spent thousands of dollars, had no control over the knowledge and/or the workmanship of the shop, and the requirements of the pistons were not known until after the install and test, shouldn't there be some kind of concession or special deferment in additional $$$? Or at least a discount? I'm not trying to crap on the people who did the work but I bet with the amount of money you've spent with them you're like VP there. If I had a "whale" type of customer coming to my business dropping large sums of money and giving me free advertising, I would do whatever it takes to make that person happy. Shops make hand over fist on labor and parts. I'm just having a hard time understanding why this is as big of a financial set back within the scope of this situation given that you've done all you could have from a customer's perspective. The people who did the work should have to answer some questions. .....But on a more personal note...don't give up man. take some time to think it over. Evaluate everything carefully and dont make a decision based on emotions. At the end if you still think financially it's worth walking away then there's nothing wrong with that. I personally would see this as a challange of trying to finish what I've started.
There are complications...there have been too many hands in this project, that's why it's hard to point fingers. Got the parts from Sharif, which was excellent. The car was at Zcargarage, that contracts out for engine builds. The shop has treated me great. The engine builder I've never met. Sam tried to tune, and we discovered the problem. We're going to try to contact the engine builder tomorrow...
Old 12-19-2006, 07:47 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

^ Don't know about legal action, but the engine builder should definitely bear some of the burden with a rebuild. I would go after whomever built the motor.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Vick781

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This sucks, sorry to hear that bro

Quick Reply: My APS Extreme TT with built motor story...