Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My APS Extreme TT with built motor story...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 06:58 AM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitrouz
It's really a lot of money. 6 figures. You can buy a house in some places.

Hobbies are just not cheap if you look back at them. It's all about the experience.

Even though this one didn't go as planned, I along with others know that you'll do something better on your next venture.

Sorry, and good luck on the next one.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:26 AM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a built z motor, it has 1800 miles on it and it running fine so far.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:54 AM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I know how you feel. Ive got about 6 figures in mine too and its been down for almost two years. You are so far into it you think that you might as well go a little farther and finish but when do you stop too.

I would think you could rebuild your shortblock for not much and get back up and running and be done with it.

Last edited by meatbag; 12-20-2006 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:55 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a question: What was the break-in procedure, (including boost, mileage, RPM, oil changes/type of oil)? Did it consume oil, during break-in? If so, how much and how often? Chrome rings are very hard, and the window for break-in is very short.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:14 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alex, I am really sorry to see this thread. I am sorry that something went wrong with the machining process....this is definately a first that I am aware of. The good news, is that if you decide to move forward, Sam and his team will take care of you, and all the work will be done in house.

And just for the record, we've distributed at least 100 sets of Arias ED pistons, and havent had any failures to date....even with amatuer tuners at the controls. I know it doesnt make this situation any better, but we use the Arias ED pistons, becuase are hands down the strongest pistons on the market.

If you need to talk, dont hesitate.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:44 AM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Thanks everyone for the support.

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Alex, I am really sorry to see this thread. I am sorry that something went wrong with the machining process....this is definately a first that I am aware of. The good news, is that if you decide to move forward, Sam and his team will take care of you, and all the work will be done in house.

And just for the record, we've distributed at least 100 sets of Arias ED pistons, and havent had any failures to date....even with amatuer tuners at the controls. I know it doesnt make this situation any better, but we use the Arias ED pistons, becuase are hands down the strongest pistons on the market.

If you need to talk, dont hesitate.
Sharif, it's not the pistons themselves. From Sam's diagnosis, it was the machining of the cylinder walls not being precise enough, for the rings not to seat properly.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:51 AM
ObiRedKenobi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say sleep on it. Its easier to look at things objectivly after a little time to think about a problem.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:12 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sharif, it's not the pistons themselves. From Sam's diagnosis, it was the machining of the cylinder walls not being precise enough, for the rings not to seat properly.
Alex - did Sharif, Sam, or other suggest the break-in procedure to follow? Having gone through this myself with chrome rings, they can not seat properly because of reasons you stated and/or because of the break-in procedure... How was the oil level during break-in? How long did it smoke during the first miles, and did it ever go away? As long as the heads are still in good condition, you could have it re-rung with cleaned up cylinder walls relatively cheaply compared to an entirely new engine.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:13 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by ObiRedKenobi
I say sleep on it. Its easier to look at things objectivly after a little time to think about a problem.

Dude definitely sleep on this. I know it hard, but try to just get away from all this car stuff (when you can, I know you have to make some phone calls right now) for a day or two so you can clearly see things. Whatever your decision is I wish you the best of luck. I told my mom about your situation over the phone, She's a real emotional lady, She started to cry . She does that all the time, She's like "I am going to church to pray for him" LOL. So there you have the higher power working for you. You'll be alright hang in there.

Luie
Old 12-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Enron Exec

Did you have a relaible way of monitoring your A/F for that 500 mile trip? If it was too rich, that might have washed out the rings and caused them to fail.

If it was indeed the machinist that improperly bored your cylinders... he needs to absorb some of the cost of rebuilding your motor weather you pick a new machinist or not.

An excellent machinst is KEY to these build motor projects. The fact that you didnt know the machinst that was working on your motor is like having surgury and never meeting the surgeon whos about to cut you open. Im sorry to hear about your lose. These things always hurt a community's moral.

Machinist > God > Garage/Tuner
Old 12-20-2006, 10:26 AM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Originally Posted by scotts300
Alex - did Sharif, Sam, or other suggest the break-in procedure to follow? Having gone through this myself with chrome rings, they can not seat properly because of reasons you stated and/or because of the break-in procedure... How was the oil level during break-in? How long did it smoke during the first miles, and did it ever go away? As long as the heads are still in good condition, you could have it re-rung with cleaned up cylinder walls relatively cheaply compared to an entirely new engine.
yea I broke it in according to Sam and Rob's procedures...kept it outta boost (max 2psi), and not go past 4500rpms.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:28 AM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Originally Posted by eagletanggreen
Dude definitely sleep on this. I know it hard, but try to just get away from all this car stuff (when you can, I know you have to make some phone calls right now) for a day or two so you can clearly see things. Whatever your decision is I wish you the best of luck. I told my mom about your situation over the phone, She's a real emotional lady, She started to cry . She does that all the time, She's like "I am going to church to pray for him" LOL. So there you have the higher power working for you. You'll be alright hang in there.

Luie
wow Luie...are you serious? I'm sure your mom is a terrific person. Please thank her for me. And thank you sir for your support.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:34 AM
rocks

If you have over $100,000 in your car im sure you can afford another 6k-9k$ engine. I have no idea how people put $100,000 in a z though. Seriously. I will have maybe 45,000 in mine total when i am done with it and i will have over 500hp, and thats including the price of a new z.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:44 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I agree. I just spoke to Sam, and he told me the whole story.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:47 AM
G352NV

Man I really dont know what to say. Whats Rob saying about this? From dealings with him in the past hes a stand up guy.
Bro dont sell it, hang in there! FINISH IT!!!! If you dont it will eat at you forever!
Old 12-20-2006, 11:53 AM
atar350

Originally Posted by rocks
If you have over $100,000 in your car im sure you can afford another 6k-9k$ engine. I have no idea how people put $100,000 in a z though. Seriously. I will have maybe 45,000 in mine total when i am done with it and i will have over 500hp, and thats including the price of a new z.
Have you seen how many "FS: custom volk wheels" threads nitrouz has posted?
Old 12-20-2006, 12:35 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rocks
Its easy when you are doing everything.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:00 PM
D350Z10

yo had a good run bro, i would buy a corvette z06 this time around the c6 and a couple bolt ons your already in the 10's
Old 12-20-2006, 01:26 PM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alex, I really don't know what to suggest to you man. I am in the same boat (blown built engine within the first month); spent over 6 figures and not sure if I can continue this madness. I know that most rational people will tell you to cut your losses, as have most of my non-car friends. BUT I guess you have to think about why you started down this path. Was it for the journey? The sense of accomplishment? OR the goal of having a car that will kick everyone else’s @$$..

Despite what some might say after spending this much, finding another $10 - 15k might not be easy, which I can very much understand. But think about what is going to make you happy: Having a stock trouble free super car, or having a car that is custom/ unique and is designed around your personality.

I don't think anyone can tell you what to do, but hopefully everyone’s opinions will help lead you towards your hearts path.

Good luck bro I know it is a very tough decision you have to make.
--B

Last edited by BamBam; 12-20-2006 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:57 PM
BlackSpec02

wow, very sorry to hear it. I would say that you finish it out.... but defintiely before you decide find out if the engine builder or whoever will take at least some of the hit...

If in the unfortunate case that you decide to cut her loose then im sure a lot of us will be looking for that parts for sale thread!

Quick Reply: My APS Extreme TT with built motor story...