Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My APS Extreme TT with built motor story...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 11:37 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitrouz
no it does not. That's why my car is still sitting there collecting dust.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:49 PM
barthelb
Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets all wait and find out what happened. If there is a defect, im sure someone will step up to the plate and offer some help. Whether it small or large, help is better than no help.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:21 PM
lww

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
well since a lot of the talk here is also financially i dont think that is a really good solution...

yes buy another car of course for DD...but a Z??? better to save the money instead of buying that second Z and put it on the motor.
I am sure alex has another car
When the cost of another Z doesn't move your personal financial meter any measureable amount, it's a perfectly fine solution...
Old 01-04-2007, 03:33 PM
G3po

Default Utec

Originally Posted by Sam@GTM
UTEC can not be used with the aps extreme fuel system, aps extreme uses peak and hold injectors ,witch uteck will not control and do you want to relay use maf scaling on 880 cc injectors at idle .
some corrections:
- the UTEC "does not" use MAF scaling, it directly drives the injectors.
- the UNIchip "does" use MAF scaling.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:36 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by G3po
some corrections:
Um I think he's saying the UTEC won't work because the UTEC cannot control the Peak and Hold Injectors the APS Extreme kit uses. He then asks if you would really want to use MAF scaling to control 880cc injectors at idle as if he is incredulous that you might. (I wouldn't do it either)
Old 01-04-2007, 03:44 PM
G3po

Default Utec , Unichip , Vpro.

I jsut wanted to clarify his statement, it was worded oddly.

IMO , from personal experience the UTEC is PITA to tune with, and lacks adequate load site resolution. I actualy went back to a Unichip til I have the beans to go Fcon or AEM. The Unichip controls 650cc s "kinda" adequately but far from optimally.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Sam@GTM
Sponsor
GT Motorsports

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by G3po
some corrections:
To this day the UTEC injector scaling does not work ,meaning you only scale injectors at idle via maf scaling .if you have tuned the uteck and went to the dashboard option you will see that maf voltage output is always different depending of how much scaling you have to do. now once the uteck goes into open loop ,then the uteck is controlling the injectors independently.to summer this up the uteck is a piggy back at idle and a standalone in open loop wide-open throttle .

Last edited by Sam@GTM; 01-04-2007 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Cannysage

Motor of my 'other car' was blown, about a year ago. It was a complicated story, but it costed me $3500. Drove around for about a month and blew again. They built it 2nd time around with no questions asked at no cost. The build had like a 6 month warranty.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Sam@GTM
Sponsor
GT Motorsports

Originally Posted by zman1910
I hate to see a well known shop being bashed like this for no reason. As far as I can remember ZCG and Rob have only had good things said about them. I see no reason to discredit them now...

Having said that I've always wondered if someone could screw up the tuning by accidently leaning it out(or by adjusting some other variable) thus causing your engine to ultimately fail. Hmmmm...it certainly makes you think. I'm not saying thats what happened, but I don't see why it couldn't. I mean all they would have to do is blame it on the engine builder, bc its not like a lot people are there when their cars are getting tuned. Maybe its a scam to get them to spend more money on their shop, especially when they know your loaded....

Anyways the point is the blame could go to a number of people. I don't know Rob or anyone at ZCarG, but I definitely think they are being treated unfairly, considering they are at least doing something for Nitrouz...
It never seizes to amaze me to see the comments and statements that people are making here. I don't really understand the motive behind it, either boredom or lack of common sense. You start your post with a reasonable statement saying, like so many people, that there is more fact and data yet to be collected to determine the exact cause of the failure, and when we do have the facts (and not a bunch of assumptions) we can say something. Well, yes we should wait to see exactly what's wrong with it to give Rob the chance to make it right.

Then I couldn't believe what I was reading. You had the audacity to suggest that there is dishonest act being committed, some kind of cover-up, that GTM is saying these things to milk 'loaded' Alex out of more money. This is ridiculous, totally out of line and uncalled for. I consider this kind of act nothing short of criminal. Even the tuning argument is ridiculous. The car is exhibiting a symptom that is not tuning-related at all, not to mention that the tuning is being done in an extremely competent and careful way.

People need to stop and really think before making statements against a shop's reputation and Alex's hard earned money. Why are people so eager to chop down knees without a second thought?
Old 01-05-2007, 03:56 AM
zman1910

I did not even state anywhere that this is what GTM did. In fact I went on to say that it is probably not what happened. It was more a question of..could it even happen? Keep in mind this perspective is from someone that doesn't know what is involved in tuning. Seems like a plausible scenario though considering not all shops will probably be as honest as you(and others) say you are.....

The only reason I said this is bc I remember a similar situation on here happening about a year ago to another forum member and at that point in time I was thinking exactly what I stated earlier. I apologize if you took such great offense to what I posted
Old 01-05-2007, 04:29 AM
dutchboy

Originally Posted by zman1910
I did not even state anywhere that this is what GTM did. In fact I went on to say that it is probably not what happened. It was more a question of..could it even happen? Keep in mind this perspective is from someone that doesn't know what is involved in tuning. Seems like a plausible scenario though considering not all shops will probably be as honest as you(and others) say you are.....

The only reason I said this is bc I remember a similar situation on here happening about a year ago to another forum member and at that point in time I was thinking exactly what I stated earlier. I apologize if you took such great offense to what I posted
Of course a bad tune could harm/blow a motor. I think that what Sam and Nitrouz are trying to say is that people should just stop implying and potentially placing blame where it does not yet belong. Your original post seemed to almost place blame toward GTM even though you probably didn't mean it that way.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:23 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by dutchboy
Of course a bad tune could harm/blow a motor. I think that what Sam and Nitrouz are trying to say is that people should just stop implying and potentially placing blame where it does not yet belong. Your original post seemed to almost place blame toward GTM even though you probably didn't mean it that way.
I agree 100%.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:17 PM
wtf no turbo

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/241426-aps-extreme-tt-kit-install.html seems like UTEC worked fine here unless im missing something.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:47 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by wtf no turbo
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241426 seems like UTEC worked fine here unless im missing something.
The UTEC can work....we just had some bizarre issues with the 06 car we tuned. Maybe it was unique to this vehicle...not really sure.

Without speaking for Sam, I think we both agree, that when you start pushing the envelope with these setups, a full standalone is a better approach. This doesnt mean, that it can't be done with the UTEC....we just dont recommend it. We've talked about the limited tuning resolution, and other issues, in some other threads, so I wont rehash it here.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:24 PM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
Man Alex,

I was in the middle of sanding when I got the horrible Text from you, saying the engine is dead... I honestly felt a bit sick to my stomach being one of the few people who had seen and sat in the car in its more recent completed form... I am truly sorry bud...

Having been in the car modding business for a while...here are my honest thoughts...

lets say you part off the car, sell what could be sold...and take a HUGE financial hit from what you have spent int he past...

you then turn and get something that as you say, starts off being fast, a Z06, a viper, a 911..etc etc... at first its great, its plenty fast and reliable...but...soon enough, you see enough of the same cars driving around to start wanting to make yours feel unique...and then its the same thing over again as you start to think about modding...

all the time, perhaps for the rest of your life, you will remeber with some distinction that, one time you came really close to having a dream machine, the kind of car that every car enthusiast dreams about having, the kind that magazines features, videos, and urban legends are made off. The kind of car that everyone claims their friend's friend's friend knew someone who had one, but you ALMOST acutally had it...but never did...

i would say that 100 percent of us car lovers dream about having the ultimate car, we dream about it at night, during the day, and anytime we look at a magazine feature... Be it a car with 600, 800 or 1000HP, or one that has a truly awesome and one of a kind stereo, or one that simply freezes people in their tracks as it drives by. (or in your case, all three)...we all have our dreams...but 99.9 percent of us would never ever see anyhting remotely close to achieving this perfection...

You truly came close enough to it to seeing it, touching it, and even driving it...I can only say that the bitterness of having been so close will resonate long after the immediate relief of selling off a costly and problematic project wears off.

In our hobby, waht do we spend money for? when it all comes down to it, we spend it for the smile on our faces... and from that perspective, it makes MUCH better sense for you to continue as well...

afterall, would you rather spend spend an extra 10-20k and gain a HUGE grin for a long time to come? or would you rather have spend 100k and gain nothing?

love to have a smoke with you now man...i have gone through similar things in the past (spend 6 months building what i thought would be a iasca winning car audio install, and had the car hit from behind, totaled, all system destroyed with perhaps 1 week worth of cableing to do)...and i say just chill right now, thoughts are running wild in your head, pushing you to say screw it one moment, and then go for it the next, give youself at least 48 hours and then you will be able to see things clearly...

we'll meet up soon...

i almost teared reading this..

You sir just got the spark back up my ***... i know it wasnt aimed at me but i read it like it was. i was also considering selling my car. im not as far as nitrouz is but im pretty damn close... i to have spent close to 100k on this car. its time to finish her!
Old 05-25-2007, 07:54 PM
Jason333
hi

Originally Posted by Sam@GTM
ridiculous.
This may be the rarest thing on the internet.....someone spelled this correctly