Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Bogging at 2500rpm in NEUTRAL

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 10:55 PM
bascelik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bogging at 2500rpm in NEUTRAL

I have a Greddy turbo at 6.5psi, installed and tuned by SGP Racing. So far, I've been breaking in the new clutch/flywheel/turbo (JWT/Greddy) but I had few runs to 5500rpm or so, with no problems. Mostly granny-driving though, to break in the turbo and clutch. I'm at 475 miles now, so...

Tonight, I got onto a piece of road that had 50mph speed limit, and I WOT to about 4500-5000rpm in 2nd, at which point the car lets go of boost and starts bogging (TCS was off, car did slip a bit). From that point on, till I got home, the car would not go over 2500ish rpm, even when flooring the gas pedal in neutral. The A/F gauge is reading off-the-scale rich, even at idle (which, by the way, is fluctuating every 10-15 seconds or so, between 500 and 1200 rpm).

Overall, the car drives ok as long as rpm is below 2500ish. Car will not exceed 2500rpm, even in neutral. Car idles irregular, but does not die at idle. A/F gauge shows very rich.

I'm guessing its something to do with the tune, but not sure what. Any ideas?
Old 12-21-2006, 11:45 PM
thawk408

Your car has gone into limp mode. I do not know a lot about limp mode tho, but it has been discussed before. I would suggest searching the forums.

I am %99 sure I am right....
Old 12-22-2006, 01:54 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would guess limp mode also . If you lost boost all of a sudden . Check the system out . Vacuum lines, IC pipes , couplings . Something could have popped off .
Old 12-22-2006, 06:08 AM
bascelik

Indeed, I'm thinking the same thing. I just have not been able to find a thread that lists "limp mode" kicking in at such an early RPM.

I'll be checking the car out towards the end of the day, and see if the behaviour is the same.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:11 AM
chimmike

something you did caused the MAF to flip out, which caused limp mode.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:19 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

take her back to SGP and get the FCON. I assume you're using the emanage???
Old 12-22-2006, 09:37 AM
bascelik

I drove the car, its back to "normal" now. So, it was ECU going "limp" indeed.

As far as FCON...
I went with SGP's recommendations and whatever price necessary to tune my Z. In short, car has FCON IS on it. In fact, I think Mark mentioned that he setup the sensor to not exceed 4.9V, thus intending to prevent what has occured. Perhaps it needs to be checked again...

Thenagain, this car has had a history of odd problems... The Borla exhaust on it is creaking on the passenger side (rear wheel area) whenever accelerating or decelerating via throttle modulation in gear; There is definite tire noise, indicative of possible future tire feathering issues; The original Stillen SC I had was eating the alternator/PS belt; and so on... I would not be surprised if I'm getting the odd behaviour now, with Greddy.

Thanks for the help, I'll be checking in with SGP after the holidays.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:08 AM
silver nismo

Originally Posted by bascelik
I have a Greddy turbo at 6.5psi, installed and tuned by SGP Racing. So far, I've been breaking in the new clutch/flywheel/turbo (JWT/Greddy) but I had few runs to 5500rpm or so, with no problems. Mostly granny-driving though, to break in the turbo and clutch. I'm at 475 miles now, so...

Tonight, I got onto a piece of road that had 50mph speed limit, and I WOT to about 4500-5000rpm in 2nd, at which point the car lets go of boost and starts bogging (TCS was off, car did slip a bit). From that point on, till I got home, the car would not go over 2500ish rpm, even when flooring the gas pedal in neutral. The A/F gauge is reading off-the-scale rich, even at idle (which, by the way, is fluctuating every 10-15 seconds or so, between 500 and 1200 rpm).

Overall, the car drives ok as long as rpm is below 2500ish. Car will not exceed 2500rpm, even in neutral. Car idles irregular, but does not die at idle. A/F gauge shows very rich.

I'm guessing its something to do with the tune, but not sure what. Any ideas?
Man do u have a wideband on ur car... i think u ran supper rich in fule and thats y u bogged i would suggest u install a wideband if u dont have 1 and if u do keep an eye on it and do another similler run...
Old 12-23-2006, 01:33 AM
icepig

Originally Posted by silver nismo
Man do u have a wideband on ur car... i think u ran supper rich in fule and thats y u bogged i would suggest u install a wideband if u dont have 1 and if u do keep an eye on it and do another similler run...
Is that seriously how you spell "similar"?
Old 12-23-2006, 02:42 AM
silver nismo

Originally Posted by icepig
well u have to excuse my humble knowledge ENGLISH is my third lang. and if i was in a hurry I appologise and will take more care spelling words.. Thank u you verey much i would love to see you trying to speek or write anything of my lang. or atleast try... back to the post..
Old 12-23-2006, 02:46 AM
silver nismo

Originally Posted by icepig
Ow and well done picking a nick name sounds like a good mach.... is that a real thread u started there (replacement tire help please) and what about the other threads u started... so lets not get started in here if u lag for knowledge so is other ppl. have a good day Sir....
Old 12-23-2006, 02:54 PM
AmateuRN

Disconnect the battery and turn on the headlights to drain everything [or leave it disconnected for 12 or so hours]. Plug it back up and try to start it. My car just went into a safe mode and thats how I got it out.

You ran rich because in limp mode all injectors spray all the time [your A/F read around 9.0 - 10.0?] It won't go over 2500RPM and some other dash lights should have come on [slip, brake, vdc, cel].
Old 12-23-2006, 05:30 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

It is not unusal for the ECU to switch to fail safe mode under boost. Whenever I boost from a standing start or from a low speed with the VDC on my Z goes into a fail safe mode. Whenever that happens, you need to reset the ECU by turning of your engine and restarting, sometimes you may need to do that 3 times before the system resets.

G

Old 12-24-2006, 04:22 PM
icepig

Originally Posted by silver nismo
well u have to excuse my humble knowledge ENGLISH is my third lang. and if i was in a hurry I appologise and will take more care spelling words.. Thank u you verey much i would love to see you trying to speek or write anything of my lang. or atleast try... back to the post..
What is your language?
Old 12-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Chas350Z

Chech your fueses and see if the fuel pump circuit is over loaded . You may be running with gravity flow.

I have the same set up _Greddy TT , built engine , etc from SGP I developed a problem with a fuse burning out with the new fuel pump and 850 injectors. Seems I had an early 03 track model that had a lot of the electrical going through one Fuse and the circuit with the new fuel pump lbecame over loaded . This was fixed on later 03 models by adding additional fueses. Sounds like an easy fix , however, with all the warning lights etc tied into the ECU readout , Mark just about had to rewire the car. Runs great now . Seems all turbo installs have a different story until the bugs are worked out . The V-Pro is great -a lot smoother than emanage with tubo setup. The e-manage was great before turbos but too many variables with turbo .I suggest not doing anything until Mark can look at the problem.He has seen about every problem.