Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbo or Super Charged? Pros and Cons of both

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 07:31 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Zilvia
wow i always thought it ran Roots or Twin Screw...........

wow
Sentry's right...

http://www.koenigsegg.com/thecars/ccx.asp?submenu=10

That is a sick car
Old 01-09-2007, 07:31 AM
reptile718

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It really all depends on what you want out of your ride. If you are looking for a daily driver, low maintenance and a lot of TQ then go with a S/C. If you want a weekend ride with lots of power and high HP then go Turbo. A Turbo has a lot more potential for making power but for me a S/C'ed Z is more fun to drive although I do like to ride in a Turbo Z occasionally and get my head slammed to the back of the seat, LOL.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:32 AM
helldorado

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're seriously going to invest in FI for your Z and are debating between the two, the best way to get informed and make an accurate decision is to read these two books by Corky Bell.

Best $75 you'll spend.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:35 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by reptile718
It really all depends on what you want out of your ride. If you are looking for a daily driver, low maintenance and a lot of TQ then go with a S/C. If you want a weekend ride with lots of power and high HP then go Turbo. A Turbo has a lot more potential for making power but for me a S/C'ed Z is more fun to drive although I do like to ride in a Turbo Z occasionally and get my head slammed to the back of the seat, LOL.
LOL. So possible belt slipping issues are low maintenance? A lot of TQ is relative. 280ft/lbs to the wheels may be a lot to you, weaksauce to others, overall though, I would never say a S/C provides a lot of TQ in comparison to a turbo. Instant (with a roots) TQ is more like it. <----not trying to turn this into WW32 Turbos vs S/C's. As far as a S/C being more fun to drive?! Yeah so fun you wait for the powerband to hit and it never does. Oh $hit, here we go...
Old 01-09-2007, 07:37 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Im sorry to hear that
why, not fast enough for you?
Old 01-09-2007, 07:40 AM
sentry65
the burninator

LOL. So possible belt slipping issues are low maintenance? A lot of TQ is relative. 280ft/lbs to the wheels may be a lot to you, weaksauce to others, overall though, I would never say a S/C provides a lot of TQ in comparison to a turbo. Instant (with a roots) TQ is more like it. <----not trying to turn this into WW32 Turbos vs S/C's. As far as a S/C being more fun to drive?! Yeah so fun you wait for the powerband to hit and it never does. Oh $hit, here we go...
I don't think my powerband has been that awful. Here's my last dynochart, with no correction, just raw dynodynamics numbers when the engine is running warm/hot. Tq is around 372 on this dyno when hot, and 375 when cold. Dynojet numbers would be probably 4-6% higher

My belt was slipping though past 5500rpms on this run so I was making 10 psi instead of 12. So if I had a dynosheet that showed that, the tq curve would remain flat to redline and hp would probably hit around 450whp on this dynodynamics dyno...

I can only guess if I wasn't running an SSV manifold and then ran a better exhaust than my nismo, the tq would be even higher
I'm planning on doing the TIMROD belt reroute fix to eliminate the slipping so I don't have to tighten the belt so tight around the other pulleys
Attached Thumbnails Turbo or Super Charged? Pros and Cons of both-sentry65_vortech.jpg  

Last edited by sentry65; 01-09-2007 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:53 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by sentry65
why, not fast enough for you?
The S/C's dont make that car what it is, the weight, design, and gearing do. It would be plenty fast NA the S/C's are just a bonus. Imagine if it had turbo's it would only be sicker. BTW-this is the 134th time Ive seen your dyno chart
Old 01-09-2007, 07:56 AM
reptile718

No belt slipping issues for me. I have had my S/C for about 12k and just recently retightend them, took all of about 10min. Listen bud in no way am I putting down turbo so why do you have to **** talk? I was just stating my opinion from what I have researched, seen and driven. I have over 70k on my daily driven S/C'ed Z with 0 problems on a stock block, how many trannies have you gone through? Point is if you want to go all out turbo there is a price to pay. As stated before if you want a daily driver with a lot of TQ go for a S/C, maybe I should have rephrased that a lot of TQ down low and no lag go for a S/C, better? A Turbo will always make more power, its more efficient, tell me something I don't already know. I just don't recommend it for a daily driver unless you build up you engine. Things like that matter at a drag strip but if you track your Z Turbo might not always be your best choice. So why don't you go stir up some more drama in the F.I. vs MRC thread and stay out of this one
Old 01-09-2007, 07:58 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by reptile718
It really all depends on what you want out of your ride. If you are looking for a daily driver, low maintenance and a lot of TQ then go with a S/C.
The s/c kits for the VQ35 do not produce a lot of tq.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:59 AM
sentry65
the burninator

The S/C's dont make that car what it is, the weight, design, and gearing do. It would be plenty fast NA the S/C's are just a bonus. Imagine if it had turbo's it would only be sicker.
yeah I suppose their designers must be idiots and don't understand the meaning of the word fast. I mean, WTF were they thinking not putting a turbo on the car?

BTW-this is the 134th time Ive seen your dyno chart
this is the 2nd time I've posted it on this site, have you been looking at it a lot or something?

Originally Posted by Gman2004
The s/c kits for the VQ35 do not produce a lot of tq.
I guess 372-375 dynodynamics tq (390ish dynojet tq?) is only a decent amount of tq if it's on a turbo car
Old 01-09-2007, 08:09 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

reptile-What does a turbo have to do with transmissions? Funny how you get your panties in a bunch when somebody disagrees with you, grow up, we all dont want NA power at the cost of FI....

Sentry you know the point I was making. Im not saying that car needs any FI, all Im saying is you act like that car is what it is due to the S/C's and thats not the case.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:15 AM
sentry65
the burninator

I agree, it's a fast car to start, but why wouldn't they add a turbo or two instead of 2 centrifugal SC's of all things?

could have been a fitting/plumbing issue or a heat issue, or they weren't happy with how the powerband would have changed to have an already powerful car suddenly have a bunch more power after a brief lag. I know they said they decided against a Roots/twin screw blower because it had too much tq down low and was hard to drive. I'd imagine the same would be the same with a turbo - only even MORE torque, but in the midrange instead. That makes me think that they're thinking about more things than just maximum tq

Last edited by sentry65; 01-09-2007 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:20 AM
reptile718

reptile-What does a turbo have to do with transmissions? Funny how you get your panties in a bunch when somebody disagrees with you, grow up, we all dont want NA power at the cost of FI....

Sentry you know the point I was making. Im not saying that car needs any FI, all Im saying is you act like that car is what it is due to the S/C's and thats not the case.
Your kidding right? My whole point was about how big power comes with big responsibility, LOL Spider Man. If you go with a turbo setup there is more maintenance involved and certain components need to be upgraded or replaced. Your a perfect example, with the beast you have your blowing trannies left and right, its the truth. We don't have the strongest transmissions and with the power some ppl are trying to push the Z simply cant hang. Sounds like more of a headache then what I am willing to deal with. My goal is different then yours, I want something fun to drive daily or track occasionally. Hence my reason for going with a roots type S/C. If I recall correctly you started the whole Turbo vs. S/C thing which has been going since I first joined these boards. Don't get so bent out of shape.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

I was blowing tranny's NA man, thats not the power's fault at these levels its me, if it was our tranny's we'd have PLENTY of people on these forums with more power than me blowing them, most are not. I understand your point with the S/C, I just disagreed with the TQ statement and the fun to drive but like I originally said its all relative.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:28 AM
chimmike

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc

Turbo=more mantainence needed,

WTF? Since when? All I have done is change the friggin oil. I don't have a belt to worry about, or gears inside the s/c......

I hear this **** all the time, SINCE WHEN DO TURBOS REQUIRE MORE MAINTENANCE?
Old 01-09-2007, 08:35 AM
reptile718

I was blowing tranny's NA man, thats not the power's fault at these levels its me, if it was our tranny's we'd have PLENTY of people on these forums with more power than me blowing them, most are not. I understand your point with the S/C, I just disagreed with the TQ statement and the fun to drive but like I originally said its all relative.
So are you saying you don't know how to drive?

As far as I can remember our manual transmissions have been a problem since day one. Trouble shifting, gears sticking, grinding, bad synchros. And this is on a N/A Z. You say putting more power to them isn't going to make a difference?
Old 01-09-2007, 08:49 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Keep in mind the Stillen SC requires a new hood as well, so add ~$1k.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:50 AM
reptile718

Originally Posted by chimmike
WTF? Since when? All I have done is change the friggin oil. I don't have a belt to worry about, or gears inside the s/c......

I hear this **** all the time, SINCE WHEN DO TURBOS REQUIRE MORE MAINTENANCE?
SINCE THEY PUT MORE STRAIN ON YOUR ENGINE COMPONENTS. I recommend you use the search option on these boards, very helpful.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:53 AM
reptile718

Originally Posted by scotts300
Keep in mind the Stillen SC requires a new hood as well, so add ~$1k.
Also keep in mind that Stillen offers warranty on your engine and provides different hood options which are not as expensive then the 1k mentioned above and look better IMO. Just talking from experience
Old 01-09-2007, 08:55 AM
Nismo 350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sentry65
that's just what typically has been done because MOST japanese engines are pretty damn small - 2 liters, 2.5 liters, 3 liters, 3.2 liters. Engines that small need ALL the help they can get.

The 350Z is one of japan's biggest engines in a sports car. You can stroke it to 4.24 Liters, which is almost as much liters as a V8 mustang GT only it's drastically more efficient when you consider even the base Z engine puts out as much peak hp as the mustang (less tq of course), but has more aggressive gearing and can rev quite a bit higher to pretty much compensate

There's lots of really fast cars with superchargers. Even a porsche GT3 has a 3.6 liter engine with a centrifugal SC and it's pretty fast. IMO what you want to look at is the end result.
Porshe 996 and 997 GT3 are NA cars... no blowers on either of them.

Quick Reply: Turbo or Super Charged? Pros and Cons of both