Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbo or Super Charged? Pros and Cons of both

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 09:09 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nismo 350z
Porshe 996 and 997 GT3 are NA cars... no blowers on either of them.
I know, I corrected it later saying it was that other company that puts out those modified GT3's

Originally Posted by reptile718
SINCE THEY PUT MORE STRAIN ON YOUR ENGINE COMPONENTS. I recommend you use the search option on these boards, very helpful.

yeah but they all put strain on the engine, in different ways and dependent on how the person drives
Old 01-09-2007, 09:19 AM
skidmarq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(sarcasm)it is really tough to judge the Pro-SC guys versus the Pro-turbo guys in this thread(end sarcasm)

LOL
Old 01-09-2007, 09:27 AM
chimmike

SINCE THEY PUT MORE STRAIN ON YOUR ENGINE COMPONENTS. I recommend you use the search option on these boards, very helpful.

boost is boost genius. turbo boost is no different from supercharger boost, it's all compressed air.

So again.......exactly HOW do turbos REQUIRE more maintenance? I fail to see or have any experience with that, after owning turbo cars for the past 4 years.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:27 AM
reptile718

I really like both but each serves different purpose IMO. One is better for one thing and one for the other, simple as that. I have several friends with Turbo Z's just wanted to do something a little different. Thinking outside the Turbo. Check out some pics taken of the Z @ the dragon a while back http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/ViewAlbum.aspx?a=326558 nothing like the whine of a s/c and the bov on a turbo singing in perfect harmony.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:28 AM
chimmike

Also keep in mind that Stillen offers warranty on your engine

o rly? then what about those people with blown motors that stillen isn't doing anything about?

and Stillen...as far as FI goes, is almost a joke on the VQ. You ned good mods and stage 3-4 to make over 300whp with it!
Old 01-09-2007, 09:30 AM
reptile718

Originally Posted by chimmike
boost is boost genius. turbo boost is no different from supercharger boost, it's all compressed air.

So again.......exactly HOW do turbos REQUIRE more maintenance? I fail to see or have any experience with that, after owning turbo cars for the past 4 years.
You are correct its how the compressed air enters and is used in the engine that makes the difference. Thanks for the compliment although I dont consider myself one.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:40 AM
reptile718

o rly? then what about those people with blown motors that stillen isn't doing anything about?

and Stillen...as far as FI goes, is almost a joke on the VQ. You ned good mods and stage 3-4 to make over 300whp with it!
A stage 3 or 4 alone makes over 300whp with no supporting mods actually cats and or headers make it loose power and boost. HP is really not what it was made for. Reliability, fun and check out that TQ curve. As far as people not getting their warranties granted I couldn't tell you, every company has guidelines which need to be followed, same could be said with car manufacturers. Plus the warranty is an extra item that needs to be purchased and used in conjunction with a stage 2 only. Like I said before guidelines, sometimes they are tricky.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:41 AM
sentry65
the burninator

I like turbos just fine and came pretty close to going with a twin turbo setup and think they're a good setup on the Z as well

I just don't like senseless bias where everything that is not _____ sucks when clearly there's fast cars out there with all types of FI.

The new Lotus Exige S is a fast car and uses a roots-type supercharger setup. So does the Ford GT and GT500, Ariel Atom, top fuel cars, etc

There's some fast turbo/twin turbo cars - the usual suspects

centrifugal superchargers typically aren't on a lot of production cars because of their gear noise at low rpm idles and for low daily driving rpms at WOT they don't put out much power. They're more common on lots of modified cars and personal race cars where the idea is you're going to be high up in the powerband anyway, or people that want to shape the powerband differently so the tq is relatively flat from mid-high rpms

nitrous typically doesn't come on anything but a modified car or purpose built race car (not going to argue if it's actually "FI" or not, who cares)

then there's lots of really fast NA cars with no FI at all and there's lots of setups for them as well - high reving, small liter engines with aggressive gearing. And then there's big liter, lower reving engines with weaker gearing and less shifting.

just pros and cons. I'm not a fan of extreme bias. It sucks when at the end of the day it's about going fast and enjoying a car

Last edited by sentry65; 01-09-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:44 AM
Kf3

Well guys thanks, I think...

anyway I've made my decision to go with an APS TT kit and built motor.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:45 AM
reptile718

Originally Posted by sentry65
I like turbos just fine and came pretty close to going with a twin turbo setup and think they're a good setup on the Z as well

I just don't like senseless bias where everything that is not _____ sucks when clearly there's fast cars out there with all types of FI.

The new Lotus Exige S is a fast car and uses a roots-type supercharger setup. So does the Ford GT and GT500, Ariel Atom, top fuel cars, etc

There's some fast turbo/twin turbo cars - the usual suspects

centrifugal superchargers typically aren't on a lot of production cars because of their gear noise at low rpm idles and for low daily driving rpms they don't but out much power. They're more common on lots of modified cars and personal race cars where the idea is you're going to be high up in the powerband anyway

nitrous typically doesn't come on anything but a modified car or purpose built race car (not going to argue if it's actually "FI" or not, who cares)

then there's lots of really fast NA cars with no FI at all

just pros and cons. I'm not a fan of extreme bias. It's just like the "no replacement for displacement" if it ain't got at least 5 liters, it sucks when at the end of the day it's about going fast and enjoying a car
I couldn't agree more, I am done with this thread plus its lunch time Need to fuel the tank for the love machine c-ya!
Old 01-09-2007, 09:48 AM
sentry65
the burninator

I tend to agree that the turbos are more hands free with mainenance as far as turning any wrenches, but more monitoring is needed. There's more parts to potentially go wrong which can lead to hurting the engine, like a boost controller possibly getting wrong info from a sensor, boost spikes, a wastegate malfunctioning, heat needs to be taken a little more seriously. Twin turbos have 2x as many turbos to monitor or fix if something bad DID happen.

Not saying any of those things will go wrong with most installs or anything, usually they don't and overall running a turbo will be less maintenance under the hood. But it's the potential of if something did go wrong, it can go very wrong

If something goes wrong with a SC like a belt issue or gearing issue, it usually it doesn't have the potential to hurt the actual engine

With any added power, you're going to have to monitor the car more often than stock

Last edited by sentry65; 01-09-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:52 AM
reptile718

Originally Posted by Kf3
Well guys thanks, I think...

anyway I've made my decision to go with an APS TT kit and built motor.
Good choice just make sure you find a reliable shop that has worked on them, GL
Old 01-09-2007, 10:05 AM
xjongsangx80

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
S/C=no lag, less power potential, parasitic (uses power to make power), easier to deal with, safer for engine

Turbo=lags, more power potential, uses exhaust gases to make power (non-parasitic), more mantainence needed, **** blows up when not done right

FYI, I found all this on one search. It took less than 5 minutes.
I don't know..but can't really say S/C is more reliable/safer and require less care than Turbo set-up..
I guess S/C is more suitable for Track use since it doesn't have lags..instant power at low RPM during cornering..
Old 01-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So are you saying you don't know how to drive?

As far as I can remember our manual transmissions have been a problem since day one. Trouble shifting, gears sticking, grinding, bad synchros. And this is on a N/A Z. You say putting more power to them isn't going to make a difference?
Yup I dont know how to drive Our synchro issues are well documented, Nobody knows the tranny's power limit of failure. For you to sit there and try to argue that my turbo's power caused the tranny to break is stupid as $hit-are you implying it wouldnt happen with a S/C? The last tranny was 100% my fault, but guess what?....the same thing would have happened with a S/C adding power and being flogged like I did (or eventually NA) so what was your point again Captain obvious?
Old 01-09-2007, 10:34 AM
reptile718

Originally Posted by Alberto
Yup I dont know how to drive Our synchro issues are well documented, Nobody knows the tranny's power limit of failure. For you to sit there and try to argue that my turbo's power caused the tranny to break is stupid as $hit-are you implying it wouldnt happen with a S/C? The last tranny was 100% my fault, but guess what?....the same thing would have happened with a S/C adding power and being flogged like I did (or eventually NA) so what was your point again Captain obvious?
Point is with more power comes a higher probability of failure from our already weak trannys. I used you as an example not saying it couldn't happen with a S/C. You catch on quick I see (sarcasm), welcome back. You seemed to be a little on the subject so I was just trying to put things in a way you would understand. Captain Obvious Away (fly's off)
Old 01-09-2007, 10:50 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

You think I dont know more power could potentially lead to stress and parts failures? If your so worried you shoulda stayed NA-oh wait you did the closest thing-you went Stillen
Old 01-09-2007, 11:03 AM
reptile718

Originally Posted by Alberto
You think I dont know more power could potentially lead to stress and parts failures? If your so worried you shoulda stayed NA-oh wait you did the closest thing-you went Stillen
Sadly your right. Originally I went all out N/A. It was fun but in the end I felt like the Z was laking just a little more. Since my Z is daily driven I scratched out a turbo form the start. Lag would be a pain around town, gas consumtion would increase & reliablity would be unknown? I wanted some get up and go that looked and sounded well without all the headache. I am not a street or drag racer so all that power high up would be useless. I do ocassionaly like to cruise with some other Z owners and have a good time. So your right I did choose the next best thing and so far no regrets
Old 01-09-2007, 11:04 AM
reptile718

Now let me enjoy my steak while watching your death of third tranny vid off your sig j/k
Old 01-09-2007, 11:10 AM
350Z_LEE

This has been covered numerous times, and some people are biased, but, I would figure out what you hope to accomplish with your car in terms of performance, then make a decision on what FI setup you want. TT kits are going to have the most potential, and S/C's are more lilnear and moderate. I will be happy with a mid to low 12 second Z as my daily driver, but later down the road after I purchase my new crib, I would build and go TT.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Now let me enjoy my steak while watching your death of third tranny vid off your sig j/k

Quick Reply: Turbo or Super Charged? Pros and Cons of both