Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Greddy tt-18 or 20g?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 02:03 PM
Bullitproof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greddy tt-18 or 20g?

Well boys and girls, it's about time for me to say bye bye to my aps st kit. if you arent familiar with my buildup here's a link. http://www.carv2.com/site/project_detail.cfm?id=443 As you can tell by trend of me adding parts, i'm a horsepower junkie. i'm planning on a built motor, with greddy twins. the question is, is it worth it to go with the 20g wheels on the greddy kit? I'm looking for about 550-575 on pump gas and whatever the block will handle on race fuel. also, does greddy sell the kit with a 20g wheel or do you have to outsource that part when you receive the kit? i live in northern DE and greddy east isn't too far from here. I've had the aps kit for like a year and even though it's a nice kit, i'll never see 600whp on the turbo. i thought about doing the external wastegate and built shortblock, but i think with the lower compression, it'll run out of steam. if anyone knows a person that would be interested in the kit for 4 stacks, (aps st kit, aps st exhaust, clutchmasters stage 3 exhaust) hit me up cuz i should be pulling the kit off in the next month or so. hopefully i can get it all together by the summer. Be easy.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:12 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for 550-575 i wouldn't bother upgrading the turbos.

greddy does not offer an upgrade themselves. I wrote Greddy about it, and they told me I was the FIRST PERSON TO ASK THEM about larger turbos (this was about 2 weeks ago). They said if there is enough demand, perhaps they will later release a larger kit.

I inquired to see if their TD06L2 turbo would bolt on, and they told me that it will not.

Lets all start nagging Greddy for 20g tuner kit!!!!! I would buy it for sure. I bet half their current kit sales would go to a 20g tuner kit just for the potential and the $$$ savings due to not havign to include an emanage or injectors.

If you do wish to upgrade the turbos, my favorite place to deal with is ForcedPerformance.com. They have a great reputation for rebuilt turbos in this terrible world of high failure rates on remanufactured turbochargers. They are a little more expensive, but I feel they are worth it.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:35 PM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

pm sent about your ST kit
Old 01-25-2007, 02:55 PM
EM-EFER

I bought the turbos used on here and sent them to SGP for the upgrade. I figured might as well buy the kit used since the turbos will get rebuilt either way.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:47 PM
Bullitproof

Originally Posted by phunk
for 550-575 i wouldn't bother upgrading the turbos.

greddy does not offer an upgrade themselves. I wrote Greddy about it, and they told me I was the FIRST PERSON TO ASK THEM about larger turbos (this was about 2 weeks ago). They said if there is enough demand, perhaps they will later release a larger kit.

I inquired to see if their TD06L2 turbo would bolt on, and they told me that it will not.

Lets all start nagging Greddy for 20g tuner kit!!!!! I would buy it for sure. I bet half their current kit sales would go to a 20g tuner kit just for the potential and the $$$ savings due to not havign to include an emanage or injectors.

If you do wish to upgrade the turbos, my favorite place to deal with is ForcedPerformance.com. They have a great reputation for rebuilt turbos in this terrible world of high failure rates on remanufactured turbochargers. They are a little more expensive, but I feel they are worth it.
I'm might have the guys at the shop give greddy a call this week. thanks for the info. i want my block to be able to hold 650whp, and i want to make sure the 18g's will be enough to at least get me over 600.(with the scotts stage 1 cams and race fuel)
Old 01-25-2007, 03:48 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you will be ok. I think the current greddy turbo kit should be able to do 700rwhp dynojet maybe more?
Old 01-25-2007, 04:15 PM
minus500
Banned

You can have the 18g's rebuilt with to 20g's or you can go for more power and have TD06-60-1s. This is worth about a 30% increase in airflow and should get you to where you need to be. This is what I did so, i'll let you know what kind of numbers I get back next month. I don't know if I would spend the extra $s on the 20g upgrade as its probably not that cost effective.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:20 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by minus500
You can have the 18g's rebuilt with to 20g's or you can go for more power and have TD06-60-1s. This is worth about a 30% increase in airflow and should get you to where you need to be. This is what I did so, i'll let you know what kind of numbers I get back next month. I don't know if I would spend the extra $s on the 20g upgrade as its probably not that cost effective.
The snails the kit comes with will easily get him that, no need to upgrade. BTW whp is doing your build/tuning?
Old 01-25-2007, 04:41 PM
minus500
Banned

John @ Rabbid Performance is doing the build and install. Im waiting to hear back from him about who is going to do the Vpro tune.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:21 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

does anyone have compressor effiecieny maps for the greddy turbos?
Old 01-25-2007, 05:29 PM
EM-EFER

Originally Posted by Bullitproof
I'm might have the guys at the shop give greddy a call this week. thanks for the info. i want my block to be able to hold 650whp, and i want to make sure the 18g's will be enough to at least get me over 600.(with the scotts stage 1 cams and race fuel)
CarV2's car did 630WHP on the stock greddy snails
Old 01-25-2007, 05:36 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadCam
does anyone have compressor effiecieny maps for the greddy turbos?

I dont think greddy releases that info
Old 01-25-2007, 05:40 PM
Bullitproof

Originally Posted by EM-EFER
CarV2's car did 630WHP on the stock greddy snails
yeah, youre right. its just getting close to decision time and i want to do it right without over doing it.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:15 AM
DaveFunction2ND
Banned

This is about the closest you will get. Mitsubishi Flow maps are notroiously hard to get a hold of.

This is not a great representation of the Greddy TD05-18G (its a squezzed 20G map). Based on what a Mitusbishi Master Distributor who rebuilt a set of turbos for us has told me the Greddy TD05-18G's are standard Mistubishi IHI Turbos but with a more specialized bearing package (I assume for the higher loads of a performance application). I forgot to ask him what the exhaust cm/squared was.

A little off topic - We will be sending a set out to the distibutor soon to see how large we can go with the current setup. TD05's can be mixed with 20G compressor wheels and potentially 25G compressor wheels. Also the turbine and compressor wheels can be clipped for additional power. Once we have more info on the current turbo sizing we will be able to tell more about highest HP potential. The cm/squared of the exhaust housing is what will ultimately control how big we can take it as it is not possible to change without a new exhaust housing which is not really feasable at this point.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:15 PM
TTRANK

Originally Posted by DaveFunction2ND
This is about the closest you will get. Mitsubishi Flow maps are notroiously hard to get a hold of.

This is not a great representation of the Greddy TD05-18G (its a squezzed 20G map). Based on what a Mitusbishi Master Distributor who rebuilt a set of turbos for us has told me the Greddy TD05-18G's are standard Mistubishi IHI Turbos but with a more specialized bearing package (I assume for the higher loads of a performance application). I forgot to ask him what the exhaust cm/squared was.

A little off topic - We will be sending a set out to the distibutor soon to see how large we can go with the current setup. TD05's can be mixed with 20G compressor wheels and potentially 25G compressor wheels. Also the turbine and compressor wheels can be clipped for additional power. Once we have more info on the current turbo sizing we will be able to tell more about highest HP potential. The cm/squared of the exhaust housing is what will ultimately control how big we can take it as it is not possible to change without a new exhaust housing which is not really feasable at this point.

Any update on this?
Old 04-05-2007, 01:51 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by TIMMAHH
Any update on this?
+1
Old 04-05-2007, 01:58 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i found this:
Attached Thumbnails Greddy tt-18 or 20g?-td05h-18g-jlspec.gif