Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 06:22 PM
sweettalker
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kajuraelai
<-- also part of the "Church automotive" experience ! great service btw 10/10. informed me on every step in the tuning process and helped me with my fuel leak situation as well as my misfire problem that prevented us getting it tuned. Did a very safe tune at 420 rwhp , car is going strong 5000 miles later. He didnt even charge me to keep my car there while i was working on it after work.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Can you share your experience with the misfire and the fuel leak situation? I am having similar issues and the car is leaning out on the higher RPMs. let me know or PM me if you want.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:09 PM
kajuraelai

actually it was an easy answer after two weeks of pulling my hair out. i was having a really bad misfire at cylinder 4 , i did everything from taking the plenum off over 10 times! and inspecting the injectors over and over again. the fuel leak was because it kept smelling like raw fuel from the exhaust and under the hood every time i stepped on the gas pedal at churchs.
shawn did the safe thing and let me fix this problem before we tried to tune it, keep in mind this was when we had to lean out the injectors on the SS box because with my year (04')and it being a roadster apparently osiris didnt have my map. so after we leaned it out and started the engine , we kept getting misfire cylinder 4 errors and raw fuel sputtering from the left tail pipe. after taking off the plenum and sending the 650 cc injectors to RC for inspecting and cleaning ( which came back 100% ok) because i thought it might be an injector. cylinder 4 actually had a ton of fuel which almost fouled out that plug ( the problem already ate one set) . So the next step was a compression test, because i thought it might be the seals. compression test came back healthier than ever.... which was a sign of relief since this would have cost me a ton!!!! In the end , OSIRIS sent the map, we leaned out the injectors through the ecu flash and voila!!!! no raw fuel smell, no raw fuel from the tail pipe and 100% safe to tune.
couple of things i did do in between that though was
1) replaced the seals around the injectors from RC
2) had to buy 1 replacement 650 cc injector because the top hat part was questionable.
3) shaved down the fuel rail because it was questionable that since the plenum was having a little shift ,it was suspected it actually wasn't sealing down.

well thats all i can remember, BTW can anyone recommend an oil cooler? i saw one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISSA...#ht_3336wt_911
any opinions?
Old 09-17-2009, 07:06 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OSIRIS sent the map, we leaned out the injectors through the ecu flash and voila!
^ so basically u tuned your car and then it was running properly? LOL
Old 09-17-2009, 10:44 AM
kajuraelai

yeah , i wanted to try to see if it would tune with the SS box but it had such a bad time scaling the injectors ... in the end i wanted to throw the damn thing across the room
Old 09-17-2009, 10:51 AM
sweettalker
Banned

So in the end all it was, was the tune/ECU

SSBOX = FAIL

OSIRIS = FTW
Old 09-17-2009, 12:57 PM
kajuraelai

in the end yeahp
350z= win
me= fail lol win in the end though
Old 09-18-2009, 05:55 AM
gohandbz88

Does anyone know where I can buy the cog belt locally or do I have to buy direct from vortech? If so, do you have a part no.? I live in Chicago and I still have the original cog pulley's (32/28) from the kit.

edited: Search is my friend and I found the answer.

Last edited by gohandbz88; 09-18-2009 at 06:38 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:35 AM
sweettalker
Banned

Originally Posted by gohandbz88
Does anyone know where I can buy the cog belt locally or do I have to buy direct from vortech? If so, do you have a part no.? I live in Chicago and I still have the original cog pulley's (32/28) from the kit.

edited: Search is my friend and I found the answer.
You are talking about the cog pulley belt and not the serpentine belt right? if so, Serpentine can be had if you search your local auto parts store. If you are talking about the cog pulley belt the smaller one with big ribs, then there is a company called Powers and Pumps I think out in florida. I ordered two of mine from there. Always good to have a spare. Shipping is ridiculous for a small belt so you would probably benefit if you order more than 1 at a time.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:52 AM
alltel350z

I'm new to the vortech. On the car I just bought which has a vortech already is only getting 3psi at 5500. The belts seem tight I pulled the pipe off the intake side of the ic and did a boost leak test. I have a arm electronic gauge and it stayed @ 4 vacume. My boost gauge is t'd in from the front of the plenum. Never heard a leak. I even tried setting the bpv a little tighter. Any ideas?
Old 09-26-2009, 06:06 PM
alltel350z

Anyone
Old 09-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

3psi? at 5500 rpm? and no boost leak/belt slip?.. then something is seriously wrong with your blower..
Old 09-26-2009, 08:32 PM
alltel350z

Well when I was at wot one night it was at 6psi. No oil in the ic pipe. Would the belt make any noise? It squeals at start up. When I was checking for boostleaks I thought the aem electronic gauge would say something besides 4 vacume. When at idle its about 26 vacume.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:35 PM
Mr_pharmD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alltel350z
Well when I was at wot one night it was at 6psi. No oil in the ic pipe. Would the belt make any noise? It squeals at start up. When I was checking for boostleaks I thought the aem electronic gauge would say something besides 4 vacume. When at idle its about 26 vacume.
if it squeals then its loose.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:13 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alltel350z
you have to be at WOT to get max boost. if you are only giving it half throttle then you will see low boost. If it's the stock pulley then i think that is around 7-8psi (give or take) at WOT at redline so 3psi at 5800 if you aren't WOT is probably right. Boost gauges can also be off. Do a record on the SS box and run it to redline WOT and it should tell you what your max psi is. What you see at the SS box is what i would trust.

Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
if it squeals then its loose.
exactly, your belt is probably too loose if it squeals at startup. Look around the blower for black dust.....you probably have a good bulidup from the belt slipping if it is slipping. At high rpm you won't hear the belt slip, but it is still doing it.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:49 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Alltel350z,
It sounds ok to me, if you are runing stock pulley. Where is your bpv set at?
Old 09-27-2009, 06:19 AM
binder

Originally Posted by kajuraelai
yeah , i wanted to try to see if it would tune with the SS box but it had such a bad time scaling the injectors ... in the end i wanted to throw the damn thing across the room
you must have missed the part where the ss box only works up to 550cc injectors

unless you're using a t-trim there honestly is no reason for you to put those 650's in there. I don't know who recommended them to you but they cost you extra cash you didn't need to spend (with the injectors and the fact that you had to get a different fuel management).
Old 09-27-2009, 06:39 AM
alltel350z

Originally Posted by Chef-J
Alltel350z,
It sounds ok to me, if you are runing stock pulley. Where is your bpv set at?
Each time I checked I was at wot.
The prev owner said their is a smaller pulley. The bpv I turned it in a few times to see if it was opening to soon but same thing. I am afraid of getting the belt to tight. Thanks for the reply guys.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:51 AM
binder

you have to tighten the belts pretty tight.

first things first, go out with a tape measure and measure the diameter of that pulley. that will tell you what size you have.

the reason i thought you weren't WOT is because you said 5500. why are you stopping at 5500? take it all the way to redline.

the easiest way is to hook the laptop to the ss box and open your r4 software (if you have it) and do a record. It will record the boost pressure and you can see your peak without watching a gauge.

aftermarket gauges can be wrong. my gauge is almost 1 psi off of what my datalogger records.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:56 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Find a long road. Put in third gear in low speed/rpms, and floor it all the way. Let us know.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:11 AM
Mr_pharmD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Chef, how much of the screw on your BPV is showing? Do u have it more out or more in? Mine is around the middle but I'm wondering if I need to change it especially if I'm seeing 17psi. What direction should I be turning? hehe

Last edited by Mr_pharmD; 09-27-2009 at 08:32 AM.

Quick Reply: vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions