Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 01:11 PM
fishclub

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by binder
The non-rev up new belt configuration requires a Gates 80 1/8" belt. It was posted many times that people use a 79.5" belt and the part number was even posted.

The 79.5" belt wouldn't even fit with my 3.12 pulley. it's a g35, i don't think that makes a difference but it was too short. I tried and 2 other mechanics tried to get it on there and no go. 80 1/8" works just fine for the 3.12 pulley though.

maybe the 79.5" is only needed for the 2.87 pulley then.
I used 79" with the 2.87 and GTM mod and fitted perfectly.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:49 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried searching, but couldn't find my answer:
What is the estimated amount of oil in the oil lines and blower?

Oh- for shts and giggles.

My car learned a new magic trick!
Two Oil Changes ago- Drained 3.5Quarts
Last nights Oil Change- Drained 7Quarts

The only thing I can think of. I was lazy last night and only jacked the driver's side up. I assume all of the oil from the blower drained out a little easier. But damn, 3.5 to 7 quarts with one oil change between..

Have JWT Spacer.
Oil cooler hasn't been installed since the end of last summer. Will go back on today.

Last edited by iStan; 05-26-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:20 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats a tiny -3an line with a brass restrictor nozzle at the inlet.

you didnt measure correctly one of those time as the blower doesnt collect any significant amount of oil
Old 05-26-2009, 04:33 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, the first measurement was putting the oil into the jug that the new oil came from. Read 3.5. The Second measurement was using a 7quart drain pan, which was less than 1cm from overflowing. I couldn't move the damn pan without it spilling.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:21 PM
eez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

removed

Last edited by eez; 06-29-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:24 AM
Infinite1

First off I would like to say AWESOME thread!! I've learned quite a bit about Vortech based on everyone's experience. Thanks Everyone!

Secondly, there are some lingering questions that I have:

1) Can I run the car with DW (Deastchwerks) Injectors on my Stock EMS? I plan to do the install (much like Chef-J) and drive it to my tuner (about 1hr away) I will be running a UTEC but i've read on their site the Map 0 won't work if I change my injectors. Any advise on the best course of action

2)Regarding the Walbro 255...Is it easy to install? (I have a 04 G35) Any special procedure that must be done to get it correct in one shot?

3) What type BOV or BPV is this? It sounds like an HKS? Can anybody confirm? Vid 1 http://videos.streetfire.net/video/V...35-a_87992.htm

Is this the Vortech BPV? Vid 2 http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=MVI_3387.flv

Thanks very much for your insight and input!
Old 07-18-2009, 09:44 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Infinite1
First off I would like to say AWESOME thread!! I've learned quite a bit about Vortech based on everyone's experience. Thanks Everyone!

Secondly, there are some lingering questions that I have:

1) Can I run the car with DW (Deastchwerks) Injectors on my Stock EMS? I plan to do the install (much like Chef-J) and drive it to my tuner (about 1hr away) I will be running a UTEC but i've read on their site the Map 0 won't work if I change my injectors. Any advise on the best course of action

What size of DW injectors? I have 440's and I drove it an hour home on the stock ecu. It should be fine if you aren't getting on it hard. Just stay out of boost and you shouldn't have problems. It will probably run rich but that's not going to kill an engine in 1 trip.

2)Regarding the Walbro 255...Is it easy to install? (I have a 04 G35) Any special procedure that must be done to get it correct in one shot?

If you have the mechanical know how to do the install then the walbro is easy. The actual installation is cake. The mods to the fuel pump are easy also but take your time when using the drill and you'll be fine.

3) What type BOV or BPV is this? It sounds like an HKS? Can anybody confirm? Vid 1 http://videos.streetfire.net/video/V...35-a_87992.htm

Sounds like a stock bypass valve. Can't really tell though.

Is this the Vortech BPV? Vid 2 http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=MVI_3387.flv

Again, sounds like a stock bypass valve, but it's hard to tell with all the noise from the wind.

Thanks very much for your insight and input!

comments made in red above
Old 07-20-2009, 12:00 AM
*My_350Gt*

removed
Old 07-20-2009, 09:56 AM
Infinite1

comments made in red above
Thanks for the input Binder! I plan to run 600cc DW injectors. Hopefully I can find a used UTEC with maps for a vortech and 600cc injectors then I won't have to worry as much (Longshot I know... )

No worries on not being able to tell he BOV/BPV. The one in Vid 1 sounds great! That's the what i'm looking for and LOUD...LOL.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:12 PM
binder

Originally Posted by Infinite1
Thanks for the input Binder! I plan to run 600cc DW injectors. Hopefully I can find a used UTEC with maps for a vortech and 600cc injectors then I won't have to worry as much (Longshot I know... )

No worries on not being able to tell he BOV/BPV. The one in Vid 1 sounds great! That's the what i'm looking for and LOUD...LOL.
there is a great deal on used utec with extras in the for sale.

if you need advice on dataloggers and wideband then pm me. I use innovate (thanks to Tim for recommending them) and they work awsome. It's confusing to figure out what you want to run and how to set it up but i've done all the hard work of finding all the settings out and can help you. I can also give you suggestions on what systems do what to get what you need. www.innovatemotorsports.com
Old 07-23-2009, 11:56 PM
serturbo1

Since the subject of naming that BOV/BPV is fairly recent can anybody tell me what this 350Z is running? Kind've sounds like a procharger actually, but I'm wondering if its a Vortech with a differet BPV. Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwW3S61NO00

edit: nvm I read the comments and its a procharger with a tial BOV..

Last edited by serturbo1; 07-24-2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:52 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by serturbo1
Since the subject of naming that BOV/BPV is fairly recent can anybody tell me what this 350Z is running? Kind've sounds like a procharger actually, but I'm wondering if its a Vortech with a differet BPV. Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwW3S61NO00

edit: nvm I read the comments and its a procharger with a tial BOV..
Yup. Tial BOV. You can run the Tial with a supercharger using the black spring which is rated for 12 in/hg of vacuum so it will remain open at idle.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:40 AM
binder

is it just me or did it sound like that BOV was fluttering pretty bad right as he shifted?
Old 07-24-2009, 06:10 AM
Infinite1

there is a great deal on used utec with extras in the for sale.

if you need advice on dataloggers and wideband then pm me. I use innovate (thanks to Tim for recommending them) and they work awsome. It's confusing to figure out what you want to run and how to set it up but i've done all the hard work of finding all the settings out and can help you. I can also give you suggestions on what systems do what to get what you need. www.innovatemotorsports.com
Yep I just saw those UTEC's and injectors in the marketplace...now I just have to figure out how to hide the purchase from my wife...LOL

I'll shoot you a PM about the Wideband A/F's. I've wondered if we really need that gauge. Since I will have Boost and Oil Pressure. I prefer not to have a triple gauge pod as I do road course and that third gauge blocks my vision a little bit. Also, since my power goals aren't that high (Up to 400 max).

Final question about the BOV/BPV issue. Can we use an HKS BOV with the Vortech? Thanks again for the advice!
Old 07-24-2009, 08:13 AM
binder

if you have a safe tune and aren't worried about suddenly going lean then you don't need a/f gauge.

I'm taking mine off actually. I have all the major things and i'm not worried about my tune just magically going off. if i see a drop in fuel pressure i'll get off the throttle. With as fast as that a/f changes and the rpm moves i don't think by the time i noticed a/f unsafe i would be able to save the motor anyways.

about the BOV, i have no idea. I'm fine with my stock BPV so i haven't looked into anything else to even know.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:57 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would a non-rev full kit (was installed on 2003 G35), work on a 2006 non-rev 5AT?
Old 07-26-2009, 04:00 PM
binder

Originally Posted by maXmood
would a non-rev full kit (was installed on 2003 G35), work on a 2006 non-rev 5AT?
isn't 2006 a rev-up motor?

If they are both non-rev up motors (vq35de) then it should work fine. I don't see what the tranny would change on the car. All the parts are in the front of the motor. I think you might have to worry about moving the tranny cooler but other than that it should be pretty much the same.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:19 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isn't 2006 a rev-up motor?

If they are both non-rev up motors (vq35de) then it should work fine. I don't see what the tranny would change on the car. All the parts are in the front of the motor. I think you might have to worry about moving the tranny cooler but other than that it should be pretty much the same.
2006 5AT are non-rev, while the 6MT are rev-ups.

i heard the pipes are different (in terms of length/size) between the G and Z kits, i'm not sure tho.

Last edited by maXmood; 07-26-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:25 PM
binder

Originally Posted by maXmood
2006 5AT are non-rev, while the 6MT are rev-ups.

i heard the pipes are different (in terms of length/size) between the G and Z kits, i'm not sure tho.
my kit came from a 350z and bolted right up to my g35. they were both 6mt though.

I wouldn't see why a different tranny would change distances on the intercooling pipe up front.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Naminos

Can some answer this question for me, I'm doin a a install my self and I've upgraded my EMS to a UTEC and a walbro with DW 440 injectors. Do I need to install the Vortech FMU at all for this or jut install the pump and a FPR?

Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions