Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Procharger Supercharger coming out for the 350z!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 11:30 PM
Mr B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by XBS
I think what he is trying to say is that our car wasnt made for FI and even if you successfully tune any FI kit to our engine by common since it wont last as long as if you kept it NA
But what's the fun in keeping your car stock if it's a sports car? I could understand if it was a suv or family car (didn't stop me ), but I would think that people who have this car have access to another car just in case something happens. *knocks on wood* Things can be replaced...
Old 04-25-2003, 05:45 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by XBS
I think what he is trying to say is that our car wasnt made for FI and even if you successfully tune any FI kit to our engine by common since it wont last as long as if you kept it NA
Thanks, someone gets it.

I guess I am one of the few here that doesn't have the spare 10-20K for a turbo plus a spare engine/second turbo for replacement.

As for modifying it because it is a sports car, newsflash IT IS already a sports car, how many SUV's drive and handle like the Z, give me a break.

Take it out where you really use it like a sports car like a racetrack (not 1/4 mile) and see what it is really like to drive this car and you will see that there are better mods to do to improve the performance, getting a turbo is not going to help you as the S2000 is right on your *** on the turns with 240 HP and like I said after 2 days of running it hard you will probably be ready for the replacement engine.

You people that install the kits will be their R&D!!
Old 04-25-2003, 06:47 AM
Ez350

Originally posted by XBS
Sure....but it's not like no one has ever SC'ed a VQ35 engine before. I have seen Supercharged Maxima's on the road that have 120K+ miles on them....

How long exactly did you want the car to last?
Old 04-25-2003, 09:31 AM
jak

I just got off the phone with the people at Accessible Technologies, Inc. and they indicated that the release date for the 350Z Procharger was scheduled sometime within the end of June or begining of July.

No other specs are availible at this time.

Jeff
Old 04-25-2003, 09:45 AM
350_Z

westpak,

You don't know a whole lot about FI, do you? Compression ratio is only 1 aspect of the whole mix. With proper fueling and timing 10.3:1 cr isn't that high. Sure a 9.5:1 would be way better to run 20lbs of boost, but how many people here are shooting for that.

I ran a Jackson Racing Supercharger on my Prelude (10.1:0 cr) for well over a year. I used a Hondata standalone with upgraded injectors. The setup was really nice and my engine didn't have any harm from it. I put the supercharger on at 50k and took it off at 70k. Needless to say it lasted longer than a weekend.

I know of lots of Imports that have been running FI for 2+ years. You have to realize that it is going to put some wear on your engine, but as long as it's done properly it should last a long time. Also if you want to be really sure about your setup you can always add forged internals and lower the compression a little that way.

I think the VQ engine will be fine for 9psi daily driven and 10-11psi at the track on race gas. Provided proper fuel and timing and added into the mix. It is all in tuning. Just keep in mind you are only a mis-shift away from damaging your egine on any given day.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:33 AM
mcduck

I guess I am one of the few here that doesn't have the spare 10-20K for a turbo plus a spare engine/second turbo for replacement.
Hmm... I probably can afford a second engine & turbo, but would hope I wouldn't have to.

I think 350_Z touches on some very important points. The key one I keep coming back to is the amount of boost any TT or SC will be putting on the motor.

I believe there will be at least a small reduction in engine life regardless of boost level, but if one does not go nuts with the boost, there is no reason not to believe 100K+ miles is possible with a Turbo or SC kit. 0.5 Bar (or 7.4psi) is not very much and could easily be done even on our 10.3 to 1 compression motor. I think where you will lots of motor replacements happening is with the Boost junkies who get an 8-9lb boost Turbo kit and try dialing it up to 18-20 without upgrading more parts.

Most importantly, if Procharger is offering a warranty (and if Greddy does the same), they are not going to push a product that breaks the motor. If they did, they would wind up paying out a lot of cash to cover the warranty claims.

My first choice is still to look for the GReddy TT kit, but I will keep an eye on Procharger as well. If it comes out earlier, has comparable power gains, and is cheaper... it may be tough to ignore.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:19 PM
wileecoyte

I think it will be fine. As long as you get enough fuel to the motor it'll be ok. Yes it puts a little more wear on the car, but if you want a lot more power then that's what you have to do. If you want to make less power and stay NA then that's fine too. And it should be able to hold up to a trackday as long as you don't go boost crazy, especially if they can put an air-air intercooler to cool things off. LS1 engines run 10.1 compression ratio and they use ALL sorts of FI, roots type SC's, Centrifugal, and now turbos too without probs.

Lastly, look at Comptech. They offer the same thing, a FACTORY WARRANTIED centif. supercharger for the S2000. If it was that harmful there is absolutely no way Honda would warranty it. Plus that motor is about as high strung as they come, high compression and crazy revs.

Like I said we'll be fine. If it was some hole-in-the-wall companies making them then there's no way I'd do it. But they're reputable companies that will stand by their product b/c if they don't word spreads like wildfire on these forums and they won't get business.

I'm really liking the idea of keeping the stock hood and strut bar though. I'd buy a new one if I had too but if I didn't that'd be decent. I was leaning towards Stillen but roots type SC installs look to be more finnicky. Maybe this will be the way to go. Hmmm
Old 04-25-2003, 12:38 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Got some news from Procharger

I called Procharger today. There Phone number is 913.338.2886

I talked to Sandy. she said they just posted information on the 350Z and that they are hoping to release it in the middle of June. As of now, they do not have specifics on PSI it will run or projected HP. I did keep pushing her for info and she did give me some general info based off of other SC they make for other cars. Here is that general info:

1. Cost: Most of their SC cost about $4000 - $5000 retail, not including instalation.
2. Warranty is 12 months with extended 2 more years for $49 (Yes, $49!)
3. They will have a list of shops that will do installation in your area.

I suggest you go to their website if you are interested and be put on their mailing list or you can call them like I did and be put on the mailing list that way. Read their webpage (http://www.procharger.com/SPORT_COMP..._compact.shtml). Good info. Seems like they are getting a 75-80% increase in HP on Hondas at 9-10 PSI and over 50% increase in HP at 5-6 PSI on other cars.

Jeff

Last edited by zland; 04-25-2003 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:04 PM
joeshow750

Just one thing to add for those that don't know and may have been wondering. The "warranty" is only for the supercharger and equipment in the kit. If you blow your engine at the recommended boost setting and completely correct setup the company WILL NOT pay for your engine or any damage that may have been caused by the kit.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:08 PM
jak

Hey zland,

I talked to Sandy today too. See my post above. I tried to pump her for more info and she told me possibly July release.

You must have called after me so with all of the phone calls they are getting maybe they are going to make it faster and up the release date.

By the way I think the company is Accessible Technologies, Inc. or ATI and the product they make is Procharger.

Jeff
Old 04-25-2003, 02:32 PM
austin350z

Hey, it sounds like this is a product that really might be good for a lot of people. I would just like to emphasize again that this product will come standard with fuel enhancements, an intercooler, and will come with a warranty. ATI is one of the few turbo/supercharger companies that I have heard really good things about. Example, I've heard from a lot of people that vortech doesn't make it's power claims... on the other hand, I've heard most people get more than what is claimed by ATI. Again, if you dial up the boost on this, you will blow your engine, but I think we've learned from the Greddy TT setup that our engine can sustain a decent amount of boost, and this setup for the 350z will probably be in the range of 7-9lbs of boost tops. Even so, if you look at the other cars they have boosted at these levels, they give incredible gains for the money. ATI has built their reputation on being the best at having a cool dense charge, and this is how they give great reliable gains at lower boost. I will definitely be watching this in the next couple months.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:52 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Wishful thinking

If we could safely get 7-9 PSI and get the same performance gain as they did with a Honda which got 75% to 80% increase in HP, we would be doing great.

75% increase of 287HP is 502 HP

80% increase of 287 HP is 516HP

Even if we got a 50% increase of 287HP we would get 430HP
Old 04-25-2003, 08:22 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Good lord! If we can get 400hp reliably, that would be 8.2lb/hp, you are looking at mid 12 sec car!!
Old 04-26-2003, 10:50 AM
Zrated

This is one product I will be keeping my eye on for sure. This company has a great reputation with the domestics already. The pricing of this kit will be very reasonable, and if it delivers the gains that the other ATI kits do I may deside to go this route over the turbo. IMWO it would be more reliable and easier to install, with similar gains for less $$$. The waiting for all these mods to pan out is painfull!
Old 04-26-2003, 08:39 PM
Ohio350z

Everyboy on the my350z website has been saying that the VQ is not built for FI. Are you sure? Seems to me Nissan designed the front of the car to accept an intercooler. When I look at the front of the Z there is so much space in back of the grill. Nissan has a tradition of adding a turbo to the Z in the past. My guess is Nissan knows the strength of the VQ and they are going to be adding a supercharger to the Z for the 2005 model year. My evidence for this goes back to InternetAbyss's interview with the Nissan Engineer that he posted on my350z. The engineer felt that eith Nismo or Nissan were going to intergrate a supercharger down the road. He said that with the Z's linnear power curve is best suited for a supercharger. I agree with him. I don't need 400 hp, but I would like to match the HP of the M3. A linear power cuvre kicking out 335-350 hp combined with the Z's handeling would be great. And it would not destroy the VQ engine or shorten its life.
Old 04-27-2003, 12:24 AM
Jason

westpak-

I don't see why you're trying to dis FI, when in reality, you don't have the first idea how well the car will hold up. I mean, so far you haven't given any actual reason you think the engine life will be shortened. All I've seen is blanket paranoia.

Look how well the 300ZX has held up, modified to run levels of boost far beyond the factory spec. Look at the Supras running 1,000 fine on stock internals still.

S2000s have been running Comptech superchargers for years now. Where are all the dead S2000s?

The 350Z is a solid engine: forged pistons, oil squirters, etc. If it has anyone downfall, it's the high compression ratio. All that means is that you'll need to stick conservative boost numbers, which you can still make lots of power at.

Engines don't blow up just because they are making lots of power. They also don't blow up because you are compressing air into the cyls. They will blow up if you have detonation, and if you car is properly tuned, N/A or FI, you don't have to worry too much about it.

This "holy war" comes up any time, on any board, anybody starts talking about FI. So, why not just wait and see?

Originally posted by westpak
Thanks, someone gets it.

As for modifying it because it is a sports car, newsflash IT IS already a sports car, how many SUV's drive and handle like the Z, give me a break.

Take it out where you really use it like a sports car like a racetrack (not 1/4 mile) and see what it is really like to drive this car and you will see that there are better mods to do to improve the performance, getting a turbo is not going to help you as the S2000 is right on your *** on the turns with 240 HP and like I said after 2 days of running it hard you will probably be ready for the replacement engine.

You people that install the kits will be their R&D!!
Old 04-27-2003, 12:33 AM
Jason

One more comment. Companies like Toyota have been selling supercharger upgrades that retain the full factory warranty of the vechicle for a long time.

Please, if you're going to dis a product - bring facts.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:13 AM
Michael-Dallas

Originally posted by Jason
I don't see why you're trying to dis FI, when in reality, you don't have the first idea how well the car will hold up. I mean, so far you haven't given any actual reason you think the engine life will be shortened. All I've seen is blanket paranoia.

Uh... adding boost to an engine (especially an NA motor) will add more stress, therefore, decrease engine life, period.

And I don't think westpak is trying to dis FI. He's trying to get you guys to use your 350 in the correct manner (i.e. you wouldn't use a drill to cut a 2x4, would you?). The 350's home is on a roadcourse and not at the 1/4 mile track. The 350 has a great deal of potential on the roadcourse and those who spend their money to make their 350 look pretty or make their 350 "fast" are completely missing out. $3k-5k can be easily used for 6-10 HPDE's.

I guarantee you that once you attend an HPDE, you'll be hooked and "mods" will seem less of a priority. And I should know considering I have a modified 300ZX Twin Turbo garage queen sitting in the garage next to my 350z track warrior. Guess which one was recently sold?

Look how well the 300ZX has held up, modified to run levels of boost far beyond the factory spec. Look at the Supras running 1,000 fine on stock internals still.
There are internal differences between the VG30DETT and VG30DE. And even still, running a VG30DETT or 2JZ-GTE w/ extreme boost levels repeatedly at HPDE's will take its toll. I personally know a few twin turbos that have been driven at HPDE's on a regular basis and their motors are now bases for coffee tables.

Engines don't blow up just because they are making lots of power. They also don't blow up because you are compressing air into the cyls. They will blow up if you have detonation, and if you car is properly tuned, N/A or FI, you don't have to worry too much about it.
Detonation and heat go hand in hand. An engine's risk of detonation increases as engine temps increase. Not only that, detonation causes a spike in engine temps which may cause a neverending cycle (unless you shut down the engine).

Pressure is directly proportional to temperature. As pressure increases, temperature increases. Therefore, adding boost increases pressure. Which increases temperature. Which increases the risk of detonation. Granted there are inexpensive and effective ways to lower that risk (i.e. colder spark plugs, decreasing base ignition timing, etc.), you're still driving a ticking time bomb.

I encourage you guys to see what your 350 is capable of at an HPDE. And after you've exceeded your 350's capability, then start w/ the upgrades. I guarantee you it will be cheaper in the long run.

Michael.
Old 04-27-2003, 01:11 PM
Z350Maniac

ok, I was gonna sit this one out and be quiet and just absorb info as usual, but after reading that last (loooooooong) post I just couldn't resist hopping into the ring.

To each their own. You're saying that people who mod the Z for a dragstrip are (basically) "fools"? That they're doing it "wrong"? Cause YOU conceive that the Z is meant ONLY for road course racing? YOU think that your opinion is the ONLY one?

W-R-O-N-G

I believe yours is ONE of the MANY opinions available to justify the reasons for modifying a Z. To each their own I say. I personally don't understand those "who spend their money to make their 350 look pretty" (<--- who are YOU to condescend others whose opinions/decisions differ from your own... "pretty"? ) BUT I still respect their decision to do so. I don't tell them they "are completely missing out"

You completely downplay the ENTIRE turbo theory. SURE pressure is directly proportionate to temp (all of us had highschool chemistry if I'm not mistaken) and with rising pressure, so rises temperature. But they still use turbos to make 13 second cars into 9-10 second cars (Lingenfelter, if I am not mistaken (before his tragic accident 8 months ago) piloted a 4 cylinder down the track to the tune of SEVEN SECONDS. Guess what he had under the hood guess how many records were broken that day )

now to cover my ***.

I'm not trying to flame ya or diss ya or whatever, I'm trying to open your eyes to the fact that although you may not agree with others opinions, but respect them none-the-less.
Old 04-27-2003, 01:45 PM
Jason

Originally posted by Michael-Dallas
Uh... adding boost to an engine (especially an NA motor) will add more stress, therefore, decrease engine life, period.
You have yet to define stress, aside from running the engine in detonation condition.

And I don't think westpak is trying to dis FI. He's trying to get you guys to use your 350 in the correct manner (i.e. you wouldn't use a drill to cut a 2x4, would you?).
I think that takes the award for the worst analogy of the day

The 350's home is on a roadcourse and not at the 1/4 mile track. The 350 has a great deal of potential on the roadcourse and those who spend their money to make their 350 look pretty or make their 350 "fast" are completely missing out. $3k-5k can be easily used for 6-10 HPDE's.
Huh? Says who? Actually, off the dealership lot it's home is the STREET.

Detonation and heat go hand in hand. An engine's risk of detonation increases as engine temps increase. Not only that, detonation causes a spike in engine temps which may cause a neverending cycle (unless you shut down the engine).
I already said that detonation will kill your engine, and I'm perfectly aware of what causes detonation. That doesn't mean however that a company can not produce a FI kit which does not cause detonation. It's important the company has sound engineering behind their product, and hopefully a good history.

And for crying out loud, it's not like the Z is the first NA car that a supercharger has been developed for.

Quick Reply: Procharger Supercharger coming out for the 350z!!!