Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Procharger Supercharger coming out for the 350z!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 05:28 PM
Boomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by joeshow750
I would imagine they have a pretty good idea from the start what would be a good impeller and housing size to match with a pulley, with their experience and all, but turbos/Centrifugal SC's are rated on how much HP they can support. So I'd imagine they pick a target hp based on the compression ratio and various other engine factors then choose a SC that can support it. Then "guess/test" their way to the proper pulley size or gear ratios.

I'm not too concerned with keeping the original hp tq curves, that's more of roots/rotor/positive displacement type thing... since they build boost early and maintain it, they will probably follow your original hp tq curves more closely. This will build boost more like a turbo. With detonation being such a big concern with our high CR engine, I would want the SC to run at an effecient level to the redline. This way it will pull to the redline and not run out of steam, so it won't just be blowing hot air into the cylinders and causing detonation (boost doesn't cause detonation, heat does). The adiabatic effeciency of centrifugal type SC is even better than a turbo (due to the fact that a turbo shares a commom shaft with the compressor side, so heat tranfer from the exhaust is a factor). I'd rather have the heat of more highly, and effeciently, compressed air, than ineffeciently compressed air. Also, once the SC becomes inefficient, then your chances of a heat soaked intercooler become greater. I want it to spool as early as it can while still meeting these criteria.

I don't know. I don't have enough experience with tuning SC's on a V-6 to make an educated guess. I would hope to see some boost by 3 grand though.

It is worth it IMO. Even if you don't plan on using those last few rpms, it's nice to have that cushion there to help defend against detonation.
Good answers. Thanks for helping out a newbie to S/Cs. Boomer
Old 05-04-2003, 06:51 PM
Soon2BMaxed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by zoasis
Sorry, not shaun

that is weird, this many guys from BS.

I wish 1.9, I don't think its possible with the 19" I-Forged Aero's.

Everyone needs to run in the SCCA autocross at Royals Stadium on May 18th, I'll be there for sure, hopefully with JIC coilovers and some smaller wheels and maybe a big brake package, intake and an exhaust :-)
just thought it was weird for someone to post up the exact time he ran on the same night as well

p.s. i've seen your Z around, looks hot!