Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Procharger Supercharger coming out for the 350z!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 11:49 AM
austin350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procharger Supercharger coming out for the 350z!!!

Hey, wasn't sure if anyone else had seen this, but for those of you who were looking to supercharge, and didn't feel like buying into stealin's crappy package.... Procharger is coming out with a kit for the 350z. Here is the page where it just says it's coming out soon.

http://www.procharger.com/SPORT_COMP..._compact.shtml

I know I shouldn't do this b/c I'll probably get some people badmouthing me for making predictions... but they're so fun, so here goes. On average these type of kits coming from Procharger usually add at least from 50% at the engine, so this would equate to a little over 350 rwhp if you assume 17% power loss through the drivetrain (average on the VQ from what I've seen). Basically all I'm saying is this is a good alternative for those of us who want reliable FI, but don't feel like buying crap from stealin and giving up our sway bar. No bad mouthing the turbos, they put out huge power, just not as reliable in my opinion, and harder to work on/install yourself.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:32 PM
Ricky
Banned

Never heard of them
Old 04-24-2003, 12:44 PM
westpak
SFZCC

I think that we all have to keep in mind what we want to do with our cars, and FI is an option that will shorten the life of the engine since it was not made for FI without doing more mods to the engine to be able to regain longevity. By the time you are done with all that is necessary to make a good FI application and fortify the engine you will probably be better off buying a car that is already FI hopefully a 2005/2006 Z??

If you just want to have the power to show off at lights and some 1/4 mile runs you will probably be OK, but I want to have real fun with this car which entails real driving and going on the track at which point the engine will probably last one weekend and you would be looking for a new one.

Just my 0.02, FI is not all it is cracked up to be as a modification you are better off with something that was envisioned as FI to begin with.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:05 PM
Ez350

Originally posted by Ricky
Never heard of them
http://www.procharger.com/race2002/r...2frameset.html

They appear to have most of their track record in the American-muscle arena. But the results look impressive.

I just got off the phone with them and the unit is going to mount in the space of the stock airbox. So, without having seen any dyno numbers, they already get three pluses in my book.

1. Get to keep my stock hood.
2. Get to keep my sway bar
3. They aren't Stillen.

And from my mod guys that I have talked to they are one of the most stable applications out there. Not always the tops in performance gains, but stable.

And their site claims that every application comes with all necessary part such as upgraded fuel hardware (pumps, injectors, etc.).

I'm not saying I'll buy, but I will most definitely look.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:12 PM
Mr B

Originally posted by Ez350

2. Get to keep my sway bar
Minor correction, but it's the strut bar you lose with the Stillen charger.

Back on topic... OOOOH PROCHARGER! Those things are for the crazy muscle cars... they're actually gonna make an application for the Z? That's very interesting.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:15 PM
Ez350

Originally posted by Mr B
but it's the strut bar you lose with the Stillen charger.
Yeah....that's not all you'll lose (money, races sanity).

Thanks for the correction.
Old 04-24-2003, 02:37 PM
webcarconnection

Hey Guys!
I have Procharger in my last car (97 Camaro SS) and let me tell you is a impressive mod, gave the car 175 whp w only 9 lbs of boost. is a quality item and have 3 years warranty. I keep an eye on this one.
Old 04-24-2003, 03:31 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Originally posted by webcarconnection
Hey Guys!
I have Procharger in my last car (97 Camaro SS) and let me tell you is a impressive mod, gave the car 175 whp w only 9 lbs of boost. is a quality item and have 3 years warranty. I keep an eye on this one.
How much was the total kit? This will give us an idea on how much the 350z will cost... hopefully under $4000.00
Old 04-24-2003, 03:51 PM
joeshow750

I'm definitely going to look into this.
but I want to have real fun with this car which entails real driving and going on the track at which point the engine will probably last one weekend and you would be looking for a new one.
Is this something you have experience with...with the VQ I mean?
Old 04-24-2003, 05:21 PM
lemansz

I have known about Procharger for quite some time and are fimilier with their kits. They have been around for quit awhile in the American Muscle car arena and have proven to be a very good product. Their kits are simple, straight forward, easy to install by your average back yard mechanic and product great results. O, and did I mention that they are normally priced very well compaired to other alternatives that produce the same type of power and in most cases even less in cost. I will definatly keep my eye's on this one, this may be the best bet going if they produce it.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:17 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by joeshow750
I'm definitely going to look into this.

Is this something you have experience with...with the VQ I mean?
No personal experience with the VQ but then again they don't either or any of these comapnies making turbos for our cars, are you going to trust them and turbo charge a 10.3 compression ratio car on a constant basis when it wasn't made to be like that.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:45 PM
joeshow750

No personal experience with the VQ but then again they don't either or any of these comapnies making turbos for our cars, are you going to trust them and turbo charge a 10.3 compression ratio car on a constant basis when it wasn't made to be like that.
Well, I guess I just have to trust them. I have heard people with opinions on both sides of the argument. I have my own opinion as a somewhat experienced and knowledgeable turbo-application-tuner. But what I would like to hear, and have not heard yet, is somebody with true "experience" with the VQ35. I believe these forums are a good source of information and I think that these companies manufacturing parts, including turbos, realize this, especially with the sheer volume of people utilizing these forums. This realization would lead any tuner in the business of making money to make high quality parts. So really, at this point, no, I don't trust them turbo/super charge my high-compression-ratio-engine, but they make the parts and I can only choose from them and "trust" their R&D. If their R&D turns out to be bad and engines blow up, well that will bad for the owners of the cars, but it will be just as bad for the manufacturers. The network of information that circulates to this site and others like it will "make or brake" many would-be buyers. Take Stillen or "Stealin" as they are referred to. I don't have any experience with them and don't really "know" if they are as bad as some at this site make them out to be, but why chance it.? So...these companies have as much of a vested interest in making a good kit/part as I do buying a good kit/part.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:22 PM
Mark-SGP-

Default Prochargers are VERY nice systems...

Guy's the procharger systems are very nice systems in reliablity, performance, WARRANTY, and they are big into Intercooling as well. I will definately keep an eye on this one and let everyone know how it comes out. Personal preferance, you cannot beat a very well designed TURBO set-up. Guess everyone will just have to wait and see what SGP comes up with

Mark
Old 04-24-2003, 07:32 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by joeshow750
Well, I guess I just have to trust them. .......and "trust" their R&D....... So...these companies have as much of a vested interest in making a good kit/part as I do buying a good kit/part.
Well many companies have good intentions but not always pan out, I just wanted to make sure people realize thet it is not just bolting on a couple turbos and drive happily ever after. If you are just going to dream of being Vin Deisel and race from red light to red light you will probably be OK, but if you are going to really run this car you will need much more, you will need to get oil cooler, intercooler and probably do something about the comp ratio and internals, just trusting is not enough for me, what is going to happen when I show up at their door with a blown up engine and large bill, I don't think they will just hand over a check for a new engine, just look at how Nissan is handling our problems and how much bitching is going on in this and other forums, is that getting any better action out of them? so to think that a small performance shop will behave any better is dreaming.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:44 PM
joeshow750

Guess everyone will just have to wait and see what SGP comes up with
So SGP is coming out with a kit too?
Old 04-24-2003, 08:28 PM
blascelles

Originally posted by westpak
I think that we all have to keep in mind what we want to do with our cars, and FI is an option that will shorten the life of the engine since it was not made for FI without doing more mods to the engine to be able to regain longevity. By the time you are done with all that is necessary to make a good FI application and fortify the engine you will probably be better off buying a car that is already FI hopefully a 2005/2006 Z??

If you just want to have the power to show off at lights and some 1/4 mile runs you will probably be OK, but I want to have real fun with this car which entails real driving and going on the track at which point the engine will probably last one weekend and you would be looking for a new one.

Just my 0.02, FI is not all it is cracked up to be as a modification you are better off with something that was envisioned as FI to begin with.
I can't believe what I'm reading here. A properly tuned car will last just as long as one that's N/A. FI is not what its cracked up to be? Are you mad? With such little displacement you can only go FI. Once you go boost you can never go back.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:24 PM
dollar99

could someone ask them about a G35 application? We need the extra power too, especially if we want to keep up with you Z's on the highway.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:41 PM
webcarconnection

Originally posted by Apexi350z
How much was the total kit? This will give us an idea on how much the 350z will cost... hopefully under $4000.00
I bougth the kit in Performance SS in $3,098.00 w/o Shipping
It came w everything and a big Air to Air Intercooler.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:47 PM
Rob Nance

Originally posted by webcarconnection
I bougth the kit in Performance SS in $3,098.00 w/o Shipping
It came w everything and a big Air to Air Intercooler.
Damn domestics, lol, so cheap for no other reason than it's the way it is, parts costs just as much! Man, if I had an LS1 that'd be a no-brainer for me!
Old 04-24-2003, 11:21 PM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think what he is trying to say is that our car wasnt made for FI and even if you successfully tune any FI kit to our engine by common since it wont last as long as if you kept it NA

Quick Reply: Procharger Supercharger coming out for the 350z!!!