Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics Leaking Oil Seal List

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 12:42 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98MODMTR
Can't issues arise when a line is kinked/bent/phucked up and it just simply be user error and not an issue from TN?
sure but that is not necessarily what is going on. I know that my line is fine. no kinks. (I'll probably replace the line next time its int he shop anyhow though). I know others have checked theirs as well and said the same. Is everyone lying? Like I said lots of finger pointing in both directions.

...and if the line that comes with the kit is crap then maybe TN ought to put a decent braided SS line in with the kit to help prevent any issues with that. It's not that expensive and at least new purchasers would be free of that potential issue.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:04 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by 35ounces
sure but that is not necessarily what is going on. I know that my line is fine. no kinks. (I'll probably replace the line next time its int he shop anyhow though). I know others have checked theirs as well and said the same. Is everyone lying? Like I said lots of finger pointing in both directions.

...and if the line that comes with the kit is crap then maybe TN ought to put a decent braided SS line in with the kit to help prevent any issues with that. It's not that expensive and at least new purchasers would be free of that potential issue.
Sure a lot of people's definition of "fine" may not be "fine". I know that a small kink in the hose can cause backup into the turbo and slight blowby. I think mine may have had a slight bend in it that flexed teh hose slightly and caused some oil to back up.

Sure, they could change it out. People could also buy one as well, because changing it in the kit probably would be a slight price increase anyway. Besides, just because something is optimal doesnt mean it's included. The included line works, granted it's VERY easy to screw up. People are buying spacers and oil pans they might as well get the hose at the same time and save themselves the trouble.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:24 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bullseye
Sorry. Perhaps I was too wordy... Go ahead and make a list. That's one way of doing it.

My point is: Why go to the trouble of collecting incomplete data [at best], in hit/miss piecemeal fashion, over many days, when Turbonetics has it all right now? If Turbonetics shared their data and their findings now, nobody would have to make a list. We might still disagree on the findings, but all the data would be there for all to see. They could provide pictures and post-mortem notes on every case. That would help, wouldn't it?

What color is the sky in your world? These turbo's have big time oil seal issues. It's not the install, the oil pan spacers or the underpants gnome. These seals are failing for some reason. For the love of christ some of us have had 3 and 4 turbo's.

JET
Old 06-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by JETPILOT

What color is the sky in your world? These turbo's have big time oil seal issues. It's not the install, the oil pan spacers or the underpants gnome. These seals are failing for some reason. For the love of christ some of us have had 3 and 4 turbo's.

JET
JET if you'd calm down long enough to read his post I really think he's trying to say the same thing(Except with a lot more words).
Old 06-02-2007, 03:36 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Originally Posted by taurran
Sure a lot of people's definition of "fine" may not be "fine". I know that a small kink in the hose can cause backup into the turbo and slight blowby. I think mine may have had a slight bend in it that flexed teh hose slightly and caused some oil to back up.

Sure, they could change it out. People could also buy one as well, because changing it in the kit probably would be a slight price increase anyway. Besides, just because something is optimal doesnt mean it's included. The included line works, granted it's VERY easy to screw up. People are buying spacers and oil pans they might as well get the hose at the same time and save themselves the trouble.
bah. No offense but you seem to want to have your cake and eat it too.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:22 PM
taurran

bah. No offense but you seem to want to have your cake and eat it too.
I'm not sure what you mean by that.

I think it would be great to have a SS line with the kit. However, if they did that and raised the price people would complain too.

Besides, that does nothing for those of us that already have it.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:50 PM
bullseye

Sure. You think they are gonna do that? I have land to sell you.
What I think doesn't matter. They will, or they will not, volunteer that data.

If they do not, then they should be more stoic about member efforts to gather data (lists), more accepting of endless conjectures about the root cause(s) of these smoking installations, and more constrained about directly engaging those members who ask these questions, no matter what their motives.

The ball is in their court. Let's see what they do with it...

By the way, I'm happy to discuss this issue with you, but I'm sure both of us are more interested about what Turbonetics has to say about it. Take care.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:52 PM
JETPILOT

You're a little late to the party. This has all been hashed out here already. Turbonetics isn't doing anything.

JET
Old 06-02-2007, 04:54 PM
Scythenc

add yet another one to the list blown seals on the turbo, even got oil into the intake tract and ruined my maf sensor. killed the engine to gonna be rebuilding over the coming months arias pistons n still deciding on what rods im gonna run. not putting in another turbonetics turbo thats for sure most likely swapping to a GT35 i want something that is gonna spool better and flow more than the turbonetics 60-1
Old 06-02-2007, 04:58 PM
redline350ZZ

Out the woodworks these people are coming...rawr

Is this like a groupbuy? Once we reach 10 we all get free turbos
Old 06-02-2007, 05:01 PM
JETPILOT

Angryness loves company!

JET
Old 06-02-2007, 05:04 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Just for the record, they took care of me so I'm not angry!
I did love the 3 weeks of downtime though.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:05 PM
bullseye

Originally Posted by Havok_RLS2
JET if you'd calm down long enough to read his post I really think he's trying to say the same thing(Except with a lot more words).
Havok is right. And I already apologized for the novelette. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Scythenc

Originally Posted by redline350ZZ
Out the woodworks these people are coming...rawr

Is this like a groupbuy? Once we reach 10 we all get free turbos
after my own experience and what ive read i dont think id take a free one even if they paid to install it to.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:14 PM
redline350ZZ

Originally Posted by Scythenc
after my own experience and what ive read i dont think id take a free one even if they paid to install it to.
lol, well my kit is removed and sitting in the garage till I figure out what I want to do. If a water-cooled option that gave me 500 WHP appeared I may consider it.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:19 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

you guys need to fix your damn list...

1. JETPILOT / 4 warranty returns / Issues never resolved
2.VQ36 TURBO/ 2 returns/ Smoke has come back even with new built bottom end.
3. Redline350zz/ expired warranty/ thermal failure/ 11K miles/ TN oil/ atleast 1 minute idle before shutdown
4. Gcoupeturbo/ expired warranty/ seals went bad on the turbo/had it rebuilt after i went TT/20k miles/ blew my motor
5. 35Ounces replaced turbo under warranty which resolved issue for now - tapped block
6. redman333 / turbo lasted about 5k miles, returned the turbo and that lasted about 6k miles and I have smoke again / Oil drain tapped in upper oil pan with TN supplied line and fitting.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Scythenc

Originally Posted by redline350ZZ
lol, well my kit is removed and sitting in the garage till I figure out what I want to do. If a water-cooled option that gave me 500 WHP appeared I may consider it.
yeah mine would be sitting in my garage right now to n would have just put on an intake or something so i could still drive the car had it not gotten to the motor to. so my entire car is gonna be sitting for prolly around 3 or 4 months while i figure out what to do with it all.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:33 PM
taurran

add yet another one to the list blown seals on the turbo, even got oil into the intake tract and ruined my maf sensor. killed the engine to gonna be rebuilding over the coming months arias pistons n still deciding on what rods im gonna run. not putting in another turbonetics turbo thats for sure most likely swapping to a GT35 i want something that is gonna spool better and flow more than the turbonetics 60-1
I definitely don't think that blowby in the intake tract would blow your motor...
Old 06-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Scythenc

Originally Posted by taurran
I definitely don't think that blowby in the intake tract would blow your motor...
i dont think so either but the compression test dont lie. so we'll see whats up once i get it stripped down.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:42 PM
taurran

i dont think so either but the compression test dont lie. so we'll see whats up once i get it stripped down.
If you're burning oil and you failed the compression test, it's a 99% probability that you had a cracked or broken piston ringland all along. That would account for a lot of smoke in the exhaust.

It has nothing to do with oil being in the combustion chamber. Oil is usually somewhat present in the combustion chamber anyway due to PCV blowby. It in no way harms the motor or makes engine failure more likely.

Quick Reply: Turbonetics Leaking Oil Seal List