Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech Cog Belt Broke - Where to buy replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 02:07 AM
DMK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Vortech Cog Belt Broke - Where to buy replacement?

The weather was nice and cold so, I decided on the way home to do a couple WOT runs. Car felt nice and strong. But, after coming to a couple stop lights, I could hear this weird thudding in the engine compartment. Thought it was just the usual Vortech rattle getting a little louder after a hard run, which it usually does. But, this got louder and louder and I drove home. When I got home around 2:30, I checked my belts in the dark and all I could tell was that it was coming from the blower area. Anyways, decided to take the cog belt off and as I took it off, I noticed that half the teeth were missing on the inside. I am assuming the missing teeth are all over my engine bay area somewhere and that this was the source of the problem. Guess that the belts get a little brittle over time? I've never ever read of someone breaking their cog belt though.

Now my main question: I know that Napa sells many Gates belts that Vortech carries, but do they carry the cog belts? Any other retail places that carry these cog belts?

Thanks guys.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:22 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No..you will have to order one from Vortech . You might want to check to see if you have oil in the IC pipe down by the BOV . My belt did the same thing a couple weeks ago . And right after wards , I had oil coming from the BOV , and the intake filter . I dont know what happened , but I heard a strange sound and got to my driveway only to find the belt spinning on the blower and jackshaft but no teeth on it . While putting the new one on , I saw the oil coming from both ends . And knew it was the seals

it was like the blower locked up for a second or something....????

Last edited by booger; 05-27-2007 at 02:26 AM.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:35 AM
DMK

Originally Posted by booger
No..you will have to order one from Vortech . You might want to check to see if you have oil in the IC pipe down by the BOV . My belt did the same thing a couple weeks ago . And right after wards , I had oil coming from the BOV , and the intake filter . I dont know what happened , but I heard a strange sound and got to my driveway only to find the belt spinning on the blower and jackshaft but no teeth on it . While putting the new one on , I saw the oil coming from both ends . And knew it was the seals

it was like the blower locked up for a second or something....????
Not sure what you mean when you say "locked up", but the car ran fine even with missing teeth on the way home. Crap, I really don't hope its the seals, blower doesn't really have that many miles on it. How would missing teeth be caused by oil seal failures? Regardless, I will definitely check out my intercooler piping tomorrow morning. And are you sure about not finding the cog belt locally at Napa or any other store? I am 150 miles from home...argh.

Btw, this is the cog belt on the standard kit. I don't know how you would have been able to see oil leaks coming from the filter and bov unless under the car.

Last edited by DMK; 05-27-2007 at 02:37 AM.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:00 AM
booger

I could be wrong on the belt . But Ive never heard of any where but Vortech to get the cog belt . I notice oil on my belly pan when looking down from inside the engine bay .
I have no idea what happened , and why the teeth would strip off . I'm guessing when I say the blower locked up for a second . Something caused it though .
Old 05-27-2007, 03:02 AM
DMK

Possibly old belt or belt failure? I just don't see the connection between stripped belt and bad oil seals, if the seals were the cause.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:09 AM
booger

Originally Posted by DMK
Possibly old belt or belt failure? I just don't see the connection between stripped belt and bad oil seals, if the seals were the cause.
I dont see a connection either . I just know it happened and the seals popped at the same time . I had seals go bad before and never squirt out as much oil in a short period of time . I was doing a logging run and had just got done checking every thing out . So I know the oil wasnt there before the run .

Thats the only reason I suggested you check for oil . Wanted to see if it happened to you .

Last edited by booger; 05-27-2007 at 03:12 AM.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:39 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can find the belt at any industrial parts place, there are lots of them online.

just grab the part number off hte belt and do a search for it.

its easy to find.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:00 AM
deisel

Go To Superchargersoiline.com
Old 05-27-2007, 11:01 AM
deisel

Superchargersonline
Old 05-27-2007, 01:18 PM
DMK

Ya, but I need to find a place locally that's open either today or tomorrow. I want to put it on before I drive home. I know I can drive home without it, if I baby the car, but I'd rather have it on.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:31 PM
MadBoost

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

motionindustries.com has them and there are like 20 of their facilities located in Cali. I just bought three of the 600-8mgt-20 cog belts and they were like $15/each.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:55 AM
DMK

Originally Posted by MadBoost
motionindustries.com has them and there are like 20 of their facilities located in Cali. I just bought three of the 600-8mgt-20 cog belts and they were like $15/each.
Thanks for the info. Found an office about 20 minutes from me. Just hope they are open tomorrow.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:35 AM
Gilley

Motion Industries is the place to go. They had to order mine, but it was only a day or two to get here. For the $15 price, which is about what I paid, I ordered two so I'll have a backup and still saved money over the cost of one at superchargersonline.com.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:11 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

After going threw 2 belts at forged just on the dyno for a few pulls @13psi.. and 1 belt 2 weeks ago.. I still havent figured out why they go so fast.. I tryed the loose belt thing=torn and now working on the tight belt and it seems to be fraying apart.

There has to be a better solution to these cheap quality belts from gates! Does anyone have any idea or anything to offer, vendors anyone, please! thanks!
Old 05-28-2007, 01:12 PM
DMK

Originally Posted by jonb7007
After going threw 2 belts at forged just on the dyno for a few pulls @13psi.. and 1 belt 2 weeks ago.. I still havent figured out why they go so fast.. I tryed the loose belt thing=torn and now working on the tight belt and it seems to be fraying apart.

There has to be a better solution to these cheap quality belts from gates! Does anyone have any idea or anything to offer, vendors anyone, please! thanks!
Maybe you need a wider belt for your power level?
Old 05-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Gilley

You can always try the Goodyear Gatorbacks.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:36 PM
Barzten1

Originally Posted by jonb7007

Holy crap 16psi on a Procharger. That thing must rip. Thats what I love about this place. A brother in need and we all chip in to help. I was wondering about the cog belts too. I replace mine every 6 months for the hell of it and even have 2 spare air filters. I keep the old belts for just in case. One of them is missing a good batch of teeth. I noticed the new ones squeel as they are too wide for some reason and it goes away when they wear down just enough. $15 for a new belt is a sweet deal. Thanks for the info.

Booger I've always had oil down by the oil pan also. I always though it was coming from one of the two blower feeds but thanks to your tip on going through the wheel well I ruled that out.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:43 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Originally Posted by DMK
Maybe you need a wider belt for your power level?

A wider belt would require a new pulley for the middle pulley which controls tension.. I thought that would make a difference but i doubt it..

Also, if they do make gatorbacks for the supercharger where would i even start to look for an order number??????? It would have to match the Gates
Old 05-28-2007, 07:25 PM
Gilley

The Gatorbacks that I have seen have the same number as the Gates/NAPA for the 93 inch belt. Pep Boys carries the Gatorbacks.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:56 PM
DMK

Originally Posted by Gilley
The Gatorbacks that I have seen have the same number as the Gates/NAPA for the 93 inch belt. Pep Boys carries the Gatorbacks.
But Pep Boys don't carry Cog Belts. I believe the main belt for prochargers are cog type belts as Vortechs are serpentine.

Quick Reply: Vortech Cog Belt Broke - Where to buy replacement?