Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Update on the Brian Crower Stroker kit.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on the Brian Crower Stroker kit.

Just wanted to update everyone on some issues we discovered with the Brian Crower stroker kit.
We have been working on the 86.4 mm stroker kit, the one that is supposed to be able to retain the oil squirters and have no clearance issues according to Brian Crower and his technitians. Well after assembling the crank and dropping in the rods, we found thus far that the main girdle needs to be clearanced for the rod bolts, they hit.. We only got a 10 degree rotation in one direction before the rod bolts hit and stopped rotation. We rotated 10 degrees the other direction and found that the pistons that were supposed to clear the oil squirters, do not clear the oil squirters.
So now were off to dissasemble the mains and come up with a fix for removing the oil squirters from the block, we never did it, so Im not sure if we should utilize a spacer to fill up the gap, or find a shorter bolt.
We really wish we had been advised this would be an issue prior to assembly. We did ask about this prior to purchase and were told ther was no machining like this needed.
The valves we purchased from him came with a little notation that they may be a bit tight in the guides and some light honing was needed, so we did so to make them fit perfect.The crank however came with ZERO instructions on what to remove or machine for clearance.
So basically we just did Brian Crowers R&D for him at a cost of $60 per hour that I pay my engine builder..
We contacted Brian Crower in regards to the issue, and we are awaiting his reply eagerly. If this is a common issue , he needs to be made aware of it and supply the required machining instructions with the kit.

Last edited by Julian@MRC; 06-03-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:28 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quick Question: Will the built engine with a SC or a TT past the emissions in Calif. I know the Vortech SC is carb Cert and by itself no problem, but what about the Stroker Kit or built engine?
Old 06-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by WSchli1672
Quick Question: Will the built engine with a SC or a TT past the emissions in Calif. I know the Vortech SC is carb Cert and by itself no problem, but what about the Stroker Kit or built engine?
I honestly do not know, we are in NJ.I dont know CA emmision laws.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by WSchli1672
Are the cali watch dogs going to look inside the block and see the sleeved cylinders or the aftermarket rods/pistons? The fuel system, CEL, aftermarket EMS, exhaust, etc will give you away before a built motor will
Old 06-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Wow, only one post and completely off topic...Thats a record I think..
Old 06-03-2007, 08:21 PM
rythex

So, from the machining and extra work that has to be done, would you say go with sleeves or this stroker kit?
(or is it too early to tell? heheh)

Kind of sucks that they either didn't do the necessary documentation or R&D for this kit.. I thought Crower was supposed to be a more reputable name for kits (at least fords and stuff? hah?)
Old 06-03-2007, 08:21 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't see why BC keeps telling people that the stroker kit will work without modifications and yet it requires machining to get it to work. Do they not know what they are manufacturing.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:18 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by meatbag
I don't see why BC keeps telling people that the stroker kit will work without modifications and yet it requires machining to get it to work. Do they not know what they are manufacturing.
I think there has just been no one to date to fully complete the install and run the kit..I had spoken to BC last week and he said that Tyson Beckford had one running for some time, but we have heard little details on that one. Last time I spoke to Tyson, his car had blown up about 3 times..He drive like a maniac..
Old 06-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by rythex
So, from the machining and extra work that has to be done, would you say go with sleeves or this stroker kit?
(or is it too early to tell? heheh)

Kind of sucks that they either didn't do the necessary documentation or R&D for this kit.. I thought Crower was supposed to be a more reputable name for kits (at least fords and stuff? hah?)
I would say, screw the stroker..Sleeve the motor, increase bore size and shoot for getting the lightest components you can find, with a Titanium valve train, and shoot for RPM instead of stroke..
Another option would be the GTM stroker, which has been completed and proven.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:16 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
I would say, screw the stroker..Sleeve the motor, increase bore size and shoot for getting the lightest components you can find, with a Titanium valve train, and shoot for RPM instead of stroke..

GTM Stroker kit FTW! I am doing with the GTM 3.8L on my build because I still wanted it to be a revver, hence I didn't opt for the 4.2l. Either one is a great choice, and as Julian stated this is a PROVEN kit in more than a FEW cars...

-George
GT Motorsports
Old 06-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Sam@GTM
Sponsor
GT Motorsports

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We will be introducing our new line of STROKER kit that is a direct drop in, this STROKER kit has a newly design crankshaft (87 mm stroke) that is about 5 found lighter than the factory crank,and it has a high speed oiling system .since our main goal with this crank is to rev to 8000 rpm .
Julian when you see this crank you are going to want it .and it will fit and you get to keep the oil squirters
we will have the press release by the end of this week and the test results of a running car with this STROKER kit .

stay tuned

Sam

GT MOTORSPORTS
Old 06-04-2007, 02:59 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by Sam@GTM
We will be introducing our new line of STROKER kit that is a direct drop in, this STROKER kit has a newly design crankshaft (87 mm stroke) that is about 5 found lighter than the factory crank,and it has a high speed oiling system .since our main goal with this crank is to rev to 8000 rpm .
Julian when you see this crank you are going to want it .and it will fit and you get to keep the oil squirters
we will have the press release by the end of this week and the test results of a running car with this STROKER kit .

stay tuned

Sam

GT MOTORSPORTS
Well if you hook it up for me, we will make it happen.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:57 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you want lighter, you should offset grind the stock crank. You'll gain stroke while removing weight from it. So far, the stock crank seems to be a very stout piece.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:24 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Here are some pictures of the clearance issues.Note in the first picture the rod bolt hits the aluminum main assembly. This piece needs to be notched about 30-45 thousandths. We dont know if other side will clear as we were unable to turn the crank in the other direction due to the piston hitting the oil squirters as seen in the second picture. Obviously removing the oil squirters is no big deal, but it would have been nice to be given the correct information from the manufacturer prior to assembling the main and rods...

Last edited by Mike Wazowski; 06-20-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:24 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, the girdle does have clearance issues. We notched our first one, before getting a new billet unit made to bolt on for added strength and to clear the stroker cranks.

We have them in stock if you want to save yourself some trouble and add support rather than grind it away
http://injectedperformance.com/ViewP...ID=7794&VID=36

In this pic, you can see the oem one notched to clear vs billet one:

And here it is installed:
Old 06-04-2007, 06:26 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by Hal@IP
Yes, the girdle does have clearance issues. We notched our first one, before getting a new billet unit made to bolt on for added strength and to clear the stroker cranks.

We have them in stock if you want to save yourself some trouble and add support rather than grind it away
http://injectedperformance.com/ViewP...ID=7794&VID=36

In this pic, you can see the oem one notched to clear vs billet one:

And here it is installed:
Thats pretty sweet..How much is it?
Old 06-04-2007, 06:36 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

$449 , check your PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:39 AM
NoLimit

Thumbs up

Good Thread!
Old 06-04-2007, 06:41 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

449 wow thats a lot of money for that.

cool that you are making it, i would rather grind the stock one down a bit if it is just a little bit that it is hitting.

appreciate your honesty julian, great to see some of us telling the truth instead of trying to BS everyone into buying stuff...
Old 06-04-2007, 06:56 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
449 wow thats a lot of money for that.

cool that you are making it, i would rather grind the stock one down a bit if it is just a little bit that it is hitting.

appreciate your honesty julian, great to see some of us telling the truth instead of trying to BS everyone into buying stuff...
It is also a strength/rigidity issue. In the 1000+ range the VQ is rumored to have some problems with flexing and letting the crank wander a bit - which leads to a quick death for bearings. We haven't run into that yet, but felt like that is a pretty critical piece to be grinding away if the stock unit already may flex a little.

Quick Reply: Update on the Brian Crower Stroker kit.