Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Engine is Toast !!!! Feel my Pain!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 09:45 AM
DomZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Jet, I will give you a call later today. At this point, i have no idea how your car consumed 5qts of oil in 300miles, all while not smoking, or running fine.

When customers do big projects with us, there is an unspoken rule of helping them out in some way, even if we are not at fault. I feel very bad about your situation, and would like to offer you a rebuild of your engine as needed. If this is something you are interested, we can talk about the details. But we would be happy to cover all the machining/assembly costs that we'll do in house, and ship it back to you, ready to drop back in. If the block or heads are toast, we'll get you new ones at no charge.

In the end, the most important thing is getting you back on the road quickly.

Your have been a longtime customer of mine, since back in the CP Racing days, and since Jeremy opened his shop in FL, you have gone to him. Rightfully so, as his shop is closer to you. But I dont want you to think I am unwilling to help you out...even though you didnt call me first.
That is by far the most classy statement made in this thread so far. Thumbs up for doing the right thing even though you may or may not have had absolutely nothing to do with what caused the problem.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:45 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol at people...
Old 06-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

we need a nutswinging smilie!!
Old 06-06-2007, 10:17 AM
baptist

Now that, is customer service.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:17 AM
DomZ

Old 06-06-2007, 10:19 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Old 06-06-2007, 10:26 AM
coachk
Banned

Originally Posted by Kenk2
Is AJ's car a G35?
AJ's car is a Brickyard Z....time for a group hug and everyone get back to work...j/k
Old 06-06-2007, 10:27 AM
abyss

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
we need a nutswinging smilie!!
Old 06-06-2007, 10:29 AM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JETPILOT

Well today Jeremy did a post start up inspection on my motor before dynoing it. He opened the oil fill cap and said my motor was smoking like a steam locomotive. The engine only has about 3000mi since the motor was installed and tuned by Sharif. Some odd things were found when installing my Greddy TT.

The first odd thing when my oil was drained there was only 1 quart in the motor. Since my last oil change to car only has about 400 mi on it. Obviously the oil was blowing by the piston rings and out the exhaust. This is a built motor with Arias ED piston rings. What the hell! I have had no audible detonation on my motor. I would have heard it like I heard it when it overboosted on the Turbonetics kit when I had it. The car never overboosted.

The second odd thing was that Jeremy had stated the tune was very very strange. Jeremy will tell you about the tune. He talked to Sam @ GTM, and they agree the tune was ultra conservative to the point of being "ODD" even for a stock motor. Sharif can explain the tune?

The tune corresponds to the power loss I have up top.

The third thing that was strange was that there was aluminum found in the oil pan. It could be from a piston. Sam will do the tear down and he will let us know exactly why the motor is dead and where the metal came from.

JET
Just for the record.... here is my original post. /\ Idid not bash anyone or make inflamatory comments. I wasn't baiting anyone. But the situation as it is lately there is some recent history between the shops which I have nothing to do with.

This all transpired at 10:30 PM last night. Sharif was closed. I knew Sam would have been on to talk but his shop was closed as well.

I flew this morning and was not avoiding anyone. I was sleeping. I will call you Sharif ASAP.

Oil.... The oil was changed apprx 600 mi ago. I got the mileage form Jeremy and figured it. I keep meticulous records. My car is so low I have to use a local oil change place with an open pit because the car can't get on a lift with the body kit. My friend is the manager at the local oil change place and he runs the place like a marine boot camp. He personally starts every car, verbally calls out to the tech "oil pressure" then inspects the motor for leaks and 3 people check the oil level before the car is started. I stood there and watched everything. No issues.

Reggie... The turbo seal is leaking. That's in addition to this situation. Don't see this as a way out. Not saying that you are. But the turbo definetly has issues. The turbo is sold and will shortly be on another car. We will see what happens.

Sharif..... That's a nice offer. I appreciate it very much. I paid Sam to build my motor before and I wouldn't change anything about that. He will build it again. If this was something that was my fault then I will be financially accountable for what happened. Will this offer extend to Sam doing the work? That's what I paid for in the first place and that's what I want now.

That injector in that cylinder will be sent back to Deatschwerks and inspected. If it leaned out that cylinder it would be indicitive on the spark plug and piston. Jeremy didn't say anything about the plug.

Thanks for all the sympathy and kind words.

JET
Old 06-06-2007, 10:30 AM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

dude you should of got a RSX-S no need for turbos with that thing..

ps.. sharif that is the first time i have ever seen a shop help out that much! props to you for being a stand up guy.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:35 AM
350Z_LEE

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
first of all, that customer, who you had "retuned" had me put back on the factory cats and change the exhaust after i installed the vortech. i road tested it and saw it was running richer as i expected and told him to come in for a retune to lean it out. then Z days happened and he decided to stop by your shop on the way back....

EDITED for respectfulness. everyone will see one day that you are a nestle quick marketing rep and nothing more, you have everyone with issues hide them and nothing becomes public. i am done with this...
Pretty unprofessional of you to make an "attempt" to degrade someone who runs a nice operation, and has put out several quality VQ's. Lots of chocolate milk drinkers on this forum too.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:38 AM
blk180sx

Just for the record.... here is my original post. /\ Idid not bash anyone or make inflamatory comments. I wasn't baiting anyone. But the situation as it is lately there is some recent history between the shops which I have nothing to do with.

This all transpired at 10:30 PM last night. Sharif was closed. I knew Sam would have been on to talk but his shop was closed as well.

I flew this morning and was not avoiding anyone. I was sleeping. I will call you Sharif ASAP.

Oil.... The oil was changed apprx 600 mi ago. I got the mileage form Jeremy and figured it. I keep meticulous records. My car is so low I have to use a local oil change place with an open pit because the car can't get on a lift with the body kit. My friend is the manager at the local oil change place and he runs the place like a marine boot camp. He personally starts every car, verbally calls out to the tech "oil pressure" then inspects the motor for leaks and 3 people check the oil level before the car is started. I stood there and watched everything. No issues.

Reggie... The turbo seal is leaking. That's in addition to this situation. Don't see this as a way out. Not saying that you are. But the turbo definetly has issues. The turbo is sold and will shortly be on another car. We will see what happens.

Sharif..... That's a nice offer. I appreciate it very much. I paid Sam to build my motor before and I wouldn't change anything about that. He will build it again. If this was something that was my fault then I will be financially accountable for what happened. Will this offer extend to Sam doing the work? That's what I paid for in the first place and that's what I want now.

That injector in that cylinder will be sent back to Deatschwerks and inspected. If it leaned out that cylinder it would be indicitive on the spark plug and piston. Jeremy didn't say anything about the plug.

JET

Jet,

Let me first say that no one is perfect. The thing that amazes me is that you FAIL to see that the root cause of you turbos failing is your poor oil drain. Why is this hard for you to understand?

So no I'm not looking at this situation as a way out. I'm just asking you to man up and accept responsibility.

Reggie Wynn
Sales Manager
Turbonetics Inc.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:41 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

plugs were all light brown/grey, all had less than 25 minutes on them total.

JET
Old 06-06-2007, 11:06 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by blk180sx
Jet,

Let me first say that no one is perfect. The thing that amazes me is that you FAIL to see that the root cause of you turbos failing is your poor oil drain. Why is this hard for you to understand?

So no I'm not looking at this situation as a way out. I'm just asking you to man up and accept responsibility.

Reggie Wynn
Sales Manager
Turbonetics Inc.
That's what happens when the oil drain is kinked and it has nowhere to go, it will come out the seals. Amazing after all this we're back to step one trying to explain the obvious...
Old 06-06-2007, 11:11 AM
roncfpz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by taurran
That's what happens when the oil drain is kinked and it has nowhere to go, it will come out the seals. Amazing after all this we're back to step one trying to explain the obvious...
Well if we eliminated all of the "entertainment value" of the thread they could probably determine the cause, and more importantly, a solution all that much faster. And THAT was the point of my original post Craig. I've done work with all the shops in question and ALL are great at what they do.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Z MANIA
psychedelic one

JET
Yikes. What does this mean? You feel that the turbo has problems, took it off and sold it? To someone here?
Old 06-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Jason333
hi

Originally Posted by Z MANIA
Yikes. What does this mean? You feel that the turbo has problems, took it off and sold it? To someone here?
If i remember right, there were some stipulations. I think he offered to have it rebuilt if it had an issue once installed.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Z MANIA
psychedelic one

I'm sure that's the case. I just got a shiver when I read that.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:25 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by jason333
If i remember right, there were some stipulations. I think he offered to have it rebuilt if it had an issue once installed.
Even if it weren't a seal issue to begin with I'd assume that it may have them now after oil backing up in the turbo and being forced out out of the seals this whole time.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:25 AM
failsafe306

"Scooby Doo
and the
Mystery Of JETPILOT'S Lost Oil"

Last edited by failsafe306; 06-06-2007 at 11:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Engine is Toast !!!! Feel my Pain!!