Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Poor cylinder compression on new built motor - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:09 AM
JoeDirtPharmD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hot damn - there she is

Sam called - no news to report as of yet - but was assured it was not a timing issue, not a turbo issue, not a backpressure issue. I just have to sit on my hands and wait patiently... couple more days I hope?

While she's there, Sam said there were a number of 'loose ends' that needed to be tied up on the car: not that I half-assed anything, but I was in a rush to get out there, so things such as unsecured wiring, my ext. WG knocking on the floorboard, etc. will be resolved while she's there.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:46 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeDirtPharmD
Hot damn - there she is

Sam called - no news to report as of yet - but was assured it was not a timing issue, not a turbo issue, not a backpressure issue. I just have to sit on my hands and wait patiently... couple more days I hope?

While she's there, Sam said there were a number of 'loose ends' that needed to be tied up on the car: not that I half-assed anything, but I was in a rush to get out there, so things such as unsecured wiring, my ext. WG knocking on the floorboard, etc. will be resolved while she's there.

from your pics and psoted pics on the local forums iknow you dont half-*** your work... so its funny that you actually did it but understandable for being in a rush.... keep us all in the loop man to whats going on...
Old 07-19-2007, 06:01 AM
THE TECH

Hope it all gets resolved. Since GTM has basically ruled out most of the problems, what is left?
Old 07-19-2007, 08:40 AM
SH Luciano

Wow Joe...sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope it's something cheap and easy to resolve!
Old 07-19-2007, 09:15 AM
TENGAI

Hot damn - there she is

Something I just thought about... What spring pressure are you running off of the tial wastegate? Also, did you weld cap the internal wastegate port and cut off the flap? Still thinking about this mysterious boost leak... If Sam says the turbo (and the rest of the kit is fine), then my only guess would be the boost sol. on the controller... Definitely keep us posted on the progress and subsiquent diagnosis.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:42 AM
JoeDirtPharmD

Originally Posted by TENGAI
Something I just thought about... What spring pressure are you running off of the tial wastegate? Also, did you weld cap the internal wastegate port and cut off the flap? Still thinking about this mysterious boost leak... If Sam says the turbo (and the rest of the kit is fine), then my only guess would be the boost sol. on the controller... Definitely keep us posted on the progress and subsiquent diagnosis.
The external WG is APS' using the segregated piping that deletes the internal wastegate, so that's not the issue. Additionally, it builds and holds boost fine (per the air pressure tap in the intake manifold), but something downstream is not using the increased pressure for efficient power output. So, we'll see...

The Tial 38mm WG is using a blue spring - I thought it was a 1 bar spring but Sam was able to turn the BC down to 10 psi and that car was holding at that pressure, so I couldn't tell you for certain now The BC appears to be in working condition, as you can turn the boost up to 16+ psi and it will hold there all day long. Loud, but functional
Old 07-19-2007, 10:23 AM
ht4

Originally Posted by failsafe306
Make sure that crappy flexible plastic intake tube isn't collapsing under boost.

Just throwing out ideas here...
I you you are just guessing, but that plastic tubing is awful hard -- I can't imagine it would collapse.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:25 PM
Infinus

Hey, i've been following along, any updates as to what is wrong?
Old 07-22-2007, 08:01 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by Infinus

I have been in contact with Sam and Don, nothing conclusive s of yet- but the issue is a valve/valves not sealing in cylinder #1, as to why, we'll know soon...bent valve?, freak machining error? burnt valve?...also maybe a poor ring seating in cylinder #1 compunding the problem...

from what Sam told me, it has been narrowed down to a mechanical engine issue, as to why, unknown at this time.

I'm curious to know as well for obvious reasons.

TODD
Old 07-23-2007, 05:55 AM
Nismo350ZRT

Why do some ppl keep saying boost leak, wastegate problem, etc. when he said he it's making boost??? Jeeze, if it were a boost problem, he wouldn't be making boost.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:17 PM
JoeDirtPharmD

Originally Posted by Infinus
The engine is being torn down at GTM and inspected/spec'd, so hopefully more answers will emerge by week's end...
Old 07-23-2007, 05:38 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Exclamation

The engine is being torn down at GTM and inspected/spec'd, so hopefully more answers will emerge by week's end...

Keep me updated... unfortunately, I'm betting it is a bent valve, per the assumption that it could be a machining error of the valve job here on our end, I just went through and checked 3 sets of heads that I have on the shelf, all valve clearances are within 1 thousandth of ideal and all valve seat surfaces are pristine, further, I had them all vacuum tested, all perfect, so I really do want to get to the bottom of your issues (as I'm sure you do as well)

good luck

TODD
Old 07-24-2007, 07:42 PM
Mr_pharmD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry to hear that Joe. Is the short block still saveable?
Old 07-25-2007, 04:26 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
I'm sorry to hear that Joe. Is the short block still saveable?
Shortblock should be fine as long as the rings didn't wash from a rich condition...
hopefully when Sam pulls the engine and takes off a cylinder head, he can conclusively figure out why the valve isnt sealing- a good little check is to shine a flashlight through intake port/exhaust port..dim the lights, and see if you can see any light coming through the valve sealing surface, inspecting the valve is sometimes difficult to see a minor bend (like if it kissed a piston over-revving--ex: going from 5th gear and downshifting to 2nd gear-mechanically over-revs an engine- valve spring can't pull the valve closed quick enough and the interference motor interferes )

if the valve stem is bent, spinning the valve on a lathe will show this...
again, Joe, keep me posted, as I told you in a pm, if this issue is due to our error, we will take care of it or you.

-TODD
Old 07-25-2007, 06:08 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'we will take care of it OR YOU'? is that a threat?
Old 07-25-2007, 06:33 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by Motormouth
'we will take care of it OR YOU'? is that a threat?

hahahaha..we'll give out a lethal dose of some pharmaceuticals

joking, we will of course take care of IT....
like the 350z mafia
Old 07-25-2007, 06:41 AM
IIQuickSilverII

lol

right on!... stuff does happen... its about someone supporting their work in the end what matters... this is great to see.

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 08-01-2007 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:16 PM
IIQuickSilverII

updates?.... kinda worried something still isnt right in here...
Old 07-31-2007, 02:42 PM
JoeDirtPharmD

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII

updates?.... kinda worried something still isnt right in here...
I have yet to see that movie - some of those '300' photochops are funny as hell...

No addt'l information as of yet, I have a call out to GTM so we'll see...
Old 07-31-2007, 06:12 PM
Cube

I have yet to see that movie
GOOOO BUY IT!!!!!!!!! Oh and the above picture, the only photo-chop is the word put in. Spoiler alert! King Leonidas really does get a sensual massage from a 7'13" (yes, seven-foot-THIRTEEN!) Persian in the movie.

Quick Reply: Poor cylinder compression on new built motor - what to do?