Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

How big of WG should I go with.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 02:49 PM
diwun67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by taurran
That makes no sense to me. How heavy is your flywheel, really? With most on the market, your revs barely will increase. The tilton 9lb flywheel is really the only exception I've seen.
I know The fidanza is 13.5 lbs
Old 06-11-2007, 02:58 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by diwun67
I know The fidanza is 13.5 lbs
That's around the same as the JWT I had. It didn't effect boost at all.

I have no idea why it would be making more boost in lower gears.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:46 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

craig who is tuning your setup?
Old 06-12-2007, 07:02 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by MI 35th
craig who is tuning your setup?
Jeremy @ Performance Factory
Old 06-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Weqster

wastegate size has little to do with HP and much more to do with boost pressure and turbo size.

Low boost on a large turbo requires a large gate, because the pressure differential in the turbine housing needs to be higher then the exit for the gate. Otherwise gas will choose to flow through the housing for periods of time, even when the gate is open. This causes boost creep!

Opp applies for large gates on small setups. Bigger isnt always better.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:19 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

as an example about what WG to run, I hope yah'all can look at this link

http://wotm.com/rywo98qu.html

what power is it making?

what WG and size is it running?

"."

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 06-12-2007 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeremy @ Performance Factory
Thats right!!

hehehe
Old 06-12-2007, 09:07 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
as an example about what WG to run, I hope yah'all can look at this link

http://wotm.com/rywo98qu.html

what power is it making?

what WG and size is it running?

"."
PM Tim from Speed Force and ask him what wastegate he was running on their 1300 WHP Supra. Better yet I'll just tell you: Turbonetics Newgen. So whats your point? The Tial 44 is working for that car. Craig is going with a 45mm Racegate or a Newgen obviously either will work.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:15 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
PM Tim from Speed Force and ask him what wastegate he was running on their 1300 WHP Supra. Better yet I'll just tell you: Turbonetics Newgen. So whats your point? The Tial 44 is working for that car. Craig is going with a 45mm Racegate or a Newgen obviously either will work.

no need to get defensive Robert because i didnt mention the newgen....my entire point was the size of the BOV using...i know the newer Tn WG will be way better than the "evolution" one and the Turbosmart is also a good design...so besides being a quality BOV( whic is not jsut a tial ovbiously) my whole point was to show that at that high whp #s a quality 44mm wg is suficient which is what the whole topic is about..what size

jsut as it shows the aem ems is good to handle the fuel at those power levels too but thats a different topic

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 06-12-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:20 PM
MIAPLAYA

no need to get defensive Robert....my entire point was the size of the BOV using...i know the newer Tn WG will be way better than the "evolution" one and the Turbosmart is also a good design...so besides being a quality BOV( whic is not jsut a tial ovbiously) my whole point was to show that at that high whp #s a quality 44mm wg is suficient which is what the whole topic if about..what size
No one is being definsive. My point is that any wastegate rated to control that kind of exhaust flow or "horsepower" level as the gate manufacturers typically rate them is going to be fine. It seems we are over this. I'm sure a Turbosmart, HKS, Greddy, Apexi Turbonetics, or Tial will all do the job if it is rated for the type of flow it will be regulating. We can go on and on and on on wastegate manufacturers. If someone truely wants to hear from the manufacturer what the gate is rated for they can contact them or check the web page.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:23 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA

No one is being definsive. My point is that any wastegate rated to control that kind of exhaust flow or "horsepower" level as the gate manufacturers typically rate them is going to be fine. It seems we are over this. I'm sure a Turbosmart, HKS, Greddy, Apexi Turbonetics, or Tial will all do the job if it is rated for the type of flow it will be regulating.

hahahahahaha
i've been waiting to see that icon being used.... =]

i agree man, i was agreeing with webster too(same thing) and that's why i said as n example to show that overkilling in size wasn't necessary =]

i think the OP got his answer a while back already

-peace
Old 06-12-2007, 09:25 PM
taurran

hahahahahaha
i've been waiting to see that icon being used.... =]

i agree man, i was agreeing with webster too(same thing) and that's why i said as n example to show that overkilling in size wasn't necessary =]

i think the OP got his answer a while back already

-peace
Actually if you were agreeing with Wegster then you'd be agreeing with what I said earlier in the thread. That at lower boost levels a larger diameter wastegate is your best bet. The OP is running on a stock motor (lower boost levels). This means a 44mm or larger would work great. I wouldn't run a smaller wastegate at higher boost levels either. For me, larger is always better.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:26 PM
IIQuickSilverII

i did... i think at that poing the topic started to shift towars bigger whp builds etc etc
Old 06-12-2007, 11:37 PM
Weqster

Actually if you were agreeing with Wegster then you'd be agreeing with what I said earlier in the thread. That at lower boost levels a larger diameter wastegate is your best bet. The OP is running on a stock motor (lower boost levels). This means a 44mm or larger would work great. I wouldn't run a smaller wastegate at higher boost levels either. For me, larger is always better.
Its actually not the point i was trying to make.

For example, the above supra setup uses a masssssssssssssssive turbo with massive A/R and massive boost.

Since massive boost is required, a medium sized gate is needed to control boost accratly. Try getting that turbo to produce 5-15psi with that small gate, and u will just creep creep creep.

you should size a gate based on turbo size and required PSI. Flow (HP) potential should be entirely thought of in regards to turbine size and downpipe! Wastegate is a mere pressure differential device. HP is irrelevant.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:00 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by Weqster
Its actually not the point i was trying to make.

For example, the above supra setup uses a masssssssssssssssive turbo with massive A/R and massive boost.

Since massive boost is required, a medium sized gate is needed to control boost accratly. Try getting that turbo to produce 5-15psi with that small gate, and u will just creep creep creep.

you should size a gate based on turbo size and required PSI. Flow (HP) potential should be entirely thought of in regards to turbine size and downpipe! Wastegate is a mere pressure differential device. HP is irrelevant.
I understand that, but typically in larger power situations you typically run into the same flow/turbine sizing/piping sizing concerns. But, in that same thought I believe its clear that a 44mm wastegate would be good sizing for this setup. You wouldn't want to go crazy with anything like a tial 60mm...

I think in this dicsussion, just like in many others, people are being a bit nitpicky when it comes to making a choice.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:30 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
Thats right!!

hehehe
Jeremy, In Your Honest Opinion. To run a semi-safe 400whp on stock block do I need a fuel return or injectors larger than 440cc.

Thanks
-Don
Old 06-13-2007, 06:35 AM
IIQuickSilverII

he'll probably say run 550cc injectors + walbro and no FR for the ~400whp range ....specially if pump gas i 93 for you(unlike my 91octane in AZ )

that my opinion though
Old 06-13-2007, 06:36 AM
MIAPLAYA

Just for reference heres some shots of a twin 60-1 setup on a 402 LS2 motor. Its running one 36mm Turbonetics Evolution per bank and it does so just fine.

http://danzioperformance.com/ls2_TT.asp

For general info its running twin 60-1 compressors and Stage 3 T3 turbines at 15-22 PSI...
Old 06-13-2007, 06:36 AM
IIQuickSilverII

I think in this dicsussion, just like in many others, people are being a bit nitpicky when it comes to making a choice.

correct...just as me and mia were discussing.. a a ~44mm WG that is top quality should be able to handle all we will throw at
Old 06-13-2007, 06:39 AM
IIQuickSilverII

NICE Robert!

ATI crank pulley FTW....i am getting one

Quick Reply: How big of WG should I go with.