Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

How big of WG should I go with.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 06:45 AM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Weqster
Its actually not the point i was trying to make.

For example, the above supra setup uses a masssssssssssssssive turbo with massive A/R and massive boost.

Since massive boost is required, a medium sized gate is needed to control boost accratly. Try getting that turbo to produce 5-15psi with that small gate, and u will just creep creep creep.

you should size a gate based on turbo size and required PSI. Flow (HP) potential should be entirely thought of in regards to turbine size and downpipe! Wastegate is a mere pressure differential device. HP is irrelevant.
One thing I haven't seen you mention is the ability of the gate to actually flow the amount of exhaust gas you want routed past the turbine section. I agree that turbine size, A/R, and pressure ratio are valid points to measure but by that definition alone you could run a 35mm gate on a large single turbo car making MASSIVE CFM on the exhaust side which isn't true. When the gate does open it needs to have the ability to actually handle the amount of exhaust gas you want bypassed. If it can't some of that gas is not going to have a choice but to continue through the turbine section. For that reason as well the actual flow rate of the wastegate also needs to be accounted for.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:58 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
One thing I haven't seen you mention is the ability of the gate to actually flow the amount of exhaust gas you want routed past the turbine section. I agree that turbine size, A/R, and pressure ratio are valid points to measure but by that definition alone you could run a 35mm gate on a large single turbo car making MASSIVE CFM on the exhaust side which isn't true. When the gate does open it needs to have the ability to actually handle the amount of exhaust gas you want bypassed. If it can't some of that gas is not going to have a choice but to continue through the turbine section. For that reason as well the actual flow rate of the wastegate also needs to be accounted for.
+1

Its not so much about the hp as the air you dont want. This is why I think TN, Tial, Turbosmart whatever, all do the same thing... I have no preference in branding, other than I get a large discount in Tial. But I do think In my opinion with a turbo as responsive as the TN stage V 60-1 a larger WG is a good idea. If I was making decision I wouldve included the new racegate with all 350Z kits. I understand there has to be a balance of R&D, Affordability, Usage of current products and a bunch other factors I dont see. But IMO thats how it wouldve gone down.

My Experiances Ive been working on Supras, MR2s, Celica GT4, most use 38mm or 44mm running a sc61 or similar turbo to make ~450-500 whp on pump gas. I had Tial 38 mm on my MR2 and TN 36mm the Tial held solid at 7psi, the TN creeped to 8.5psi, I used a Manual Boost controller set it to 10psi and never had a problem with my TN again. I traded a friend my tial for his tn plus $100 becuase they do sound different and I knew they would both work on my setup.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:46 PM
TENGAI

I don't think anyone was trying to turn this into a TN vs. all other WG discussion, but it seems to have gone that way... Sometimes I wish people would simply address the issue without getting into brand debates. Oh well. Good luck to the OP. Post up some numbers when it's all said and done
Old 06-14-2007, 03:09 PM
Mike@IOS
Sponsor
IOS Performance

Originally Posted by TENGAI
I don't think anyone was trying to turn this into a TN vs. all other WG discussion, but it seems to have gone that way... Sometimes I wish people would simply address the issue without getting into brand debates. Oh well. Good luck to the OP. Post up some numbers when it's all said and done

the problem is a 38mm from brand X is not the same as a 38mm from brand Y. A wastegate is essentially a valve and flow just like a flow in the head depends on
the shape of the chamber, lift on the valve, size/sensitivity of diaphragm, etc...