Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Carputer installed for logging/guages

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 12:57 PM
athenG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GGGRRRR Do I have to buy the Nav. Syst just for this
Old 06-13-2007, 01:52 PM
DomZ

Originally Posted by athenG
GGGRRRR Do I have to buy the Nav. Syst just for this
No, any old LCD will most likely work and probably work better from what I understand.

Originally Posted by KPierson
There is a place you can buy a $50 bracket to mount everything - http://store.mp3car.com/category_s/53.htm

I didn't go that route because A. I have lots of spare 'glass and B. I didn't like how that bracket stacked the compoents. I wanted everything to be laid out with no overlapping so that the most amount of heat could dissapait in the small area with little air movement.

If space isn't an issue they make all kinds of 'traditional' small frame cases. Again, I didn't want the thing to take up any space at all or be seen, so my options were limited.

As far as building the computer, there isn't much to it, and its pretty much idiot proof. You get the right parts, connect them togehter (everything plugs in) and you screw them down. Then comes the fun part of installing the software, which isn't difficult, but it is time consuming.
While that bracket is nice and resourceful, it can only be used on a G and there are still exposed computer parts. If you tried to put that in the Z spare tire well A.) the hatch glass cooks the whole hatch area so you would face extreme temps, B.) it is not properly insulated in the spare tire well so cold may be an issue as well, and C.) its a pain to remove it/unplug it when its back there. The glove box is not as vulnerable to outside temps as the hatch is and on the outside walls of the box tiny holes can be drilled if you're truly concerned about ventilation, with a 1.0 or 1.5GHZ processor running ultra-low voltage I don't think heat will be an issue no matter what.

I'm going to build my own in a clean mini-ITX case that shouldn't be a pain to install - I can fab up a mounting bracket (preferably painted black so it blends in with the glove box, or even covered in the factory "felt"?). It will look cool, it will perform well, and hopefully others will like it. Props on the good job building it and thanks for the idea I guess I'm just going to see how it ends up.

Last edited by DomZ; 06-13-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:19 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by DomZ
No, any old LCD will most likely work and probably work better from what I understand.

While that bracket is nice and resourceful, it can only be used on a G and there are still exposed computer parts. If you tried to put that in the Z spare tire well A.) the hatch glass cooks the whole hatch area so you would face extreme temps, B.) it is not properly insulated in the spare tire well so cold may be an issue as well, and C.) its a pain to remove it/unplug it when its back there. The glove box is not as vulnerable to outside temps as the hatch is and on the outside walls of the box tiny holes can be drilled if you're truly concerned about ventilation, with a 1.0 or 1.5GHZ processor running ultra-low voltage I don't think heat will be an issue no matter what.

I'm going to build my own in a clean mini-ITX case that shouldn't be a pain to install - I can fab up a mounting bracket (preferably painted black so it blends in with the glove box, or even covered in the factory "felt"?). It will look cool, it will perform well, and hopefully others will like it - I'm going to create another thread to get people's suggestions.
For my purposes (Titan install) I need something that fits under the front seats. There's way more room then in a Z or G as the factory amp is usually there. I don't really care for one for the Z as I don't plan on doing any further electronics like this in that car. I want one for the Titan for desert trips, movie watching, GPS, etc. I'm buying a Kyocera KR-1 in the next week or two to use my Verizon broadband card as a mobile access point in my truck. I have a Titan without the center plastic console (fold down middle bench seat in the front) and the router is going in that center console as it already has a 12volt accessory outlet in there for powering it and it fits like a glove. Just need a little hole for the WAP atenna but might try it without first. Bottom line I would be hard wiring the network connection for the Carputer to that and still have my and my wifes laptop to connect to the wireless network. Its REALLY nice when I go out for a 4 day desert trip and can still keep up with work.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:46 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check this link for custom carputers in purpose built carputer chasis.

http://www.customcarputers.com/index...3ef8a7c751a9ea

JET
Old 06-13-2007, 03:04 PM
DomZ

Wow that's a pretty neat place, cept they're a bit on the expensive side for parts - try mini-box.com
Old 06-13-2007, 04:14 PM
rocks

The Via will probably not die due to heat. The CPU is designed to run without a fan. Im sure as long as you have a fan blowing some air on it it would be fine. I have most all the hardware to make my car PC for the Z minus the touch screen and cables. I have a via1ghz with a pcmcia slot, 60gb laptop drive, 1gb generic ram. Should work fine for what im going to use it for. A crapload of MP3s and GPS. I will be mounting it behind the driver seat.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:24 PM
JETPILOT

Questions.....

1. Am I correct the 7" screens have RCA connectors?

2. Does the carputer have an RCA out?

3. If not how do I connect the carputer to my screen?

4. Go with a touch screen or without?

JET
Old 06-13-2007, 04:34 PM
Sisith

Most of the 7" screens use a VGA input just like their bigger brothers. Touchscreens are easier to use as you can run front ends on them that have buttons that do things you want. The monitor will also have RCA inputs for other devices like backup cameras.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Zshazz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be utterly shocked if you somehow were able to overheat the via chip. Thats a *very* energy efficient processor (and energy efficiency has a linear relationship with heat output). GREAT laptop **processors** consume 25 watts ... I think the ENTIRE Via board consumes 25 Watts UNDER FULL LOAD! As long as its running under 80 degrees C (or ~180 degrees F) the computer could actually outlive the car.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:47 PM
myG35zx

Whats the downside of using laptop in lieu of building a carputer? I have a sedan and have several year or so laptops on hand. Would the biggest issue be power? What about an iGo kit for that. Any suggestions. Also, who wants to install the software and get this working for me?
Old 07-09-2007, 08:31 PM
iamdigital

Few ideas guys:

1. portable PCs like the Samsung, Sony, or OQO (all bout the size of a PSP) and you can take them with you when yur done.

2. CAR PC I am building one into my double DIN area. I did one of these for my Jeep, WRX, and about 6 other cars. VIA makes procs down to the 600MHz level if yur worried about power/heat.

This setup will literally sit behind the LCD screen that will all fit into the factory Stereo area. I'll be using the PC for my stereo/NAV/tuning system, etc...

If anyone is interested I'll do a write up. I have spent a lot of time working on car specific systems and willing to share ideas help.

If your not worried about taking up a space in the glovebox check this page for some compact systems:

http://www.logicsupply.com/categorie...motive_systems

I may be able to get some good discount if anybody is interested as I have a working relationship with their VP of Sales.

Last edited by iamdigital; 07-09-2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:22 AM
athenG

/\ good idea, I'm really thinking of getting one but I need to find an LCD first coz I don't have navi
Old 07-10-2007, 07:40 AM
THE TECH

Cool setup.