Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

What can you do on stock heads, cams, greddy twins and a short block?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 07:29 AM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Power stops rising @ 5500 rpm likely because of the stock cams.

I don't know what exhaust your running but the Greddy downpipes and the TurboXS test pipes are likely a bottleneck in the exhasut setup. I'd like to see the RPM continue climbing to a minimum of 6250 RPM.

I think 500 whp can be achieved with a 3" exhaust and FP 3" downpipes on 93 octane and make power to approx 5900 RPM.

With a set of GTM turbo cams plus the above I think 550 whp would be attainable with 93 octane with a 6250 peak RPM.

The Greddy kit really does benefit greatly from cams.

JET
Old 07-05-2007, 08:41 AM
stormcrow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Power stops rising @ 5500 rpm likely because of the stock cams.

I don't know what exhaust your running but the Greddy downpipes and the TurboXS test pipes are likely a bottleneck in the exhasut setup. I'd like to see the RPM continue climbing to a minimum of 6250 RPM.

I think 500 whp can be achieved with a 3" exhaust and FP 3" downpipes on 93 octane and make power to approx 5900 RPM.

With a set of GTM turbo cams plus the above I think 550 whp would be attainable with 93 octane with a 6250 peak RPM.

The Greddy kit really does benefit greatly from cams.

JET
correct, the stock cams are keeping the power levels lower... all of what you stated is pretty much common knowledge now and is correct... but, even with my current setup, i have over 500whp on a DJ... (487 on DD in shootout mode)...

we're just testing to see what can be done without cams... granted, i could pull more power with downpipes and 3" exhaust...even without the cams... oh, and currently running Greddy EVO TT exhaust... so, 2 3/4"...
Old 07-05-2007, 08:54 AM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not the peak hp number I was refering to. It is the point in the RPM band where peak power is being made. I would not be focused on the peak number, but where in the powerband it is occuring.

My point of the stock cams is not that you are making less power,but that it is occuring at 5500rpm. The GTM turbo cams will move that peak power up and have a more desireable powerband. The fact that they do or do not make more power is irrelavent to my point.

I thought the Greddy TT was a 3" exhaust with 2.75" flanges. no?

JET
Old 07-05-2007, 09:56 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stormcrow's car is a sleeper. Greddy EvoTT 2.75 and TXS downipes. No dumps, cams, or 3 inch downpipes on this setup, and that is the reason for the earlier power peak. No doubt, with 3 inch downpipes, dumps, power would be made further in the band....cams would help as well.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:15 AM
stormcrow

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
It's not the peak hp number I was refering to. It is the point in the RPM band where peak power is being made. I would not be focused on the peak number, but where in the powerband it is occuring.

My point of the stock cams is not that you are making less power,but that it is occuring at 5500rpm. The GTM turbo cams will move that peak power up and have a more desireable powerband. The fact that they do or do not make more power is irrelavent to my point.

I thought the Greddy TT was a 3" exhaust with 2.75" flanges. no?

JET
i guess i misunderstood your post... but, i would still make more power with cams and yes, closer to redline... and the Greddy TT is 2.75" with a 2.5" bottleneck somewhere...
Old 07-05-2007, 04:52 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by stormcrow
i guess i misunderstood your post... but, i would still make more power with cams and yes, closer to redline... and the Greddy TT is 2.75" with a 2.5" bottleneck somewhere...
Nic power. I know someone that beat you tho.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:59 PM
stormcrow

Originally Posted by thawk408
yeah, some monkey-spank from tennessee, i think... but, his Z only has 15" rims... glad you made it home safe, bro...
Old 07-06-2007, 06:17 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by thawk408
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:10 AM
Bullitproof

is it safe running that kind of base fuel pressure on the street? or was this a gee-whiz dyno number?
Old 07-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by Bullitproof
is it safe running that kind of base fuel pressure on the street? or was this a gee-whiz dyno number?
58-60psi is not too high as a baseline. What exactly are you asking with this question?
Old 07-07-2007, 09:54 AM
booger

So did you do the DJ dyno ? What were the numbers ?
Old 07-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Bullitproof

what i am excactly asking was is this a number that was a 'big' number that will never be put down on the street. just asking the question. plenty of people( including myself in the past) will have their tuner push the limits of the setup on the dyno only to back off the power levels for the street. the reason i'm asking is because my similar setup is going together right now and i wanted to know what numbers i should expect.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Bullitproof

another reason i'm asking is because i previously thought 550c injectors and a walboro 255 would not be enough for 550+whp.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:33 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

what i am excactly asking was is this a number that was a 'big' number that will never be put down on the street. just asking the question. plenty of people( including myself in the past) will have their tuner push the limits of the setup on the dyno only to back off the power levels for the street. the reason i'm asking is because my similar setup is going together right now and i wanted to know what numbers i should expect.
i believe he probably has two maps.. the street map and the race gas map... so if you have a "spot" that most towns have.. where guys meet up and run every fri or so night.. you full up with race gas and then switch to that map
Old 07-07-2007, 10:34 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

another reason i'm asking is because i previously thought 550c injectors and a walboro 255 would not be enough for 550+whp.
thats a good point.. i know they said 440 injectors are good for 460 - 480 whp... so with 550's he is probably running close to 100% duty cycle on the injectors at around 560 / 580
Old 07-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Bullitproof

Originally Posted by doug
thats a good point.. i know they said 440 injectors are good for 460 - 480 whp... so with 550's he is probably running close to 100% duty cycle on the injectors at around 560 / 580
Wow.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Stormcrow.. I was wondering where you hit the dynojet?? Id like to hit that thang too.. Lemme know..
Old 07-07-2007, 10:54 AM
stormcrow

Originally Posted by booger
So did you do the DJ dyno ? What were the numbers ?
i took it to Top Speed in Alpharetta to put on their DJ, but they were total douches... i didn't get inside the door completely before they were asking me if i wanted to street race one of their clients... and then, of course, they had to start smearing my EMS and stating i should go with an AEM...how it was the best out...nothing better...blah, blah, blah...

when we finally got on the dyno, two of the pulls didn't get a proper tach signal and one showed 158rwhp with 203tq and the other showed 550rwhp with 1091tq! the final pull had a good tach signal because one of the guys who went with me was Devon from FP...(he wanted to get numbers on his Subie vs what he had on sharif's dyno)...and he was able to show them how to properly hook up the sensor... this pull did 561whp with 568tq...

what sux is that this was an uncorrected number and i had asked them to do an STD correction... it was around 95 degrees out and humidity was high... when i asked the lead douche (doug) to tell me the STD numbers, he just said "oh, about 585"...without going back out to the dyno to pull them up...

so, needless to say, i didn't get what i asked for with this dyno trip... i plan on doing it at a different place that actually has an idea about what they're doing on a dyno...
Old 07-07-2007, 10:56 AM
stormcrow

no, it's not a big number put down once on the dyno... that's where it was left and i run it on the street... i've already gone through a full tank of race fuel... you can expect to get the same on a race map...or more if you have the revup motor...
Old 07-07-2007, 10:58 AM
stormcrow

Originally Posted by doug
according to the numbers, i'm running about an 80% duty cycle... the base fuel pressure is what gives me the ability to run smaller injectors without maxing them out... if i were to drop down to say, 40psi base, then yes, i would run out of injector at my whp level... remember, injector duty cycle and fuel pressure are kinda opposite of one another... lower fuel pressure = higher duty cycle and vice versa...

Quick Reply: What can you do on stock heads, cams, greddy twins and a short block?