Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

CJM Billet Dual Pump Hanger (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Chris@SP
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CJM Billet Dual Pump Hanger (pics)

I would agree with others, this piece needs it's own thread.
Here is the unit we are running in our 350z tt. So far it is performing perfectly!

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. Great work Charlie!

You can contact us for any more information as well as Charlie.

Thanks
Chris
Old 06-21-2007, 12:19 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

How much!
Old 06-21-2007, 12:20 PM
synth19

That is sweeeet!
Old 06-21-2007, 12:39 PM
masterj26

Nice, when is it going to be released?
Old 06-21-2007, 12:56 PM
oorx7
Vendor - Former Vendor

Just for clarification, the first picture there is of the actual unit that is running and working without problems so far... the other pics are of a unit built with spare parts, some before changes were made and definatly missing some parts... but you guys get the idea for sure.

Thanks for posting that, Chris. Just what we needed, more attention to a product we arent ready to sell yet!! j/k, your testing is making us more and more comfortable with releasing this product soon. Thanks!

-Brandon @ CJM
Old 06-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Gilley

So pretty for a part you can't see.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Chris@SP
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Originally Posted by oorx7
Just for clarification, the first picture there is of the actual unit that is running and working without problems so far... the other pics are of a unit built with spare parts, some before changes were made and definatly missing some parts... but you guys get the idea for sure.

Thanks for posting that, Chris. Just what we needed, more attention to a product we arent ready to sell yet!! j/k, your testing is making us more and more comfortable with releasing this product soon. Thanks!

-Brandon @ CJM
HAHAH, thanks Brandon. I just thought it was too nice of piece to not share with everyone

Chris
Old 06-21-2007, 01:03 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Price?

JET
Old 06-21-2007, 01:12 PM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

i egged him on to post this.. its freakin sweet! i want one
Old 06-21-2007, 01:25 PM
oorx7
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Chris@SP
HAHAH, thanks Brandon. I just thought it was too nice of piece to not share with everyone

Chris
And to think, I went into your shop looking for part time work before I started to work for/with Charlie.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:46 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Originally Posted by oorx7
And to think, I went into your shop looking for part time work before I started to work for/with Charlie.
oh, so i was second choice?? i see how it is.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:28 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Well??? about time, this has got to be the longest wait, nice piece.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:39 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am glad your coming close to the release date! Another thing I liked about this fuel pump assembly was how light it was. Can't wait to get mine!

-George
GT Motorsports
Old 06-21-2007, 02:44 PM
maximumsportZ

Looking good. I've spoke to Charles many times about this, the wait shall be well worth it.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Crom

Count me in...nice work.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:03 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

There were a lot of obsticles to overcome in the development of this product. Aside from my personal problem of finishing what I start, and Brandon's very difficult schedule making it hard for us to coordinate development time, there were many design hurdles.

The top billet piece required constant adjustments to get everything aligned so that the assembly would all fit inside the can. Every little part was drawn in the CAD so that orientation could be perfected. We are so picky and we wanted the 3 fittings to form a perfect triangle so even that was a task in getting everything to properly fit and be symetrical.

The first major hurdle was finding a cost effective electrical bulkhead that is compatable with gasoline. There are many options if you dont mind spending $200+ each, but that wasn't within the budget. We needed something a fraction of a fraction of that, and Brandon was able to find them and I managed to get our hands on them.

The top billet piece had to incorperate a venturi siphon powered by the return fuel to transfer the drivers side fuel to the passenger side of the tank where the pump sits. This required reverse engineering of the factory siphon, and then some playing around on a test bench we made to figure out how to balance the siphon to work with the massive return flow of twin pumps at idle. This is the final part undergoing testing for consistency right now. The siphon is a very difficult balance, involving a compromise between adjustability of fuel pressure and strength of the siphon. If we forced everyone to use the same fuel pressure, then it would have been a lot easier. But we wanted one of the advantages of our system to be maintaining adjustable fuel pressure to help tuners do their thing.

The white part holding the pumps together is now a seperate product of ours. its made of a special plastic and each side has 2 viton orings that VERY securely hold the pumps in place and isolate vibration to keep the operation smooth and quiet, and also increase reliability of the pumps.

The lower billet piece has gone thru changes as well. Our goal was to keep full function of an intank surge can like the stock unit. We wanted as little way for the fuel to escape the can as possible, this meant limiting any openings in the can other than at the top of course, to maintain as much control over the fuel as possible. This increases pressure stability at lower tank levels around turns and high acceleration. Notice how one of the pumps has a port going thru the bottom. This is a special pump from walbro that I learned about when I was building Vipers. It has a transfer siphon to move fuel from outside the surge can to inside the surge can. Its suction to the pump is still located inside the can thru its little filter. The other pump is your standard GSS342 that uses your stock pickup filter from your OEM assembly.

Not installed on the unit in the photos is a filter that goes on the bottom of the assemble to keep debris from entering the primary transfer siphon.

Also not shown in the pictures is a diffuser tube on the return fuel, because 1000hp worth of return fuel at idle blasting into the can was causing cavitation and pressure stability issues at idle on previous prototypes.

Then we also have to CNC 2 individual pieces for the level sensor mount so that it can snap into place like stock and be removeable without having to drill in any holes in it or cause other damage to it making it so that it could not be reinstalled to the factory assembly should you ever wish to go back.

There is more going on, but I have already said enough. We used to hold back on giving people any details about it, but now that we know first hand what a pain in the *** it is to build this thing that is comprised of about 50 individual parts (doesnt look like much, but trust me its there)... we just arent worried about anyone trying to copy it. Its hardly worth it. For the CNC time and assembly and packaging time for this product, we really arent going to be making any money, this is just about supporting our customers who have used our existing products, and trying to help them move on as their needs grow. Sorry its been taking us so long guys. and by the way, it still aint cheap pricing coming soon.

Last edited by phunk; 06-21-2007 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:09 PM
taurran

Wow... that's money.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:54 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by taurran
Wow... that's money.
+10000
Old 06-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Weqster

this looks like a quality product. as an enthusiest i totally respect what u have done. Ive never really liked external surge tank setups. thing is the ****.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:38 PM
carlosG

Originally Posted by phunk
There were a lot of obsticles to overcome in the development of this product. Aside from my personal problem of finishing what I start, and Brandon's very difficult schedule making it hard for us to coordinate development time, there were many design hurdles.

The top billet piece required constant adjustments to get everything aligned so that the assembly would all fit inside the can. Every little part was drawn in the CAD so that orientation could be perfected. We are so picky and we wanted the 3 fittings to form a perfect triangle so even that was a task in getting everything to properly fit and be symetrical.

The first major hurdle was finding a cost effective electrical bulkhead that is compatable with gasoline. There are many options if you dont mind spending $200+ each, but that wasn't within the budget. We needed something a fraction of a fraction of that, and Brandon was able to find them and I managed to get our hands on them.

The top billet piece had to incorperate a venturi siphon powered by the return fuel to transfer the drivers side fuel to the passenger side of the tank where the pump sits. This required reverse engineering of the factory siphon, and then some playing around on a test bench we made to figure out how to balance the siphon to work with the massive return flow of twin pumps at idle. This is the final part undergoing testing for consistency right now. The siphon is a very difficult balance, involving a compromise between adjustability of fuel pressure and strength of the siphon. If we forced everyone to use the same fuel pressure, then it would have been a lot easier. But we wanted one of the advantages of our system to be maintaining adjustable fuel pressure to help tuners do their thing.

The white part holding the pumps together is now a seperate product of ours. its made of a special plastic and each side has 2 viton orings that VERY securely hold the pumps in place and isolate vibration to keep the operation smooth and quiet, and also increase reliability of the pumps.

The lower billet piece has gone thru changes as well. Our goal was to keep full function of an intank surge can like the stock unit. We wanted as little way for the fuel to escape the can as possible, this meant limiting any openings in the can other than at the top of course, to maintain as much control over the fuel as possible. This increases pressure stability at lower tank levels around turns and high acceleration. Notice how one of the pumps has a port going thru the bottom. This is a special pump from walbro that I learned about when I was building Vipers. It has a transfer siphon to move fuel from outside the surge can to inside the surge can. Its suction to the pump is still located inside the can thru its little filter. The other pump is your standard GSS342 that uses your stock pickup filter from your OEM assembly.

Not installed on the unit in the photos is a filter that goes on the bottom of the assemble to keep debris from entering the primary transfer siphon.

Also not shown in the pictures is a diffuser tube on the return fuel, because 1000hp worth of return fuel at idle blasting into the can was causing cavitation and pressure stability issues at idle on previous prototypes.

Then we also have to CNC 2 individual pieces for the level sensor mount so that it can snap into place like stock and be removeable without having to drill in any holes in it or cause other damage to it making it so that it could not be reinstalled to the factory assembly should you ever wish to go back.

There is more going on, but I have already said enough. We used to hold back on giving people any details about it, but now that we know first hand what a pain in the *** it is to build this thing that is comprised of about 50 individual parts (doesnt look like much, but trust me its there)... we just arent worried about anyone trying to copy it. Its hardly worth it. For the CNC time and assembly and packaging time for this product, we really arent going to be making any money, this is just about supporting our customers who have used our existing products, and trying to help them move on as their needs grow. Sorry its been taking us so long guys. and by the way, it still aint cheap pricing coming soon.
hopefully one the first of this work of art will have my name. right charles!!

Quick Reply: CJM Billet Dual Pump Hanger (pics)