Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

So... thought I would share. Pics are worth a thousand words

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 05:33 AM
denchan350gt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcdash
denchan350gt, what EMS were you running and was it reading knock?
I have the SS box, I'm going to switch to the utec or fcon IS. I was on 100 oct when I think it went.

I was at 12psi of boost then a puff of smoke came out of my exhaust and it's been smoking ever since but only when coming off boost.

I took off my turbo to have it inspected and found out that the seals were gone and my intercooler and piping had oil in them.

I replaced the turbo and cleaned out everything, but found that oil was pooled up on cyl 3 valves only. I cleaned that out put everything back together, but it was still smoking from the PVC filter.

I had a compression check done and had almost 0 compression in cyl 3.

The rep at Arias thinks it's a faulty injector or coil pack for it to detonate like that at 12psi in one cylinder only. I have the zeitronix gauge for monitoring.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:04 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by denchan350gt
I have the same problem with my engine.

I have standard 8:5 arias pistons with pauter rods running a GT35R at 10-12psi.

I had the piston go in cylinder 3 only, the others were fine with a little damage to the head.

I would sometimes get random cylinder misfires and sometime I would get cylinder 3 only. I would change the spark plug and it would go away thinking it was the plug.

I talked to arias and they said that maybe I have a faulty injector or bad coil pack for that cylinder and that I should check it out. What do you guys think?

Well here are pics of my piston with obvious detonation.
That is the same cylinder that I have the issue with as well. Though, none of the heads of my pistons show anything abnormal at all.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:21 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

just a coincidence? maybe you two have identified a "hotspot" due to overall cooling design?

by chance, did either of you have the pathfinder mod? did either of you run special coolant?

thx
Old 07-02-2007, 08:16 AM
Zivman

just a coincidence? maybe you two have identified a "hotspot" due to overall cooling design?

by chance, did either of you have the pathfinder mod? did either of you run special coolant?

thx

also just for reference, it was on the middle cylinders on both banks that I could see where the headgaskets were being compromised as well.

I had stock cooling with 50/50 antifreeze mix and a bottle of waterwetter. Beyond the temps rising due to my headlift, the temps were never really an issue
Old 07-02-2007, 08:23 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

my piston looked exactly the same...only I was running 150 shot on a stock block. Made it through 2-3 bottles. lol. Broken ring land and no tips on any of the spark plugs.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:42 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman
also just for reference, it was on the middle cylinders on both banks that I could see where the headgaskets were being compromised as well.

I had stock cooling with 50/50 antifreeze mix and a bottle of waterwetter. Beyond the temps rising due to my headlift, the temps were never really an issue
So, let me get this straight.... Beyond the fact that you overheated your car due to a compromised headgasket, you feel that engine and cylinder temperatured did not play a role in cracking that piston?Are you for real??

Thats right, overheat a car,crack a piston, them blame the piston as being weak..
Old 07-02-2007, 08:52 AM
rcdash

if everyone's breaking piston 3, then that's hard to discount or attribute to the piston design per se. It could be that overall temps are not affected. We need a poll!
Old 07-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Enron Exec

The bent ring landing looks like heat and/or detonation. The broken ring landing is prob detonation. I dont think its fair to call the standard Arias pistons weak. They are up to par with all the other forged pistons. The design with the progressively smaller ring landings is a "all or nothing" approach, like most forged pistons, they can take some small detonation a few times but the Arias standard are very unforgiving for large mistakes.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
So, let me get this straight.... Beyond the fact that you overheated your car due to a compromised headgasket, you feel that engine and cylinder temperatured did not play a role in cracking that piston?Are you for real??

Thats right, overheat a car,crack a piston, them blame the piston as being weak..

Please don't try to talk down to me. I am well informed about the situation with my car, much more than you are as you try to interpret or read into what I post.

edit: just curious where I posted that my car overheated???

Last edited by Zivman; 07-02-2007 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Zivman

if everyone's breaking piston 3, then that's hard to discount or attribute to the piston design per se. It could be that overall temps are not affected. We need a poll!

I never mean to imply that it was the arias brand piston that was weak in comparison to any other brand. if I ran wiseco, je, cp, or whatever, I would still probably be in the same situation I am now
Old 07-02-2007, 12:56 PM
go-fast
Banned

if #3 is becoming a common denominator maybe intake manifold design should be considered, it wouldnt be the first time one hole ran lean.im new here but has anyone flowed the mid/upper plenum?i would probably take a hard long look at my timing/fuel map anyway because the only thing worse than a blown engine is a second blown engine!!!
Old 07-02-2007, 04:45 PM
denchan350gt

thx
No I don't have the pathfinder mod. I used regular coolant nothing special.

How much and where can I get the pathfinder mod and what does it do?

I'm going to look into seeing if I have a faulty injector, coil pack, or both as recommended by Arias.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:38 PM
rcdash

This is the pathfinder mod that Sharif and Doug posted a while back.

Here is the web page on Evans cooling that explains "nucleate boiling" and here is the recent thread on coolants that discussed different options in terms of coolant.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:39 PM
denchan350gt

This is the pathfinder mod that Sharif and Doug posted a while back.

Here is the web page on Evans cooling that explains "nucleate boiling" and here is the recent thread on coolants that discussed different options in terms of coolant.
Thanks
Old 07-13-2007, 04:24 PM
Zivman

Update - we are about 2 wks out on the build at this point. Here are the specs:

>GTM spec arias ED pistons 20 over 9:1 CR
>Eagle rods - mag'd good
>New OEM crankshaft - old one mag'd bad....machine shop thinks it was due to UR crank pulley !?!?!?!?
>New OEM rod and main bearings
>ARP main studs
>GTM FI Cams - Stage 1
>GTM spec ARP2000 head studs; 11mm
>JWT springs and shims
>HKS stopper headgasket
>HKS Fcon Vpro w/ AFR/knock amp feedback
>HKS EVC 5
>HKS DLII ignition
>Carbonetics twin disc -> jury is still out on this. Flywheel is showing hot spots, but I think it will be fine after talking to a few shops about it
>Forge Actuators; Red springs
>Defi 3 pillar pod gauge array - boost, fuel pressure, oil temp
>Pathfinder Cooling mod
>Rev-up Oil pump

I am sticking with my exhaust setup...3.5" test pipes into the 2.5" APS exhaust

The local shop where the motor is at has me feeling VERY good about the build. They are well informed about the setup and I am confident in their work. They are going to look over the heads a bit and advise their thoughts on any headwork they might see fit.

Thanks to all those that helped me out
Old 07-13-2007, 04:31 PM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

holly **** UR crank pulley? i still have mine on.. are they sure about this? im scared
Old 07-13-2007, 05:40 PM
Zivman

Originally Posted by paranormal
holly **** UR crank pulley? i still have mine on.. are they sure about this? im scared
They seemed fairly certain. Said they had seen it many times before. Said I was lucky it didn't take out the oil pump.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:52 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Looks like a very nice build.

As for the pulley I don't think it is worth having one on with boost, the stock one is not that heavy as compared to other cars, 300ZX comes to mind, not worth the possible risks.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:55 PM
tig488

i thought you already had the fcon setup?
Old 07-13-2007, 06:00 PM
Zivman

Originally Posted by tig488
i thought you already had the fcon setup?
yes I currently have the Fcon, but just thought I would post it up to round out the specs.

I agree with you gus, the pulley found its way over from my N/A days and I really never thought about it again until now.

Quick Reply: So... thought I would share. Pics are worth a thousand words