Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Eagle rods/Wiseco pistons- need advise

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 05:56 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan,
The EU may not be the best choice as the timing control is a bit eradic (at least when i had worked with it over a year ago)... was this the engine management you were running the entire time?

As for the engine builders out there, there are many great ones to choose from, but rest assured that because this is the ONLY engine that we have been building for the past few years, we have it down.
Our machine shop uses top notch machinery, they machine for most of of the 1000+hp dragsters here in town (huge race scene out here believe it or not)... and the reason that we have such great pricing and such quick turn-around time is no secret; we have low overhead as we do not have a full blown shop..and we have at least 6 cores in stock at all times, typically in different stages of the machining/assembly process to insure that we will be able to meet our demand at any given time!

Look forward to getting you back on the road quickly!

-TODD
Old 07-18-2007, 06:14 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Talking

Originally Posted by DMK
Why did you choose Todd over IPP? IPP is much cheaper.

We aim to keep our pricing in the same ballpark as the other shops out there, but we have always tried to offer additional upgrades, such as 1/2" head studs at a very conservative rate when one purchases an engine from us.

Our basic packages are very comparable to IPP as well, I just checked their site.

Just wanted to clarify that we do not charge more for our builds, actually, we are commonly told that we have some of the best pricing.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Mr_pharmD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
Dan,
The EU may not be the best choice as the timing control is a bit eradic (at least when i had worked with it over a year ago)... was this the engine management you were running the entire time?

As for the engine builders out there, there are many great ones to choose from, but rest assured that because this is the ONLY engine that we have been building for the past few years, we have it down.
Our machine shop uses top notch machinery, they machine for most of of the 1000+hp dragsters here in town (huge race scene out here believe it or not)... and the reason that we have such great pricing and such quick turn-around time is no secret; we have low overhead as we do not have a full blown shop..and we have at least 6 cores in stock at all times, typically in different stages of the machining/assembly process to insure that we will be able to meet our demand at any given time!

Look forward to getting you back on the road quickly!

-TODD
Ya the EU was the only thing I had when it blew. I know there are better stuff out there but I dont think timing and detontation was the issue here. My pistons looked normal from the pix I took with alittle brown in the middle (which I believe it normal?). The only conclusion I can come up with and also my shop is that the rod just gave out or I had a weak motor from the start.

I hope to have her running like new again with one of your amazing built longblocks in a month. hint hint bigger discount, plez lol

Last edited by Mr_pharmD; 07-18-2007 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:24 PM
DMK

Last edited by DMK; 04-22-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:01 PM
Mr_pharmD

anyone interested in the Heads and shortblock???? Ill sell them CHEAP

The head can be a cheap project for those who want to pnp and do oversize valves.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:21 AM
dovla

Crap, sorry guys. I am/was planning to go Vortech route soon.

Originally Posted by zzerotwosixty
I got 19K boosted on mine. Blew it up last week at the track. Just the piston I think.
zzerotwosixty, did you blew your engine because of recent UpRev tune or because you had no oil cooler nor fuel return? Thanks
Old 07-24-2007, 10:14 AM
zzerotwosixty

Originally Posted by dovla
Crap, sorry guys. I am/was planning to go Vortech route soon.

zzerotwosixty, did you blew your engine because of recent UpRev tune or because you had no oil cooler nor fuel return? Thanks

No oil cooler, red lining at 100 degrees ambient. Getting oil cooler this time Plus Nismo thermostat. Remote race oil filter w/o bypass, distilled water w/water wetter. I had a lot of blowby before I took off the SS box and upped the boost. It's just a matter of time and how you drive it. I hammer the **** out of this car, a pretty boy poser would get more milage but less fun(I don't mean you, just generic).
Old 04-22-2008, 04:34 PM
DMK

So, how about those Wiseco pistons? Good or no good? How do they compare to CP Pistons?
Old 04-22-2008, 05:13 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by DMK
So, how about those Wiseco pistons? Good or no good? How do they compare to CP Pistons?
Wiseco pistons are very good in my opinion, but I would put CP above them.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:04 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

werd.... i think for the power levels of the OP his 1st combo of eagle+wisecos still ok...but taking it to next is wanted.. crower rods, cp pistons...or what ever your builder suggests
Old 04-22-2008, 07:09 PM
DMK

What power level are standard Wiseco (8.8:1) and standard CP (8.5:1) pistons good for?
Old 04-22-2008, 07:19 PM
turismo

So what happened PharmD
Old 04-22-2008, 07:57 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by DMK
What power level are standard Wiseco (8.8:1) and standard CP (8.5:1) pistons good for?
If properly installed, and all other criteria is meet to make sure the engine is well built, they should both be good for 1000hp+ IMHO. Many supras are running, and most have good luck pushing some serious power.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:04 PM
SpoilsofWar

^ Agree, at least on the rods. I have yet to see a build that warrants anything but Eagle rods. Who in the VQ35 world has had an eagle rod fail?
Old 04-22-2008, 08:09 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
^ Agree, at least on the rods. I have yet to see a build that warrants anything but Eagle rods. Who in the VQ35 world has had an eagle rod fail?

^^^

+1 with the power 90% of the builds are pushing they havent been tested @ their break point yet.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:38 PM
DMK

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
^^^

+1 with the power 90% of the builds are pushing they havent been tested @ their break point yet.
Well, what about the pistons? There is about a $100 difference between Wiseco and CP, CP being more expensive. Looking for them to hold a max of 550whp without breaking a sweat.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:56 PM
GolfinZ

For pistons, I thought the "top dog" was the Arias ED
Old 04-22-2008, 09:15 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by GolfinZ
Yeah, but how many people need a piston capable of 1500rwhp+ when the CP or Wiseco's will be plenty, and cost a good amount less. Again, everyone on here LOVES to overbuild. Overbuilding doesnt mean **** in my opinion. It can break just as easily as doing a simple build that will meet your power goals.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:16 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by GolfinZ
Not knocking the "ED" pistons, but in general Arias has a reputation of being crap. The only reason anyone would have the indication they were "top dog" is due to marketing and word of mouth on the forums here.

Wiseco is known for making cheaper, reliable pistons, but I wouldn't say they're up to par with CP.

Just going by brand name and reputation, CP are about the best you can get. You're better off going with them if you only have to pay $100 more.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:44 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by DMK
Well, what about the pistons? There is about a $100 difference between Wiseco and CP, CP being more expensive. Looking for them to hold a max of 550whp without breaking a sweat.
whos your builder

Quick Reply: Eagle rods/Wiseco pistons- need advise