Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Eagle rods/Wiseco pistons- need advise

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:19 AM
DMK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
whos your builder
Not sure yet. I might assemble it myself with some help (minus the machining) or just take all the parts to a shop, like SFR.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:03 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by taurran
Not knocking the "ED" pistons, but in general Arias has a reputation of being crap. The only reason anyone would have the indication they were "top dog" is due to marketing and word of mouth on the forums here.
BINGO!!!! we have a winner. Taurran is right. Outside of the 350Z web world, Arias pistons are not held in very high regard. Ask around at shops who build alot of motors.........imports or domestics. You will hear alot of people singing the praises of Cp pistons. The other one who makes a great piston, generally speaking, is Mahle. Unfortunately, Mahle has a very limited offering for the Vq35. They have an off the shelf forging, but their custom stuff gets REALLY!!! EXPENSIVE!!!!
Old 04-23-2008, 01:06 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the Arias ED design with the buttons make assembly much easier...the wiseco's are a PITA... I have had great experience with the Arias ED.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The fact of the matter is that if you ask 20 builders, you're likely to get 10 answers as to what is "the best". The best is a very relative term, and is subject mostly to the person who does your machining work - use whatever they are most comfortable using. I dont think a single one of us on here are smart enough, or have enough experience to deem one as being the best, other than on the basis of heresay. This is one area where there are no experts, and you're best bet is deferring to the person responsible for making sure the engine works properly (ie the person actually building it)

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 04-23-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:02 PM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QuadCam
The other one who makes a great piston, generally speaking, is Mahle.
Mahle has had their own issues. For example, their **** poor ring land design for some Subaru pistons. I have a friend who had his Mahle's let go at ~550whp in his STI. To their credit, last I heard they had changed the design and rectified the problem.

No company is immune from criticism. However, I can't recall any failed forged piston threads in this forum that have been the fault of the piston itself. Improper tuning can destroy even the best piston. I think most of us will be fine with Arias, Wiseco, Mahle, CP, etc etc pistons. Personally, I used Arias due to their good rep in the VQ world (and the fact that I got my set for sub $400 )
Old 04-23-2008, 08:35 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
Mahle has had their own issues. For example, their **** poor ring land design for some Subaru pistons. I have a friend who had his Mahle's let go at ~550whp in his STI. To their credit, last I heard they had changed the design and rectified the problem.

I should have clarified that I meant Mahle lineup of domestic pistons. Their lineup for sport compacts area all 4032 alloy, which are great for long term use, but won't take quite the same beating as a 2618 alloy.