Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Eagle rods/Wiseco pistons- need advise

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:50 PM
DMK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
Well, I finally found my builder. I wont be going with IIP afterall but instead Todd at built z motor.

I will be going to my shop tomorrow to check out the damage and to take some pix
Why did you choose Todd over IPP? IPP is much cheaper.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Mr_pharmD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DMK
Why did you choose Todd over IPP? IPP is much cheaper.

I spoke with Todd and he was always there to answer any questions I had and I felt he really wanted to help as much as he could to get me back on the road. Good communications and a lot of + feeback doesnt hurt either
Old 07-17-2007, 11:52 PM
DMK

I spoke with Todd and he was always there to answer any questions I had and I felt he really wanted to help as much as he could to get me back on the road. Good communications and a lot of + feeback doesnt hurt either
Have you thought of getting a new long block? They sell for about $1-$1.5k and you can just reinstall the Vortech.

Check your Greddy EU btw. Heard a lot of bad stories on it.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:13 AM
Mr_pharmD

Originally Posted by DMK
Have you thought of getting a new long block? They sell for about $1-$1.5k and you can just reinstall the Vortech.

Check your Greddy EU btw. Heard a lot of bad stories on it.

I dont want it to blow again with a stock block. doing it right this time and paying for it big time.

What kind of stories??? U think the EU caused the damage?? I talked with the shop and they said there was no signs of detonation... the rings just gave out and then BOOM.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:49 AM
zzerotwosixty

I dont want it to blow again with a stock block. doing it right this time and paying for it big time.

What kind of stories??? U think the EU caused the damage?? I talked with the shop and they said there was no signs of detonation... the rings just gave out and then BOOM.

+1, I'm getting a GTM shortblock.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:39 AM
jasonM

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/281054-check-out-these-nice-pics.html
check out this thread i have eagle rods
Old 07-18-2007, 06:58 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonM
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281054
check out this thread i have eagle rods

how do the rods look? they held up and the crank broke?
Old 07-18-2007, 07:00 AM
TENGAI

I don't think that your issue was the Eagle rods. I suspect the thrust washers / main bearings had some part in your crank failure. But I'm not an expert by any stretch...

We all know that Eagle rods are based on the H-beam design and that H-beam rods have been used in applications from import to domestic to open wheel drag, etc. In many of these cases, 1000+ whp levels have been reported and yet no reports of rod failure using this design. Eagles are considered one of the standards for domestic engine builds and have easily pushed monster numbers out. IIRC, there hasn't been a single case reported on our cars where an Eagle rod failed in a boosted application. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Not trying to say eagle rods are the "best" but don't buy into reports that they're only good for moderate applications either. When it comes down to our cars, all of the rods on the market are more than capable of the numbers that the current turbo kits / fuel systems can support. Basically, your going to run out of power before you snap an aftermarket rod at this point.

Maybe by next year we'll see 1200+ whp street cars hitting sub 9sec 1/4 mile runs. MAYBE... But it's not going to be until then that we see issues with any of the aftermarket rods currently available.

Just my
Old 07-18-2007, 11:02 AM
webcarconnection

Originally Posted by zzerotwosixty
I know of people around here that have turbos, just so they can say they have 'em. They cruise around, they won't race. I launch at every light, and shift at redline everytime. Except on ice, lol even then VDC is always off. Anyway, I knew the motor was weak when I bought the car.

I know what you mean, I race my car everytime I get the chance (street, drag) but I always new that any engine have their limits and I respect that with my Z and all other FI cars that I own... if you have a good intallment and tune the engine will hold at longest it take.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Mr_pharmD

Originally Posted by QuadCam
how do the rods look? they held up and the crank broke?

Ya I'm curious how the rods and pistons looked? They look still intacked. The experts were saying it was oil starvation? Did u reuse your old crank and just balance and polished them for that build? Sorry to hear your lost too.

Last edited by Mr_pharmD; 07-18-2007 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:30 PM
DMK

Ya, I would too. Do it right and get a TT now that you'll have a built motor.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:11 PM
Hexxum001

Ya I'm curious how the rods and pistons looked? They look still intacked. The experts were saying it was oil starvation? Did u reuse your old crank and just balance and polished them for that build? Sorry to hear your lost too.
Oil starvation?? I am already paranoid cuz my old engine was consuming oil like a ****. My new engine seems fine but I will keep an extra close eye on it. Do you have an oil pressure gauge?? Did it give you any indication of oil starvation??
Old 07-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Mr_pharmD

Originally Posted by Hexxum001
Oil starvation?? I am already paranoid cuz my old engine was consuming oil like a ****. My new engine seems fine but I will keep an extra close eye on it. Do you have an oil pressure gauge?? Did it give you any indication of oil starvation??

Not my motor, JasonM's motor. He showed a link of his built motor with a broken crank.

In my case, one of my rods gave out and it shatter that piston everywhere in the block and head. The rest of the pistons looked normal. Ill post pix later tonight.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:32 PM
Hexxum001

Oh okay. I thought you were talking about your engine.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:48 PM
G350ZTT

wiseco piston and eagle rods for me...... Good luck with the built and if ur going TT go with APS...Best kit for the $$.. They have everything even fuel return line. Also, get the sleeves wile ur at it, save u allot of time and money for the future.... my 2c
Old 07-18-2007, 02:55 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by G350ZTT
wiseco piston and eagle rods for me...... Good luck with the built and if ur going TT go with APS...Best kit for the $$.. They have everything even fuel return line. Also, get the sleeves wile ur at it, save u allot of time and money for the future.... my 2c
I don't agree. The easiest (non extreme) kit to pull power out of on a normal built setup is still the Greddy TT. Internal wastegates FTL.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:22 PM
G350ZTT

with the greddy kit ull have to buy the new ultimate, fuel return system and inj. When u do the math ull be spending more. APS can back there sht up better and they have the upgrade 1k hp kit. Take the turbos further back and easier to get into that tranny.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:10 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by G350ZTT
with the greddy kit ull have to buy the new ultimate, fuel return system and inj. When u do the math ull be spending more. APS can back there sht up better and they have the upgrade 1k hp kit. Take the turbos further back and easier to get into that tranny.
Yeah you will be spending more, but the standard APS fuel system sucks and is only good for 450rear and the Unichip is nothing amazing. The greddy kit with extras with have more room for the future and will be a better kit IMHO. The extreme kit is nothing special either. You won't make 1k hp unless you get a stroker motor, because the APS extreme turbos are really not that much bigger then the greddy's.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:04 PM
G350ZTT

true true....
Old 07-18-2007, 05:30 PM
Mr_pharmD

No turbos for me guys. I'm in Kali so I need to at least look CARB legal

Here's some of the pix.

Last edited by Mr_pharmD; 07-18-2007 at 05:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Eagle rods/Wiseco pistons- need advise