Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Catch can install question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 09:22 AM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Sounds good...where did you get the small air filter?
I picked mine up at Advanced Auto.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:07 PM
NETSHARK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best solution is to close the 2 holes the one on the plenum and the one on the intake, and put a catch tank with a T on one side and vented to Atmosphere on the other side, route the T to the PCV and the other side of the T to the driver`s side Valve Cover and then tadaaaaa you got oil :P
Old 07-18-2007, 02:42 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by failsafe306
I picked mine up at Advanced Auto.

sweet thanks
Old 07-18-2007, 02:53 PM
mario23

pcv and plenum...
That's where the majority of the sludge is.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Abishop

Originally Posted by maximumsportZ
Brian I will be doing this setup... heres an idea where I'm going to put this small filter.

This is what i have on my car, without the APS one-way valve. works great.

By the way, the APS one way valve? What does it do?

Last edited by Abishop; 07-18-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:46 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MUZZY
you can do both but the pcv valve is better since it collects more. you have a v6 the pcv valve I beleive only collect the passengers 3 and not collect the other side hence you probly need a T conection if you want to collect all of it.

muzzy,

there is a crossover tube between the valve covers already. It runs from cover to cover, right in front of the intake manifold.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:03 AM
MUZZY

Originally Posted by QuadCam
muzzy,

there is a crossover tube between the valve covers already. It runs from cover to cover, right in front of the intake manifold.
I have a catch can installed right now on my passenger side only, and im still getting blow by on my driver side >< if there is a connection it still wouldnt hurt to run both of them to the can. and yes vent to atmosphere is better than back into the manifold. Im only speaking in FI terms.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:52 AM
zzerotwosixty

Originally Posted by maximumsportZ
Brian I will be doing this setup... heres an idea where I'm going to put this small filter.

I have this setup, with a breather filter on the left valve cover. I holed a piston at the track, massive blowby. The catchcan filled with oil instantly, also blew a lot of oil past the plug wire openings in the right valve cover. ZERO OIL CAME OUT OF THE LEFT SIDE BREATHER FILTER.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:36 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by MUZZY
I have a catch can installed right now on my passenger side only, and im still getting blow by on my driver side >< if there is a connection it still wouldnt hurt to run both of them to the can. and yes vent to atmosphere is better than back into the manifold. Im only speaking in FI terms.

If you do that you're going to be venting boost to atmosphere which I'm pretty sure you don't want to do.

Seems like running the can between the PCV and the manifold and installing a breather filter on the driver's side valve cover is the best FI solution.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:55 AM
jpc350z

If you do that you're going to be venting boost to atmosphere which I'm pretty sure you don't want to do.

Seems like running the can between the PCV and the manifold and installing a breather filter on the driver's side valve cover is the best FI solution.
I agree with your suggestion of placing the can between the PCV and manifold but don't understand how running the breather (driver side) vent to the can will loose boost if I understand what muzzy is saying.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:07 AM
gqong

im curious as to what is better venting to atmosphere or back to the manifold. i have tried both, but am not sure which is better for FI.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:13 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by jpc350z
I agree with your suggestion of placing the can between the PCV and manifold but don't understand how running the breather (driver side) vent to the can will loose boost if I understand what muzzy is saying.

Number 1 the driver's side vent doesn't have a one-way valve so you'll be pressurizing the crank that valve cover when you're in boost.

Number 2 from what he was saying it seems like he plans on venting the whole catch can setup to atmosphere in which case he'd lose boost via the intake manifold port.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:15 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by gqong
im curious as to what is better venting to atmosphere or back to the manifold. i have tried both, but am not sure which is better for FI.
Good question...
Old 07-19-2007, 01:24 PM
failsafe306

The only reason it's plumbed back into the intake is for emissions purposes and so your car doesn't smell bad

I'd guess that venting to atmosphere is probably better.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:28 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Number 1 the driver's side vent doesn't have a one-way valve so you'll be pressurizing the crank that valve cover when you're in boost.

Number 2 from what he was saying it seems like he plans on venting the whole catch can setup to atmosphere in which case he'd lose boost via the intake manifold port.
The driver's side is not under boost, it is hooked up to the intake so no boost there.

Best would be to probably vent the catch can to atmosphere and plug up the plenum port to avoid the leak, but as mentioned you would get the fumes in the engine bay.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:30 PM
NETSHARK

Naah of course you have to cap the whole on the lower plenum or otherwise your idle will feel little shaky even if your NA, its happened to me i saw my AFR hit 17 to 18 when i press and let off the gas pedal, venting the can to atmosphere is okay but venting the plenum is crazy you`ll lose boost when your in boost and while you`re off boost your engine will be lean because the engine will suck more air and the MAF won`t know the result is lean condition.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:34 PM
NETSHARK

Originally Posted by Abishop
By the way, the APS one way valve? What does it do?
the use of this valve is to make sure pressurised air inside the plenum won`t go into the PCV Valve, but i guess APS forgot that the PCV is one way also, on the other side (the driver side) no need for any valve because the oil is routed to the intake pre-boost.

Last edited by NETSHARK; 07-19-2007 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:56 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by westpak
The driver's side is not under boost, it is hooked up to the intake so no boost there.
If you hook it up in series with the pcv line and intake manifold it would be which is what muzzy was saying if I understood him correctly.

Best would be to probably vent the catch can to atmosphere and plug up the plenum port to avoid the leak, but as mentioned you would get the fumes in the engine bay.
I'm going to try failsafe's method first and see how that goes.