Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Catch can install question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 12:16 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Catch can install question

I've got a Greddy oil catch can that I'm trying to install. The directions for it say to install it between the valve cover and the intake. A thread on here says to install it between the PCV and intake manifold. So which one is it??
Old 07-17-2007, 12:25 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Well I think going through the PCV is the safer way as it's a one way valve and that's the only way I've seen it down. I wouldn't even know how to tap the valve cover for something like this ????
Old 07-17-2007, 12:32 PM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
I've got a Greddy oil catch can that I'm trying to install. The directions for it say to install it between the valve cover and the intake. A thread on here says to install it between the PCV and intake manifold. So which one is it??
Mine just goes between the PCV and the plenum, over on the passenger side. On the driver side vent, I just used a small cone-style air filter attached right to the valve cover.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:38 PM
Cannysage

mine sits in the middle, behind the radiator.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:40 PM
06blueZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isnt the PCV valve is mounted right in the valve cover? so thats the same thing really i think...
Old 07-17-2007, 01:32 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 06blueZ
Isnt the PCV valve is mounted right in the valve cover? so thats the same thing really i think...

BINGO!
Old 07-17-2007, 01:52 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by QuadCam
BINGO!

nah..different port. The PCV is run from the passenger side valve cover to the plenum. The crankcase breather tube is run from the rear of the drivers side valve cover to the intake pipe on the drivers side turbo.

I'm just going to run it like failsafe has his.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:52 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by failsafe306
Mine just goes between the PCV and the plenum, over on the passenger side. On the driver side vent, I just used a small cone-style air filter attached right to the valve cover.

Sounds good...where did you get the small air filter?
Old 07-17-2007, 07:30 PM
maximumsportZ

Brian I will be doing this setup... heres an idea where I'm going to put this small filter.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:33 PM
maximumsportZ

Heres another on a APS TT car. You can see the one way APS valve (OPTIONAL) in this picture also between the PCV...

You can pick up this filter at a local Home Depot in the air compressor section in Tools.

Last edited by maximumsportZ; 07-17-2007 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:37 PM
QuadCam

chris,

you need to go to Lowes. they have the bigger air/oil separator but it is blue....perfect for your car!
Old 07-17-2007, 09:38 PM
QuadCam

nah..different port. The PCV is run from the passenger side valve cover to the plenum. The crankcase breather tube is run from the rear of the drivers side valve cover to the intake pipe on the drivers side turbo.

I'm just going to run it like failsafe has his.

Thanks for the input guys.

that's what I was saying.......put the catch can between the pass valve cover (pcv valve) and the intake plenum. the pcv valve is built into the nipple on the pass valve cover. Unscrew it and check it out for yourself.......so when you asked whether you should put the catch can between the valve cover and the intake (assuming the instructions are referring to the "intake manifold") or to put it between the pcv and the plenum, you were really asking the same thing.

Last edited by QuadCam; 07-17-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:07 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by QuadCam
that's what I was saying.......put the catch can between the pass valve cover (pcv valve) and the intake plenum. the pcv valve is built into the nipple on the pass valve cover. Unscrew it and check it out for yourself.......so when you asked whether you should put the catch can between the valve cover and the intake (assuming the instructions are referring to the "intake manifold") or to put it between the pcv and the plenum, you were really asking the same thing.
I'm not a moron. I know where the PCV valve is and what it's function is. The fundemental difference in the two locations for the catch can is that one sees boost pressure and one does not. The instructions state to install the catch can between the valve cover breather and the intake pipe (PRE TURBO). Guys on here install it between the PCV and intake manifold (POST TURBO). The latter makes more sense and I just wanted to make sure. Hence the entire reason I posted this thread.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:25 AM
jpc350z

Old 07-18-2007, 05:45 AM
westpak
SFZCC

I am going to install mine between the PCV and plenum, after seeing how much oil residue is in the plenum coming from there.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:54 AM
QuadCam

I'm not a moron. I know where the PCV valve is and what it's function is. The fundemental difference in the two locations for the catch can is that one sees boost pressure and one does not. The instructions state to install the catch can between the valve cover breather and the intake pipe (PRE TURBO). Guys on here install it between the PCV and intake manifold (POST TURBO). The latter makes more sense and I just wanted to make sure. Hence the entire reason I posted this thread.

i am not calling you a moron. alot of people don't know that the pcv valve is built-into the nipple of the pass valve cover. I previously ran clear tubing just to see if there was any oil going between the driver side valve cover vent and the inlet piping on my turbo......there was no discoloration of the tubing....

like others were saying, locate your can between the pass valve cover and the intake manifold. It is the best location on these cars.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:10 AM
MUZZY

you can do both but the pcv valve is better since it collects more. you have a v6 the pcv valve I beleive only collect the passengers 3 and not collect the other side hence you probly need a T conection if you want to collect all of it.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:27 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Internally is it really separated? I have heard before that very little oil vapor is retrieved from the driver's side, so never bothered with it. I don't know if the situation changes post-turbo install. Quadcam, was your clear pipe testing post FI?
Old 07-18-2007, 07:32 AM
MUZZY

Im FI and most still collects from left side... but I am going to route the catch can to collect both sides
Old 07-18-2007, 07:41 AM
jpc350z

Originally Posted by MUZZY
Im FI and most still collects from left side... but I am going to route the catch can to collect both sides
Is not the driver side breather simply an air intake (connected to the stock airbox)? and has no oil vapors. Or does F.I. change this? Don't think so...So why hook it to the catch can which will have oil vapors which will be sucked into the deiver side cover?

Quick Reply: Catch can install question