Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Injected Performance bringing in the first four digit dyno number: 1016rwhp DD

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by paranormal
sorry i was under the assumption that you could purchase all parts on the GTM car. my missunderstanding. please tell me what parts you cannot buy.
FYI...

Originally Posted by Sam@GTM
Car Specifications:

GTM 4.24L Stroked Engine ('06 350Z RevUp)
FI: APS Extreme Twin Turbo Kit (50lbs/min turbos)
Short Block: GTM 4.2L stroker short block
Heads: GTM Stage 4 heads (1.5mm oversize valves)
Cams: GTM RevUp cams (prototype)
Studs: GTM 12mm head studs
HG: Cometic head gasket
Valve train: Ferrea single springs/Ti retainers
Fuel injectors: HKS 1000cc
Fuel system: CJ Motorsports Stage 3 Dual Pump (prototype)
Cooling: Nissan Pathfinder mod, PWR custom radiator, dual oil coolers (oil/power steering fluid)
Intake: Motordyne Engineering MREV Isothermal (5/16” spacer)
Exhaust: GTM Custom 3in True Dual Exhaust
Clutch: GTM Spec/Exedy Triple Plate Carbon (prototype)
Red line: 8000rpm
EMS: HKS Fcon Vpro
To Injected Performance:

Is this the final tune for this car, or have you guys not yet reached your power goals?

Last edited by Kwame; 07-21-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:30 PM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ahh i see.

i guess im getting majik invisible cam's in my car then

foget it. im wrong im sorry back on topic! i dont want to start anything in IP's thread.

Old 07-21-2007, 01:38 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by centxdsm
I understand that there is a lot left in terms of compressor flow, but that certainly isn't the reason for such a drastic drop in power production. We're probably talking about 8% from the compressor wheel's peak efficiency. Definately not a big deal at all. I don't think any of the available hotsides would casue such a drastic drop from peak to top end power. I suspect a converter issue, especially if your airflow plots are correct. as 1000whp takes 100ish lb/min worth of flow.
I know what you are saying...

Let me reserve my judgement until I see a proper rpm plot.

I am not sure why the TC would cause such a drop in power at the top end. The faster the TC spins hte lower its STR (torque multiplication) and the higher it's power transmission though the liquid medium (AT fluid). TC sslip is really almost always an issue on the low end, when there is a large differential between the impeller and wheel/tranny side of torque converter.

As far as the hot-side of the turbo is concerned...this is why I was asking about the A/R....that would generally asnwer the question. Again, we need to see the rpm plot to be sure of the flow characteristics.

As far the compressor map is concerned, that is a direct indication of the flow as a function of the shaft/impeller speed. So, once the shaft spins up, that will bring the compressor flow diagram into perspective, as that will allow you to see what the boost is. This is generally a very efficient turbine, as is the case is with MOST if not all large frame turbos...79% peak efficiency is pretty good... and is harder to attain with smaller turbos. The only one that does is the PE1420 that has 79% efficiency at low flow levels, thanks to its dual impeller design. Others peak out at 74-76%.

So, this GT4718 turbo would get into it's higher efficiency range at 10-11K rpm, as you can see from the plot. And this plot is VERY accurate, more so it's customized for their elevation, temperature, VE, and no pressure drop (in the last two cases I put in optimistic values so that it would help the graph looked better than it would if the VE were lower, etc). If you are NOT gonna spin the engine that high, which is the case with the VQ35, and you are gonna attain higher flow on the count of higher boost (as the rpm lines move further to the right with higher boost), then you need to pick a smaller compressor and a higher A/R housign to account for the higher flow at higher boost levels. This scenario would only penalize the spool up time (slower), but once it IS spooled up to boost, the comrpessor would indeed be at a higher efficiency... and THAT's exactly what I am talking about. This is what constitutes good turbo sizing R&D.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:18 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by kwame@z1

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranormal
sorry i was under the assumption that you could purchase all parts on the GTM car. my missunderstanding. please tell me what parts you cannot buy.
FYI...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@GTM
Car Specifications:

GTM 4.24L Stroked Engine ('06 350Z RevUp)
FI: APS Extreme Twin Turbo Kit (50lbs/min turbos)
Short Block: GTM 4.2L stroker short block
Heads: GTM Stage 4 heads (1.5mm oversize valves)
Cams: GTM RevUp cams (prototype)
Studs: GTM 12mm head studs
HG: Cometic head gasket
Valve train: Ferrea single springs/Ti retainers
Fuel injectors: HKS 1000cc
Fuel system: CJ Motorsports Stage 3 Dual Pump (prototype)
Cooling: Nissan Pathfinder mod, PWR custom radiator, dual oil coolers (oil/power steering fluid)
Intake: Motordyne Engineering MREV Isothermal (5/16” spacer)
Exhaust: GTM Custom 3in True Dual Exhaust
Clutch: GTM Spec/Exedy Triple Plate Carbon (prototype)
Red line: 8000rpm
EMS: HKS Fcon Vpro
To Injected Performance:

Is this the final tune for this car, or have you guys not yet reached your power goals?
First off, Congrats to Gregg and everyone at Injected Perfromance this is awesome power and that looks like one sick drag car! I love the skinnies in the front on the dyno

Just would like to clear a few things up regarding what paranormal said. I believe what he meant (and I could be wrong) is that all the parts used on our car are OFF THE SHELF parts, nothing custom that needs to be specifically fabricated for every customers cars.

Our REVUP cams are in stock and have already been installed in a few of our customer's cars.

For fuel system the APS Extreme fuel system will do just fine, the CJM Stage 3 will be out very soon. (both are off the shelf parts you can purchase)

Our Exedy GTM Spec Triple Sisc clutch was installed in this car to test it, our twin disc will (and did) hold up just fine. Not to mention this really doesn't have to do with the engine since there are many clutch choices available.

We have already duplicated our setup on another members car (Nitrouz) and his car was equipped with the GTM Twin Disk Exedy clutch and APS Extreme fuel system.

Anyways point is that we build street cars and all the parts we use are readily available and can be done by anyone who has the desire to do it. There will be a few more setups similar to our 855rwhp street Z rolling out of the shop in the next few months....

Sorry for the OT, just needed to clarify that. Now post up those graphs with TQ, and RPMS Gregg!

-George
GT Motorsports
Old 07-21-2007, 03:25 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I am sure if there is enough demand and the market is truly there, Injected or someone else might consider making a single turbo kit with these capabilities for the general public. Truthfully, I don't think there are even ten people on this board who would actually pony up to purchase a kit of this magnitude.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:52 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by kwame@z1
I am sure if there is enough demand and the market is truly there, Injected or someone else might consider making a single turbo kit with these capabilities for the general public. Truthfully, I don't think there are even ten people on this board who would actually pony up to purchase a kit of this magnitude.

I agree I doubt there are even 10 people on these boards that would take their car to this level. Most board members use their cars as a daily driver/weekend car/show car. Not many hard-core drag only racers that trailer their cars to the track.

But I could be wrong!

-George
GT Motorsports
Old 07-21-2007, 04:15 PM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

very nice
Old 07-21-2007, 04:59 PM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

Thanks to everyone that has congratulated us. I know there are will always be skeptics. We built the car to see if we could push the limits of the VQ and I believe that some of the off the shelf parts are not able to make the power we wanted to. I would say that GTM has pushed the limits of the APS Extreme Fuel System and APS Extreme Turbo System. We have always done stuff a little different, first with the single turbo GT42 2 years ago and now with the single turbo GT47. Don't get me wrong, this is our drag car.

You might see this motor or one like it in my 06' street driven 350z with a pair of turbos, our twin pump return fuel system (that was developed along with our GT42 turbo) and a six speed transmission or in a G35. Who knows. We were able to find out what the Brian Crower Stroker Kit and L19 studs can handle. So far everything looks really good. We will not stop here, just need to focus on some customer's cars, other project cars, and of course the Haltech Platinum PnP system. More to be released this week. We didn't make it to the track on Friday due to the driveshaft Driveshaftshop.com supplied to us was larger than the driveshaft loop we had ready to install. Our local metal store was already closed and I won't take a car to the track without the safety loop. I have broken too many driveshafts back in the Supra days. Larry knows all about that

Thanks again,

Greg

Originally Posted by George@GTM
First off, Congrats to Gregg and everyone at Injected Perfromance this is awesome power and that looks like one sick drag car! I love the skinnies in the front on the dyno

Just would like to clear a few things up regarding what paranormal said. I believe what he meant (and I could be wrong) is that all the parts used on our car are OFF THE SHELF parts, nothing custom that needs to be specifically fabricated for every customers cars.

Our REVUP cams are in stock and have already been installed in a few of our customer's cars.

For fuel system the APS Extreme fuel system will do just fine, the CJM Stage 3 will be out very soon. (both are off the shelf parts you can purchase)

Our Exedy GTM Spec Triple Sisc clutch was installed in this car to test it, our twin disc will (and did) hold up just fine. Not to mention this really doesn't have to do with the engine since there are many clutch choices available.

We have already duplicated our setup on another members car (Nitrouz) and his car was equipped with the GTM Twin Disk Exedy clutch and APS Extreme fuel system.

Anyways point is that we build street cars and all the parts we use are readily available and can be done by anyone who has the desire to do it. There will be a few more setups similar to our 855rwhp street Z rolling out of the shop in the next few months....

Sorry for the OT, just needed to clarify that. Now post up those graphs with TQ, and RPMS Gregg!

-George
GT Motorsports
Old 07-21-2007, 05:23 PM
majik16106

[QUOTE=paranormal]i guess im getting majik invisible cam's in my car then QUOTE]

I have cams?
Old 07-21-2007, 06:08 PM
Bullitproof

Originally Posted by InjectedPerf
Thanks to everyone that has congratulated us. I know there are will always be skeptics. We built the car to see if we could push the limits of the VQ and I believe that some of the off the shelf parts are not able to make the power we wanted to. I would say that GTM has pushed the limits of the APS Extreme Fuel System and APS Extreme Turbo System. We have always done stuff a little different, first with the single turbo GT42 2 years ago and now with the single turbo GT47. Don't get me wrong, this is our drag car.

You might see this motor or one like it in my 06' street driven 350z with a pair of turbos, our twin pump return fuel system (that was developed along with our GT42 turbo) and a six speed transmission or in a G35. Who knows. We were able to find out what the Brian Crower Stroker Kit and L19 studs can handle. So far everything looks really good. We will not stop here, just need to focus on some customer's cars, other project cars, and of course the Haltech Platinum PnP system. More to be released this week. We didn't make it to the track on Friday due to the driveshaft Driveshaftshop.com supplied to us was larger than the driveshaft loop we had ready to install. Our local metal store was already closed and I won't take a car to the track without the safety loop. I have broken too many driveshafts back in the Supra days. Larry knows all about that

Thanks again,

Greg
Can you give out any info on your twin pump fuel system? i feel i speak for a lot of board members in saying that we are waiting for a viable kit to hit the market besides the APS extreme kit and the AAM maxflo pump upgrade.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:16 PM
wayneside

greg - awesome man!
Old 07-21-2007, 06:45 PM
centxdsm

Originally Posted by GurgenPB
I know what you are saying...

Let me reserve my judgement until I see a proper rpm plot.

I am not sure why the TC would cause such a drop in power at the top end. The faster the TC spins hte lower its STR (torque multiplication) and the higher it's power transmission though the liquid medium (AT fluid). TC sslip is really almost always an issue on the low end, when there is a large differential between the impeller and wheel/tranny side of torque converter.

As far as the hot-side of the turbo is concerned...this is why I was asking about the A/R....that would generally asnwer the question. Again, we need to see the rpm plot to be sure of the flow characteristics.

As far the compressor map is concerned, that is a direct indication of the flow as a function of the shaft/impeller speed. So, once the shaft spins up, that will bring the compressor flow diagram into perspective, as that will allow you to see what the boost is. This is generally a very efficient turbine, as is the case is with MOST if not all large frame turbos...79% peak efficiency is pretty good... and is harder to attain with smaller turbos. The only one that does is the PE1420 that has 79% efficiency at low flow levels, thanks to its dual impeller design. Others peak out at 74-76%.

So, this GT4718 turbo would get into it's higher efficiency range at 10-11K rpm, as you can see from the plot. And this plot is VERY accurate, more so it's customized for their elevation, temperature, VE, and no pressure drop (in the last two cases I put in optimistic values so that it would help the graph looked better than it would if the VE were lower, etc). If you are NOT gonna spin the engine that high, which is the case with the VQ35, and you are gonna attain higher flow on the count of higher boost (as the rpm lines move further to the right with higher boost), then you need to pick a smaller compressor and a higher A/R housign to account for the higher flow at higher boost levels. This scenario would only penalize the spool up time (slower), but once it IS spooled up to boost, the comrpessor would indeed be at a higher efficiency... and THAT's exactly what I am talking about. This is what constitutes good turbo sizing R&D.
On the converter issue, I have seen ls1 dyno graphs where the point where the converter flashes is late enough to inflate peak power which could be the case here. Then, the power would fall back to its "normal" level and the high end decline would be caused by some of this. The graph doesn't look that way to me though, but it would explain the drastic drop in whp. I would like to see an rpm plot as well. I was reading the the BC kit uses an 88 mm stroke and 100mm bore. If that is the case then the motor sure has a lot of rev potential even with the large displcement.
I too don't want to come off as too negative/skeptical, but a 300whp drop from peak to redline raises one's brow.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Joeschmoe

Originally Posted by InjectedPerf

Thanks again,

Greg

I'm not taking anything away from your guys accomplishments but with an unlocked converter this is a prime example of what can happen. And especially, if you are familiar with Supra's then you'll know that 27 PSI on a GT4788 will not put you anywhere near 1000whp .

It's great that you guys are getting there, and I am curious as to how it performs on the track, which is where it counts anyways. Where all correction factors, misreadings, etc are put aside. Anyways crank up the boost.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:55 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That is insane, Id love to feel what that feels like from a dig with traction...
Old 07-21-2007, 08:33 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeschmoe
I'm not taking anything away from your guys accomplishments but with an unlocked converter this is a prime example of what can happen. And especially, if you are familiar with Supra's then you'll know that 27 PSI on a GT4788 will not put you anywhere near 1000whp .

It's great that you guys are getting there, and I am curious as to how it performs on the track, which is where it counts anyways. Where all correction factors, misreadings, etc are put aside. Anyways crank up the boost.

+1 on cranking up the boost more and see where it can go

more displacement should help on the vq vs the 2jz... the heads flow better ...intake manifold needs work.. ia m sure there is something else also though...
Old 07-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Joeschmoe

Originally Posted by centxdsm
On the converter issue, I have seen ls1 dyno graphs where the point where the converter flashes is late enough to inflate peak power which could be the case here. Then, the power would fall back to its "normal" level and the high end decline would be caused by some of this. The graph doesn't look that way to me though, but it would explain the drastic drop in whp. I would like to see an rpm plot as well. I was reading the the BC kit uses an 88 mm stroke and 100mm bore. If that is the case then the motor sure has a lot of rev potential even with the large displcement.
I too don't want to come off as too negative/skeptical, but a 300whp drop from peak to redline raises one's brow.
A GT47 will not be highlighted for its accomplishments in the mid range of a VQ35. There's no reason why with this turbo, that you're not trying to find ways to increase the rev limit in order to yield the full potential of the turbo. It should continually / drastically gain power all the way to redline.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:49 PM
SnakeBitten

Originally Posted by Joeschmoe
Yeah maybe on a Supra but this aint a Supra....Its a 4.2l V6 with better flowing heads etc.....Not a guru by any stretch but just seems like comparing a 2jz output to an engine thats a good bit bigger and has better flowing heads is not apples and oranges...
Old 07-22-2007, 12:44 AM
taurran

Quick question-

Are you running the HKS headgaskets on this car? Any other head gasket/stud/strengthening modifications other than the L19's and the gaskets?
Old 07-22-2007, 03:35 AM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

Originally Posted by taurran
Quick question-

Are you running the HKS headgaskets on this car? Any other head gasket/stud/strengthening modifications other than the L19's and the gaskets?

100mm Cosworth headgasket
Stock size L19 head studs
Injected Performance billet main girdle
Old 07-22-2007, 03:48 AM
JuanFunction2ND
Sponsor
Function:Tuned

awsome #'s congrats

Quick Reply: Injected Performance bringing in the first four digit dyno number: 1016rwhp DD