Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My unenviable experience concerning BuiltZMotors

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 07:05 PM
Mr_pharmD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tabbott
Damn is all I can say! BuiltZMotors FTL!

what is FTL?
Old 08-08-2007, 07:06 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
what is FTL?
For the Loss
Old 08-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Jason333
hi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
what is FTL?
For The Lose
Old 08-08-2007, 07:09 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by chris'smax
BTW am i the only one that notices that GTM's rates are a little on the HIGH side.

I mean come on, you guys charge almost $600 for a compression & leak down test. I know you guys do good work, but Jesus. And yes i know what is involved in performing each of these procedures as i have performed them on my personal cars before.
Well let me explain to you what that charge included:

1. Performing a DRY compression test.
2. Performing a Leak down Test.
3. Performing a WET compression test.
4. Removing valve covers.
5. Inspecting ALL valve clearances which includes rotating the engine to reach TDC on each cylinder.

FYI I know there will be some criticism on our pricing but most people don't know whats involved in doing a GOOD and thorough diagnostic, it takes much longer than most people think. I think this is more than fair for the amount of work and experience involved to do this procedure correctly.

-George
GT Motorsports
Old 08-08-2007, 07:12 PM
doug

George.. as long as you guys keep getting positive feedback and fixing other peoples mistakes.. you will always have business.. no matter how much you are charging.. People pay for good service.. and everything that comes out of GTM is Golden
Old 08-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Conceyted

Amazingly scary. I feel for you man, keep your head up. Keep us posted!
Old 08-08-2007, 07:15 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

While it's rough having an invoice out there in the public forum for scrutiny, I don't think it's such a bad thing for those that want to know how much it costs to have such work done by a top shop...

As long as the customer gets what they pay for and are happy with the result...
Old 08-08-2007, 07:16 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by doug
George.. as long as you guys keep getting positive feedback and fixing other peoples mistakes.. you will always have business.. no matter how much you are charging.. People pay for good service.. and everything that comes out of GTM is Golden
Thank you Doug for your comment, We are human so if we ever do make a mistake all we can do is stand behind it 150%

-George
GT Motorsports
Old 08-08-2007, 07:25 PM
Infinus

Originally Posted by George@GTM
Thank you Doug for your comment, We are human so if we ever do make a mistake all we can do is stand behind it 150%

-George
GT Motorsports
now if only builtZmotors would take that philosophy this nightmare would end.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:33 PM
chris'smax

Originally Posted by George@GTM
Well let me explain to you what that charge included:

1. Performing a DRY compression test.
2. Performing a Leak down Test.
3. Performing a WET compression test.
4. Removing valve covers.
5. Inspecting ALL valve clearances which includes rotating the engine to reach TDC on each cylinder.

FYI I know there will be some criticism on our pricing but most people don't know whats involved in doing a GOOD and thorough diagnostic, it takes much longer than most people think. I think this is more than fair for the amount of work and experience involved to do this procedure correctly.

-George
GT Motorsports
Calm down George don't get your panties in a bunch

Regardless neither of those procedures are intense sense you have already removed the upper plenum so access is not a issue. Regardless i still think you guys do good work and sometimes it is worth paying more than neccessary just for peace of mind in knowing that everything is done correctly. One thing that could play a major role in this is that the labor rates are higher in Cali than Louisiana(one of the cheaper places to live in the U.S.)
Old 08-08-2007, 07:37 PM
chris'smax

if its a good product or good service.. you are going to pay top dollar.. either that or have that other shop in San Diego do the old bait and switch

I guess i am just spoiled

One of my good buddies owns a shop in town (easily the best performance shops in the area) and he has taught me alot and done alot of work for me at 0 charge. I consider myself very lucky becuase he will let me use his racks, then comes over when he has time and helps me and teaches me along the way. I sometimes forget how much mechanic work can add up to when they are preying on the unknowlegable sheep
Old 08-08-2007, 07:40 PM
doug

Originally Posted by chris'smax
they are preying on the unknowlegable sheep
as i have said before.. i have done everything from transmission, motorswap, turbo kit install, brakes.. you name it .. i did it on my maxima.. and i don't consider myself unknowledgable sheep when i decided to have MRC do all the work on my car rather than taking days off work to do it myself. Just because people can afford it doesn't make them any less knowledgable than you are.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:43 PM
chris'smax

as i have said before.. i have done everything from transmission, motorswap, turbo kit install, brakes.. you name it .. i did it on my maxima.. and i don't consider myself unknowledgable sheep when i decided to have MRC do all the work on my car rather than taking days off work to do it myself. Just because people can afford it doesn't make them any less knowledgable than you are.

woah calm down man i am not reffering to you or anyone else in this thread. I should have clarified that (my bad). I am speaking in general terms(ie shops taking advantage of a little old lady).

Btw i do not consider myself a expert BY ANY MEANS. Hell most of the time i am learning as i go, thats why i am always breaking ****
Old 08-08-2007, 07:44 PM
stormcrow

subscribing for Todd's response - wondering why he hasn't done so already...
Old 08-08-2007, 07:46 PM
chris'smax

Originally Posted by stormcrow
subscribing for Todd's response - wondering why he hasn't done so already...

maybe he is going to go w/ the SGP tactic
Old 08-08-2007, 07:46 PM
JoeDirtPharmD

Damn Don.. you been through alot this year.. i feel for you man.. car.. relationship .. you are a strong man.. i applaud you.. maybe due to your profesion and profesionalism.. most people would have started shooting people already..

Hope everything turns around for you Don.. i wish you all the best
Add to the fact I'm going to be 30 in two weeks - it's certainly been a red-letter year But, thank you for the kind words

To all: With regards to the pricing per GTM - I recognize that repair/diagnostics is an hourly expense, and the rates are in-line with AZ... 'tis the price you pay for assurance and thoroughness. GTM's reputation with regards to repair and outcomes speaks for iteself, and I take their word at face value. I asked for 3 Maps, and the pricing on the invoice was exactly what it would have cost in-state, so $1000 is equitable in my view. Sam spent a full day and a half with my car alone trying to tweak it, so the stated rate is more than fair.

Do not place GTM in a position to explain the stated charges - I perform most of my own install/R&R work and am intimately familiar with industry rates - the information in the invoice was OK'd by me and should not be perceived as exorbitant.

Last edited by JoeDirtPharmD; 08-08-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:47 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

I might have a unenviable experience

Stay tuned
Old 08-08-2007, 07:49 PM
chris'smax

Originally Posted by eagletanggreen
I might have a unenviable experience

Stay tuned

Why do you have one of his motors? I thought Sharif was building yours?
Old 08-08-2007, 07:50 PM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

GTM is a shop where the term "you get what you pay for" comes into play. they stand behind there work 100% and spend extra hours on peoples cars and make sure they get them back perfect.. IMHO i would pay for that type of service everytime if i had to choose between joes backyard shop and a high quality shop i would choose the high quality shop.

its like day care for you kid.. do you leave your kid with crackhead grandma for 5 bucks a hour or do you leave your kid with a licensed day car professional for 10 bucks a hour

me being out of the counrty makes it very difficult to do any work on my car. so i pay to get my work done. does that mean i cant do it? no it dosnt. ive done a bunch of turbo installs and motor pulls on cars and i do have access to tools and lifts but do i trust my friends with my 80 thousand dollar "investment" and i say that with a laugh knowing full well i will never get my money back on it.. haha

once your into a build this far its almost retarded not to make sure you tune and things are perfect... why take a chance?

baaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Old 08-08-2007, 07:51 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

someone put the link to this thread in the BuiltZmotors thread trying to sell a engine. Good work guys cant wait to hear response and if this has already been said sorry im tired and playing a demo of stranglehold and on here

Quick Reply: My unenviable experience concerning BuiltZMotors